Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration So-Cal Speed Shop Push Truck & Trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

So-Cal Speed Shop Push Truck & Trailer

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Sancho, Big Plan Dan and Jimmy B like this.
  2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Now they just need to do Keith Black's '59 Ranchero to go with the Greer-Black-Prudhomme car I have!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  3. Those are some big door hinges......

49ratfink likes this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I know what to ask for, for my birthday!!!

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

6. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

The truck pushing the coupe on the salt must have been quite a sight in their day: Ultra clean machines like many folks had never seen in the jalopy era. I'd guess they had under $10k in both vehicles combined, and that was probably amazing money to spend at the time. Contrast that today with drag racing teams having multiple cars and truck/trailer units, huge pit crews and shops. I know little about die cast but it looks like the folks at Acme did a great job and are old-school passionate about their work and products.

7. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Rollei,
    Would you settle for Eldon Dye/Donnie Hampton in their Comp Coupe and Ford Ranchero push car?
    upload_2018-4-5_7-35-6.png They made a changeover from the brown comp coupe to the blue 671 version.

Jnaki

Rolleiflex likes this.
  9. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Do you really think their trailer even remotely looked like that? If so they were really on the cutting edge.

10. Manufacturer simply using a scale trailer they already had, existing tooling etc.
    A more accurate offering would have been a single axle trailer with out fenders.
    so-cal-coupe004.jpg
    so-cal-coupe007.jpg

cactus1, HEMI32 and loudbang like this.
  11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That's what I would have expected to see. Lots of these manufacturers have no clue.

12. I didn't say they had no clue..... lol.
    Business decision..... Can't create new tooling for everything, they would go broke in a hurry.

K13 likes this.
  13. If I'd known about the so-cal push truck back when I built my 53-F100 I may have given it a similar paint job. 53truck.jpg

14. I need that truck to go with my So Cal coupe and lakester. Damn, I'm gonna' need a bigger display case!

HEMI32 and jnaki like this.
  15. flamingokid

flamingokid

I bought my ex-brother in law the SoCal '34 years ago as a Christmas present.Now, I wish I'd bought him socks and kept the car. ;)

16. Dean,

A diecast '41 Ford SO-CAL SPEED SHOP push truck would probably be more appropriate to display with your SO-CAL SPEED SHOP belly tank lakester:

SoCal Belly Tank Lakester & 41 Ford push truck - 1952.jpg

... though @Deuce Bruce Meyer did use (Frank & Mary Streff's re-creation of) the '53 F-100 SO-CAL SPEED SHOP push truck to get the belly tank to the awards podium at the 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance:

U-09 (10).JPG
    Bruce Meyer & Alex Xydias receiving the Dean Batchelor Trophy

U-09 (15).JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  17. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I don't mean to dis anyone, but I don't get diecasts. I built plastic kits starting when I was 6 or 7 years old until my late 40's. I never built one out of the box, always considered it an artistic release. Plastic kits are more accurate (notice the shape of the side window and those hinges). And like building a real car, provide a sense of accomplishment. Again, no intent to offend. As we say around here, do what you like.

18. And when someone does a So Cal '41 I will display it with my tank.

HEMI32 and flamingokid like this.
  19. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

My F-1 is an ex-push truck. That's one of my favorite things about it. Dash is signed by Linda Vaughn!

Petefiringoff.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 10.46.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 10.53.27 AM.png

charleyw and 53OlderThanMe like this.