Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Summit Vs Jegs vs. RockAuto vs.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Hey guys before I become a loyal customer to any of the big online parts store. What's the good bad and ugly on the parts they manufacture.
    Guys at my job are Jegs guys
    20180406_152608.jpg
    How about you, and why.
    Appriciate it, Ronnie.

2. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Summit. Fast shipping, next day most of the time. Free if over $100. Can't get a lot of stuff shipped to california because cancer. Rock Auto is good, but you have to pay shipping on everything. Even with shipping, prices are better than local stores.

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

The only thing I would add is that rock auto sells some cheap junk too so if buying rock auto at least buy the better quality stuff. I've seen a lot of their cheap front end parts come thru the shop that I wouldn't use on a used lot car.

4. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I shop them all! They're like Grocery Stores. Within 1-mile we can pay over double for a gallon of milk, but 1/3 for other products. My Wife literally shops at 4-different Grocery Stores, and the same goes for any Retailer. I do like Rock Auto's Parts Comparison, so you can choose what best suits your needs. Summit and Jegs probably have the most un-user-friendly websites.

54vicky, patmanta, weeniewawa and 5 others like this.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

I've bought most of my new stuff from Speedway. Super fast and they also have free shipping if you order over $99.

6. greybeard360

greybeard360

None of them manufacture anything. All three sell parts from most of the same vendors that do. Find an item you want, search all three with vendor name and part number. Compair price and shipping.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. I've almost always ordered from Summit, sometimes from Speedway, never from Jeg's. I'm sure Jeg's is a good bunch, it just seems they are understandably more race/competition oriented and that's not really where I'm at. Summit has always treated me right, quick shipping and prices seem fair. I've never ordered from Rock Auto, but I think I need to establish an account there and use them.

8. No you just need to make sure everything you are ordering is coming from the same warehouse and they indicate if it is or not during the order process.

9. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Rock Auto also sends me someone else's parts sometimes too.

bobss396 and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  10. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Me too for the same reason. Don't hate me but I buy from Amazon too. I've bought Speedway from E-pay and Amazon both and saved on shipping.(Amazon Prime) I like being able to pick brands from Rock Auto.

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I buy from them all; Speedway, Jegs, Macs, Amazon, Summit, Ecklers and occasionally Rock Auto. Naturally I shop around for the best price with shipping, so really I have no preferences as long as I can access what I need.
    It's still more cost effective for me than buying locally and that's even with international freight. I recently purchased some engine parts from Jegs and when I queried the inordinate delay with no tracking number being provided, was I advised that the item was not in stock and on back order.

12. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Because cancer? You mean carcinogenic products?
    Thanks for replying

13. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks, I've noticed they at times have 2-4 choices at different price ranges.

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Good to know

15. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I forgot about Speedway.

16. used all of those
    I like rockauto when I am not in a hurry
    they have lots of different grades of parts
    however, items that may go out on the road like water and fuel pumps I purchase from the chain store places
    they are great for returns

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I'm lucky Jeg's is in town, and if they don't have it at the store I can just go pick it up at the warehouse!
    I still do "mail order" from time to time, mostly E-pay!
    KK

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  18. I'm a big fan of summit. For one it's easy to search what you want, fantastic service, rarely but if there's a problem they fix it quick. They don't have much in the traditional hot rod section .

I'm a big fan of Amazon, spending money there always goes further plus I get fuel Perks.
    Late model stuff mostly and the savings can be far beyond "quite substantial". Not just car stuff either. I always chech there first though.

Speedway has been pretty good too. It's where you'll find most stuff you need and a bunch of shit you dont
    RJ is a great hotrod/speed shop too.

Jegs is ok in my limited use of them.

19. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks Anthony I'm going to have to throw away this whole loyalty thing and just use all of them like you and other are advising. I've never heard of Ecklers so I'm going to look them up.

20. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Is it free to get summit to give you a monthy catalog sent to your home?

21. I just bought vette style rams horn manifolds from them (ecklers)
    they had them for $58 a set raw
    I got the black coated set for $117
    so far so good

22. edit......rockauto is for when Im not in a hurry

I have a commercial account through one of our chain stores
    and a very good relationship with the commercial sales person
    the discount puts the price near rockauto sometimes

walmart also has a lot of good prices and you can pick up at the store

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  23. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I looked online for RJ and got two companies one is rjays.com and the other is rjspeed.com, which one were you talking about?
    Thanks

24. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Ok, they must take a while then

25. sometimes
    they ship from many warehouses so it depends on your location and which warehouse the part is at
    I always choose their cheapest shipping option, the express is not worth the $ due to my commercial account at another store

26. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks that's good to know I thought they manufactured parts in thier own name so thanks for clearing that up for me. Makes more sense now. Appriciate your post @greybeard360

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. 54vicky likes this.
  28. Summit and Speedway has been very good on timely shipping for me

29. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks everybody. Now I'm not going in blind, hope this helps others too.

30. For some parts they do have private label exclusives, summit has a lot of that.
    They don't manufacture it, but the get substantial discounts, stick their name on it and pass that savings on to us.

Just Gary and Donuts & Peelouts like this.