Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What is the 'perfect' '35-'36 3-window chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Surf City, Apr 4, 2018.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Guys... this is a thread about chopped coupes. No need for 47 dudes piling on saying they prefer them unchopped. You’re not changing anyone’s mind, just mucking up the thread. Plus, everyone knows they look better chopped, ya weirdos!

So many different approaches to chopping one of these cars, tough to say one way looks better than others. Here’s one I’ve been chipping away at as time allows. It belonged to a good pal who has since passed. He started chopping it at one point and life got in the way and he never completed the job. I recut it another inch to clean up some of the work and give it a little more aggressive profile. Seems like the current trend is to try to get the door tops as perfectly rounded symmetrical half moon shaped as possible. Looks clean and I can appreciate the work involved but it doesn’t look like any of the classic chopped 3w’s from the 40s and 50s that I love. I like them with some scowl!

46836DC5-769D-492D-8286-D5F824D1FB18.jpeg

As a side note, I am looking for some 36 rear fenders. Ideally, I would trade the 35s that are currently on the car. Could also use a few sections of trunk gutter and maybe surrounding sheet metal above the deck lid.?.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    clem, tr_rodder, redoxide and 10 others like this.
  2. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pictures of the last two cars tell me all I need to know. Who's a weirdo?

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Me too!
    I guess some people just like shiny bling over aesthetically pleasing shape and traditionally customized cars! Not that there’s anything wrong with that! Hah!

WARNING: That was a joke for the humor impaired.

Hey @Surf City since it’s the only topic anyone wants to discuss, maybe you should change the thread title to “why unchopped 3w’s are perfect and shouldn’t be touched”. Jeez....

5. Gotta love the HAMB......all the answers to questions nobody asked! LOL

6. 48stude

48stude

A chopped 36 3W is on my bucket list. Bill

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Ever since this thread was started I tried to do a google search on Marcellus?, but as you can see I butchered his name and can't even get close to the spelling to find anything on his chops. Please refresh my lack of memory!
    Also, on the HAMB somewhere there is an article picked out of one of the old mag's on how to chop a '36, finding it would just be more free info.................
    Has Flop ever done a '36 or his he just a Deuce chopper?

Surf City likes this.
  8. Hey Lon,

the name you're looking for is Marcel. I've got an article on one of his chops that spanned two Street Rodder issues, May and June 2004. He cuts them half way up the back pillar then pie cuts the top and bottom to get a good match. Way too risky with my limited metalwork experience. I'm looking to cut just above the lower suage where there is a lot more strength, not way out into no mans land!:eek:
    Lots of other valuable information in the article tho'.

Bear:)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Definitely! Thanks for your input. I've seen some nice chops that sit way too high, and some ugly chops with a perfect stance.

Hopefully I've got all the other factors covered, just need to get the chop spot on now...

Car as it sits today
    20180401_160720.jpg

And an older shot mocked up with the fenders and front sheetmetal.
    20150105_202906.jpg

10. [​IMG]

Man I really like this. A bit of a haircut and it’s perfect

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Flop tells me he has a 36 3w on his schedule coming up. Looking forward to seeing how he tackles it.

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Flop has an excellent eye for proportions & flow, hope he's not restricted by the customer/owner idea's unless their on the same page...........................................
    Bear, Just posted that so you & everyone else interested could see the diff. ways to chop and the out come of the slicing and dicing.
    When I had my 3/W I too did a lot of investigation into the old & new ways to chop and came away with the same idea as you, cut low on suage (as you call it) for ease and strength, less chance of warping and the chop looks great with that procedure. Have you done any photo chopping from all angles?

chryslerfan55 and Surf City like this.
  13. Bryan Rusk's being chopped at East Bay Speed and Custom 2v2JcH5kqx2Kus1.jpg 2v2JB58WNx2Kus1.jpg 2v2JB58Grx2Kus1.jpg 2v2JB58njx2Kus1.jpg

EVL401, barrnone50, bct and 14 others like this.
  14. EVL401, bct, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.

15. Nice!!! Was this cut low on the rear pillar or half way up? Has the back window had a full 2 1/2" cut too?

16. It was cut half way up, real similar to the coupe in K13's post above. Yes, cut through the rear window.

17. beater32

beater32

2 1/2" front and about 3" in back is good. Cut the rear window about 3/4" to an inch.

Sent from my ZTE R84 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Surf City and RMR&C like this.
  18. Hey, thanks for 'policing' that one for me!
    I thought we were all traditional HOT RODDERS on here. For a while there I thought I musta' posted this on the Ford Barn!:rolleyes::D

I appreciate that some guys like the stock roofline, and I have to say that I don't mind the look either, but they do definitely look better (well) chopped! So I ain't no weirdo!

So let's try and keep this on track and discuss and showcase CHOPPED cars, hopefully along with some actual measurements to use as a guide.

19. That's pretty close to where I am heading, but with a bit more out of the rear.
    Have you done this particular chop yourself and if so, have ya' got any pictures to add?

20. beater32

beater32

Chopped a couple, but not quite like that. I have that saved for my one...

Sent from my ZTE R84 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Thanks alchemy. I understand exactly what you're saying!
    The problem I have is that my car is being built in both styles. I have a couple inches adjustment in my rear suspension which will allow a hot rod rake when raised up (and no skirts) and when lowered there is a reverse taildragger rake to give the effect of a full blown custom with the addition of the skirts.
    It's a fine line to walk, and really critical that I hit the 'sweet spot' with my chop to make it work in both guises.

Haven't got pictures from the same angle to compare, but this is kinda the 'hot rod' ride height...

sideprofile.jpg

and this is the 'custom' stance....

rearlights7.jpg

And no, before anyone asks, there's no cheatin', its all traditional suspension stuff under there!

rearshockmount.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    EVL401, tr_rodder, barrnone50 and 5 others like this.
  22. annie36.jpg Calori Coupe is a my favorite... But don't think my 36 3 window is getting a hair cut at anytime soon..:D

23. JEDI363W

JEDI363W

Great stance. What about hitting the fenders when turning? I am having some issues with that running similar front height. (Sorry for off topic question)

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. It's all pretty tight in there. Since those pics I have fine tuned the front wheel offsets and changed the front brakes/hubs to sneak the wheels in closer to the 'peak' in the front fender. The way I have mine setup with the split bones mounting halfway up the outside of the rail probably restricts the turning radius anyways, and I'll attempt to gain a whisker when I bodywork the front fenders, so by the time I actually get it on the road I should have it 'finessed' to the point where I don't have any fender rub.

It ain't easy going low.....

chryslerfan55 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  25. JEDI363W

JEDI363W

No it sure isn't and I do not want to use bags. Most wheels seams to be made for fenderless cars, negativt offset or maybe zero in best case. What traction width have you obtained? Center to center measured on the centerline of the tires?

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Mine looks to be bang on 56" center to center.

chryslerfan55 and JEDI363W like this.
  27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Really like the rear license plate surround...

28. This is getting pretty close to perfect! I read somewhere that it's cut 2 3/4" front and 3 3/4" rear, and what looks to be a little bit less out of the rear window. Looks like the cut line halfway up the rear pillar. That one inch differential from front to rear seems to neutralize the taper in the side window.
    I've had mine marked out at 2 1/2" front and 3 1/2" rear for a couple of weeks now and this one makes me feel like I'm on the right track.

chryslerfan55 and alchemy like this.
  29. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Man surf city.. You have good vision.. I just noticed the cool placement of the tail lights too.. You get the chop right and you'll have one cool 36 3 window...

chryslerfan55 and Surf City like this.