Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Most Absurd Claim you've heard at a Car Show, Drag Race, Cruise Night, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, Mar 5, 2009.

1. ned5049

ned5049

Was at a cruise one afternoon and talking to the owner of a 34 ford pickup. We were both in our sixties at the time. He asked me what I was working on at home. Said I had 3 projects going on. He tells me I wouldn't live long to finish them! I walked away.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

These are all from the same guy from a single conversation.....

With his dad they built a hot rod. A guy buys the hot rod from them for his 16 year old son. A month later said 16 year old dies in horrible 100 plus mile an hour crash....

Pretty standard BS fodder.

He is out on a double date they park in a country church cemetery parking lot only find themselves surrounded by people dressed in black wearing white bow ties, apparently standard wear for Devil Worshipers. These black clothed bow tie wearing weirdos converge on the car slapping the hood and windows. This is not unlike a zombie attack except there was no brain eating other than my own from listening to this. He nearly had to run these weirdos over to get out of there.

He is visited by a very good friend at 3AM in the morning. They have a long pleasant conversation.....
    ( OK, what do you really talk about during a surprise visit at 3AM? I can think of my first topic. Ahhhh, what the hell are you doing here?)
    He is saddened to learn the next morning that his friend had died. He asked his mom what time he passed.....3AM.

He should have stopped there but he had one more.....

A buddy and him were riding ATVs up a old logging road. They find a black garbage bag in the road and decide to open it. Inside they find a.......missing Dead Baby.o_O

I mean Come On!!

Your hot rod kills people.....
    Midnight attack by bow tie wearing Devil Worshipers
    A Spectorial visit from a dead friend
    Discovery of a murder victim

J D Coop likes this.
  3. He was a real wanker for sure. Some people can't be happy unless they make everyone around them miserable.

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

I had to think about it...

but, I got it. :)

Rich

5. ned5049

ned5049

Got that right !

6. ned5049

ned5049

Was listening to a guy bragging about his Volare coupe/2 door. Said he had a 'built' 318 with cast iron pistons !

7. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I guess the only thing that really frosted my nuts was when I had my 54 F100 at a cruise night and I had just put a for sale sign in the window and a guy came up to me and asked how much. I told him the price and he just said "I can build it for half that".

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

"I had one just like your's" LOL

wicarnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. I had a lady ask me what my car was. I told her it was a '32 Ford Highboy Roadster. She was convinced it was an early Indy car.:eek::rolleyes: 21270990_1530656246979881_7265124734993465123_n.jpg

10. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

I worked with a guy some called Leo the Liar. Not sure why. He told me he and his brother drove his 65 GTO (maybe a 64) from KC, MO to the LA, CA area. His car had a 4.11:1 rear axle ratio and he was doing/averaging 80 mph all the way. He and his brother went out there to lay concrete for a company that needed their help. They helped them pour and level 100,000 cubic yards of concrete in one day. He said the cement trucks were lined up as far as the eye could see. After doing all this, they got back in the GTO and made it back to KC, MO in a day or so to be sure he could get back to work without missing too many days.

11. Duellym

Duellym

there's a few guys around here who cruise around in what they say is a "real 67 gt500" its a turd, unrestored and some homemade rear suspension bits to jack it up 70's street machine style... slapper bars and whatnot, tells me "see this?" points at a shelby tag on the fender support "that how you can tell its a real one" (you can buy the tags off ebay for like 5 bucks) the motors not original at all, blue thunder 2X4 intake, edlebrock heads billet oil filter mount, it has a white interior and the scoops don't match the rest of the body.

well I looked it up and its not a real one... idk why you'd lie its a cool car but it kinda just lowers my liking of the car when you try to pretend its a shelby not a half assed fastback clone.

12. samurai mike

samurai mike

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

“My car is faster than your car…” HA ! For all of those countless miles of driving the 58 black Impala in and around So Cal cruising spots, it was trouble free, with only one ticket for a 26 mph in a 25 zone. We did not lose a race to anyone except when the outer two carbs did not kick in during a race against an older friend. Immediately following the race, in the back row of the local drive in, with hoods raised, I found out that the vacuum hose connecting the outer two carbs fell off. During the race, I was running only with a two barrel center carb on full throttle. Even then, calling it close, it was a ½ front bumper loss.

After finding out what happened to my 348 motor, another challenge was thrown against my older friend’s 56 stroked Chevy Bel Air. He declined, knowing my car would have more power on the next trip down the “Cherry Avenue Drags.” He claimed his motor was shot after the narrow bumper lead and win. Even without the outer two carbs running on full power, I was able to keep up with the stroked 56 Chevy to the finish line, narrowly behind by ½ a chrome bumper. We were looking at each other all the way down the avenue.

Scenario: When we went back to the drive-in parking lot, the missing, outer two carburetor malfunction was found and corrected. The challenge was put up again. He told everyone that his motor is broken and cannot race again that night. For a stroked motor, it sounded pretty healthy and powerful. Absurdity, at its finest. He knew that with two more carbs on my Impala working correctly, there would be no contest in the next race. He was trying to save face in the light of new information and my, now healthy, 348 Impala.

Jnaki

But, he was sneaky, to this day, he claims a victory over the 58 Impala, despite the challenge to re do that race, that night in 1961. Now, he claims the title of the only car in Bixby Knolls that won a short race against my Impala. Lions Dragstrip official times put the Impala at least a .5 to almost a second faster in e.t. and speed.

For the other 99+ races, no further losses were encountered from all over So Cal, for the time period that I owned the Impala.

14. I always used to laugh at these meat heads until my friend Kelly built a 451 engine for his Dodge Dart (400 block with a 440 crank custom and short skirt pistons) and let me drive it. With a 3.91 gear in the shortened 8-3/4, that car would haze the tires when you downshifted and stomped on it at 50 mph. The 451 makes piles of torque, and the Dart was a pretty light car anyway... It had tubs and 10" wide McCreary's on it, but it would do it!

15. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Me and the wife we're at a cruise night. We parked the 57 and walked around for a bit. When we came back there were a couple guys checking out the car.
    I said "nice ride" one of the guys says "yeah, me and my buddy put it together in a couple weeks, it's got a 350 and a four speed and. . . " We got in the car and drove away. Priceless

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

WB69, safetythird, 26hotrod and 6 others like this.
  16. Hombre

Hombre

Man I love this story, that picture tells it all... very cool

26hotrod likes this.
  17. I always like the guys with the “original “ 427 cobras....... with a 302 ?????

“ yeah that’s how they made them”

And it been said, but how every 327 and 350 is a corvette block..... shit Chevrolet must have made 10,000,000 vettes in the 60’s alone !

Wrench666, 26hotrod and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. That's over 10,000 concrete trucks.....:p

26hotrod and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Just this past Saturday at a car show, a guy parked 2 spots over from me with a very nice 40 Tudor with a nicely dressed flathead. He was talking to the guy that was parked in between us, said he had his flathead up to 8500 rpms. He kept talking, because it has no overhead valves RPM's are basically limitless. I didn't say nothing, just turned and walked away.

26hotrod, 31hotrodguy and belair like this.
  20. rmorris

rmorris

One Friday night at Avilla Indiana Dragstrip, my buddy and I were waiting for 1st race in our L/SA chevy. Next to us was a group of racers who were having a few cold beers. One guy kept egging on his buddy. Would you do it for $10 . No. Would you do it for $20. No. Would you do it for $30. No. Would you do it for $50. Hell yes !!!! He then proceeded to run up to starting line, strip his clothes off, pre stage naked, got the green light and took off running the full 1/8 mile to the crowds delight. I forgot his time, but I still remember my first streaker !

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    BJR, 26hotrod and Tjompen like this.
  21. rmorris

rmorris

I met a guy that claimed he drove his rod to Florida after he got off work on Friday and was back to work Monday morning. More than 1000 miles each way. When asked how he did it he said He drove most of the time 80 - 100 mph and always took the curves on inside lane to save time and distance. Not the first time I had been lied to.

26hotrod likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

You have a Milan drag strip in your state?????:rolleyes:

26hotrod and Tjompen like this.
  23. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

you ssurely got that right

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  24. People full of tatoos and rings, etc. Say they like this style from the 50's... Maybe they should take a closer look at some old photos from that era...;)

25. rmorris

rmorris

26. rmorris

rmorris

QUOTE="Deuces, post: 12530202, member: 96760"]You have a Milan drag strip in your state?????:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Avilla Indiana 1/8 th mile. I also raced at Milan Michigan

26hotrod likes this.
  27. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Whenever you are, drag strip, car show, etc., there's always a schizophrenic who says they have whatever you have that's much better or faster "at home but didn't want to bring it out".
    One funny is we're at a local show, our 55 BelAir, scruffy guy walks up "I got one at home like that that ain't never been dewed on" (I assume he meant never outside!). I said "Sooooo in 60 years it's never been washed?"...he wanders off.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk... Gary from Virginia

Hombre and 26hotrod like this.
  28. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

People that look at my coupe and say they know a guy across town that has one JUST LIKE IT!!!!!!

sevenhills1952 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People look at my Falcon and say that they had a Valiant, Corvair, Rambler, Nova, etc. jut like it.

That, and people are still trying to pass off my builds as their own, or as someone else's.

sevenhills1952 and J_J_ like this.