Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Ford Vicky project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kgdb, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Hello everyone, well fall will soon be here and thats allowing be me to get back at the 56. Not a lot of updates as of late. Today I got a few parts painted, will get a few more done this weekend hopefully and then I can start to re assemble the front end........

Attached Files:

54delray and loudbang like this.
  2. A few more parts painted today......

Attached Files:

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

They are all nice and clean again, the joy of freshly painted parts.

54delray likes this.
  4. The 351C is a beefy motor but it starts to disappear when the sheet metal starts to go back together. lol

Attached Files:

• 1111.jpg
      1111.jpg
      File size:
      120.1 KB
      Views:
    UNSHINED 2 and loudbang like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like it but I sure would like to have seen 56 Olds headlights. On my strip and repainted I need the rear left side wind crack repaired also. I like the strong back and have suggested that to the shop that's going to do it. Many cover it up with Merc side trim. Looks great...keep posting.

6. a.jpg

Rad in and a few knick knacks taken care of.

Attached Files:

• b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      146 KB
      Views:
  7. loudbang

loudbang

WOW looking GOOD.

54delray likes this.
  8. Thanks. I am getting to the fun parts now.

9. A bit more painting done.......... parts painting.jpg

10. loudbang

loudbang

That is some good looking SMOOTH paint. What brand you using ?

54delray likes this.
  11. For the inners I am just using Nason (single stage urethane).

12. Bit more progress. I will get there yet! :)
    air ducting.jpg

13. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Very sanitary! I like.

54delray likes this.
  14. Nice work, coming along nicely. What did you use for the connector for the heater blower to the inner fender?

15. The tube from the heater blower to the inner fender is the same tubing I used for the air duct tubes. It is 4 inch rad hose from semi`s and big trucks. Very nice stuff and trims very easy to the correct lengths.

54delray and Copper Top like this.
  16. 54vicky

54vicky

I would suggest turning the clamps around it will be neater looking once fenders are on.other than that it is looking great.

54delray likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kgdb what are the tags on the firewall? My 56 tag is at the left side seen when you open the door. Looks great, mine has been stripped of all its chrome/stainless by me and I'm having all the paint remove for a repaint. Had bubbling from the first restoration.

18. They were just sort of in any position in that pic but today I replaced the rubber on the air duct flappers and have them rotated to the back now.

19. One tag is the vin the other is model information. Thanks

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weird. Mines all on one and I've never seen two used.

54delray likes this.
  21. Might be different here in Canada?

54delray likes this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What have you've been up to for the last six months?

23. apr 2017.jpg
    Well, Thanks for remembering me! haha Well a fair bit of progress but noting that would be to interesting in pictures. I pretty much have completed all the mechanical work. Brakes done and a great pedal feel, Steering rack done, new fuel tank, fuel lines all complete, 9" finished and drive shaft complete and in, underhood most all smalls are done. I guess now I hope back on the body. I will run the new harness when I have the body under high build.... and keep on truckin along......

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  24. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Hello kgdb. Everything old is new again. Had a very good friend in South Carolina back in the early70s who had a 56 post with the same fore (T-Bird bumper/grill) and aft (Dodge tail lights) treatment. At the same time I replaced the 312 Y-block in my 56 Vicky with a 351 Cleveland. BTW, you may have missed a VERY important step when you repaired the cracked rear quarter panels on your car - post #37

[​IMG]

The reason the quarters crack (more often on the driver side) is because the quarter panel brace was not sufficiently welded at the time of assembly. This is an "L" shaped reinforcement inside the body that ties the door jamb to the floor pan. Put a few evenly spaced beads on it and your quarters will not crack again. I made this repair on my '56 after a body man tipped me off. People slam doors and this causes the quarter panel to flex and eventually crack at the rear C pillar (like yours did). If you don't tighten up the "L" reinforcement, the quarters will crack again, no matter how good your reweld is. My Vicky has been in mothballs for way too long and yes, I know Y-blocks are back in vogue, but the Cleveland turned my Ford into a tiger and I'm not going back. Love your car. lucas

25. Thanks Lucas. You could have a point. missing that center pillar certainly does allow the frt of the 1/4 (door opening area) to move slightly. The brace in there looks substantial and well welded in. I will have to give this a closer look.

26. Slow and steady wins the race..... 88.jpg

27. Hello all, been MIA for a long while now. Soon (December) I retire again for the second time and will be back on the 56, will post updates on the progress.........

28. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Looking good, nice work.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Slow and steady wins the race! All mechanical now 100% finished! Back on to the body and its down hill....

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      148.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      143.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg