Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Parking in the Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike in tucson, Mar 25, 2018.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

When there is a will, a way will be found ! And in youth, the will/drive is very strong. The motion in the ocean, wait, side thought, that's in a water bed. Have told a few funny stories on this subject here, one that came to me this AM. (It's Good Friday, Church thoughts) Around 10/11 playing Dr with neighbor girl, being a good girl she goes to confession, Priest has the girl, her parents, myself and my MOM come in for a "Talk" A Big Sinful DEAL in his eyes, got our Butts chewed out, Blah, Blah, Blah for quite awhile and when we left my Mom said to me, You did nothing wrong, you are not going to burn in Hell, what you kids were doing has been going on since the beginning of time and will go on till the end of time. I miss my MOM, passed away, 1979, gave me good advice, raised me well, hopefully, years down the road after I'm gone my kids will think well of me.

2. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

We could recreate the pictures BUT 52 years after the fact might result in pictures that you really don't want to see!! Paint might sag when it is fresh but humans sag much later....ugh!

3. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

And, its also wise to avoid hot wings if you are anticipating hanky panky later in the evening
    (the wife still reminds me of that one 20 years later)

Bobby

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. Was 196 #'s

Was 196 #'s

I can’t recall ever going parking with the ex-wife. Basically, I went out on a first date with her and didn’t go home for the next 18 or 19 years. But I can think of a few times I wanted to park the car on top of her. Does that count for this thread?

She’s not “the Ex” for no reason . . .

5. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

The little league park had a bunch of low hanging pepper trees. I had a 57 sedan delivery.
    I wonder if my folks ever worried about me having THAT car in high school.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure a lot of us got a lot of "1st hand" information in the back seat of a "2nd hand" car!

7. Deuces

Deuces

How about the front bench in a Nova?????......:rolleyes:
    Yeah, that one was tricky...:)

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Especially with a 4 speed.....:mad:

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

O/T Austin Healey 100-4 at the drive in with the top down.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Local moving and storage between the vans getting things moving.

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Michigan used to have some car washes with roll up doors for the winter. Just pick a rainy day or night and pull in and close the doors. Hiding in plain sight.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  12. In high school, I had a 69 Firebird. Bucket seats, centre console. My buddy had a 70 Nova, bench seat and column shift.
    He always complained that the bench seat and column wasn't sporty enough, wanted buckets and a console like mine had. I would remind him how much better a bench was for parking on the weekend. He ended up putting in bucket seats, and about two weeks later, got caught in bed at the girlfriends house. Her dad threatened him within an inch of his life.
    Wasn't too happy when I reminded him that he never got caught when he had a bench seat...

13. Deuces

Deuces

Did it in a lake once during a camping trip....
    That's one of those things that a person never forgets.... ;)

14. LOL I have been parking at Bennett Springs in the middle of the day before. :D

When I was in high school there were two place that I really liked, one of was west(ish) of Forest Grove, OR called David's Hill. The other was a place called Lee's Falls way out by this little country town called Cherry Grove. OR.

The wife and I like Bear River State park on I80 on Wyoming. LOL

*The wife and I have been parking at all those places married or not and still if we get the chance. :D

@Johnny Gee this one's for you

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_4761.JPG I saw this 55 Buick at the Portland Roadster show this year and although it is fully restored it brings back a lot of interesting memories from 1966/67. Best parking car I ever owned. DocFile (6).jpg

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Was gassing up my 53 Ranch Wagon at a gas station in South Ga. about 8 years ago and an older gentleman came walking up with his cane and walked around my wagon about 3 times until he got out of earshot from his wife and winked at me and said my car was just like the first car he ever had sex in.
    He hobbled on off over to his wife and got in his car with the biggest grin on his face. For a brief minute it took him back to many years in his past.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I had the ultimate Hot Rod "parking" vehicle in 1961-62, the high school driving days. upload_2018-4-5_3-56-19.png
    It was private in the back, when the curtains were draped across the rear window and just behind the seats. There was a small air mattress rolled up for our camping trips. (A cooler, and lots of space.) It was just made for some kinds of shenanigans back there. When the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery was on a deserted street near our secret surf spots, no one knew who or what was in the back.

Many Police/Sheriff/CHP cars cruised by, looked inside the cab, used a flashlight, and knocked on the door. But, as long as we were quiet, they did not know who or what was in the back. It was to them, an empty sedan delivery just parked legally in a neighborhood. Our friends that were sleeping in the back of the old station wagons were actually rousted and made to move to the nearby state park. Our friends knew we were in the back of the sedan delivery, but, mum was the word.

This scenario took place on many days and nights throughout the summer and weekends. But, as long as we were quiet, it was ok, as we did not disturb the neighborhood residents. So, with all of this empty space and private quarters in the back, why did not more actual dating action take place?

Jnaki

The girls loved driving around in the front seats and sitting on towels/blankets in the back, when we were going from one party to the next or the beach. They even liked sitting in the back at the local hangouts. But, on dates, they preferred going in the 1958 Impala. Sure, the big bench seats in the Impala and the room in the back seat were great, but it was not the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery for space and privacy. There were too many flashlights and "move along warnings..." Aaww…
    upload_2018-4-5_3-57-58.png
    Teenage space, privacy, and practicality goes unused…sheesh…

18. Drew Burgess

Drew Burgess

I'm cracking up! I had a '66 Galaxie 4-door in H.S. My grandfather asked me if I had been out to the submarine races in it and I had no idea what he meant, though I knew his sense of humor so I figured it was some kind of joke...to which I replied "oh yeah man, all the time." He cracked up.
    but now that I have actual confirmation on the term, I can verify. Galaxies have to be one of the best at submarine racing.
    haha! wow.

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D,
    "Submarine Races" happen to be a new concept for us growing up. Since we lived near the Terminal Island Navy Base, we thought there were actual submarine races off of the So Cal coastline. Some older guy in our neighborhood said it was fun to watch and participate in the revelries... what ever that meant back then. He chuckled while telling us, but we had no clue what he was telling us. Old hot rod guys playing tricks on the neighborhood youngsters.

For years, when our dad took us on the great, Palos Verdes coastline drive to Marineland and beyond to Torrance, my brother and I were always looking for a couple of submarines, racing on the surface of the waters just off of the cliff top highway. We even looked for the periscopes making wakes...Some joke on us. Ha!

Jnaki
    It wasn't until we met some girls in high school that had never experienced the so called "Submarine Races." Those were some interesting times. I think they were more impressed by the night time motoring and view of the coastline on those long cruising drives.

By the way, those old guys are now gone, since we are so much older these days.

Stogy likes this.
  20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Album was "Ventures in Space" in 1964. You're right about the car, though. Bitchin' ride.

21. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Yes The Telstar tune wasn’t on that album. We started the conversation about that White bucket on post#20 of this thread. @Stogy helped me out with a lot of the music information because I had that Ventures tune confused with that album cover. @Stogy posted the cover with the song on it. Always liked the music the Ventures made. Thanks for the input @alanp561, I learn a lot, here on the H.A.M.B. NEVER to old to teach old dogs....isn’t that the truth.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where was the Hotrod Deuces?...:D

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looked up the album and came up with history on the white T bucket. Originally built in Massachusetts by owner Fred Steele and Don Spinney who did most of the construction on the roadster. Car was featured in February 1966 issue of Popular Hot Rodding. Information courtesy of TBucketPlans,com. Look it up, there's a lot of neat information there.

25. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Ah yes, parking with the radio on.....and the car wouldn't start afterward.....thus the rule to always park on a downhill slope. So much to learn when you're young.

26. Deuces

Deuces

I had an o/t '69 Camaro back in the early 80s..... :D