Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought a 1956 dodge sierra wagon...thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1956DODGESEIRRA, Apr 3, 2018.

?
  1. yay

92.9%
  2. nay

7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

like it a bunch,always had a soft spot in my head for any wagon, different/odd/unique whatever...... if well done is all that matters.

1956DODGESEIRRA likes this.
  2. rjones35

rjones35

very cool!

3. cederholm

cederholm

4. ChefMike

ChefMike

looks great ! good luck with your project my wife wants one been looking

5. Thanks Mike. Bit off a lot with this one Haha
    Good luck with your search !

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. atch

atch

I'll second (or 3rd or 4th) the comments about the cool dash.

I have no idea where you can find a horn ring, but the steering wheel is restorable and there are some threads on here about how to do it. Use the search function.

I sure hope that those missing back side windows are flat glass. Flat is easy for any glass shop to replicate; curved will be a bitch to find.

Those original wheels painted black with dog dish (or baby moon) hubcaps will be a very inexpensive but very cool upgrade.

There are no pix of the upholstery. If it's not good just throw some blankets over the seats for now.

Now go get it running and drive the wheels off of it.

And put your location in your profile. We see that the title came from Corydon, Indiana. Is that where you are? One time about 20 years ago on the way home from the NSRA Nats in Louisville we found a really good restaurant in the old downtown part of Corydon. Probably not there any more.

7. I'm in Colorado springs Co. I did read an article about refinishing the steering wheel and I'll be tackling that after its running. Believe it or not....I have both back side windows wrapped and boxed In the garage and are not broke. Just ordered a complete wiring harness from speed way about 15 min ago. That will help get her purring again. As for the interior, it's all rotted and I basically just have the frames/ springs and bases/tracks. I'll be sitting on a home depot bucket for the first trip around the block lol

8. Thanks for the input !

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like it, I think it would be safe to say you could make a good profit pretty easily but I say keep it and have some fun, that could really be cool!
    Looks to have some perfect patina from this side for the patina lovers like me;)

10. Right! Thought about flippin it but that's not why I bought it. Goal is to work on it with my two sons and enjoy drive in movies and taking the boat to the lake...ect.Going to leave the patina for a few years

11. The Dodge Brothers tag would not be appropriate for your car as the "Dodge Brothers" name was used from 1914 through 1938. Switched to just "Dodge" in 1939.

12. 1956DODGESEIRRA likes this.
  13. I kinda thought the same too. Not period correct but it came with the car and it's cool. I'll just hold on to it

31Dodger likes this.
  14. Cowtown

Cowtown

The dash is in beautiful condition! I love it!

15. Thanks. It cleaned up way better than I expected ! Definitely stoked

16. Want to buy the tag? Lol

17. atch

atch

It's likely your local NAPA or O'Reilly (or whatever is local to you) parts house has your master cylinder.

low budget likes this.
  18. Rambler man Dan

Rambler man Dan

Looks like a great find at a great price! Love the 50's wagons! Especially the odd and rare.
    Good luck with the project.

1956DODGESEIRRA and low budget like this.
  19. Thanks dude

20. Rock auto "has" them on they're website for 86 bucks. I'll give it a shot. Lol thanks man

21. atch

atch

If you feel confident about it you could rebuild what you have for dirt cheap, IF you can find the rebuild kit.

b-t-w; I rebuilt the MC in Clarence (see my avatar) about 20 years ago and it has performed flawlessly ever since. The rubber cup in it was all that was wrong with it but I did the complete rebuild anyway. The rubber cup was probably the one installed at the Ford plant in 1948 and had hardened/cracked to the point that the brakes were sometimes almost non-existing. Of course the first symptom showed up halfway to the Back to the 50's show and all I could do was keep pumping them 'til I got to Saint Paul and found a rebuild kit at a local antique Ford parts house. I had never rebuilt a MC before but once I did it I'd be comfortable rebuilding any MC now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  22. Das is the problem. Is not in the box of parts other wise I would rebuild it. Mia along with a few others lol

23. I found re build kits for the wheel cylinders which I'm going to snag up tomorrow

24. Engine bay needs a bit of touching hahaha[​IMG]

25. Ain't it fun "finding" problems on the road!?lol Luckily I had some cool ass gear heads around me growing up who told me everything can be fixed/ rebuilt. So I'll keep that mentality till the day I die. Thanks for sharing that story! I absolutely love to hear people's experiences and stories.... keep em coming. Maybe I can buy you a beer one day and hear more

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

My son has a 57 version of your car. Its amazing how much stuff is different between your 56 and his 57. The 57 was suppose to be an "all new" car.

My son has a 57 4 door wagon parts car, but I don't know how many parts would interchange. A lot of the stuff used on the wagons also fit the 4 door sedans as well, there are a lot more 4 door sedans out there. Gene