Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AMC 327 Adapter Plate

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Brehm, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Ron Brehm

Ron Brehm

AMC 327 to Turbo 400 Trans Adapter
    Does anybody know if the AMC 65-67 turbo 400 bell housing pattern is the same as on the jaguar?

2. Nope it would be GM pattern if anything other then AMC specific. AMC stands for American Motor Cars, and they took cues and pieces from other American cars and made them fit their purpose.

I think that the only American Company that ever owned Jaguar was ford and that wasn't until the '90s.

3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I believe the early amc/rambler adapter that came on jeep commandos (if that's what you're talking about) used a nailhead pattern TH400.......don't know what the jag used

Hnstray likes this.
  4. flyin-t

flyin-t

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The simple way to connect an AMC 327 to a Turbo 400 would be to find a Turbo 400 out of a 66 Jeep Wagoneer and use the case or complete trans with a two wheel drive extension housing and tail shaft. The hard part of that would be finding one.
    http://www.automobile-catalog.com/c..._wagon_4wd_327_vigilante_v-8_hydra-matic.html
    That engine was never very popular outside of the AMC/Jeep contingent.
    Check this=
    eBay item number:
    Put that in the Ebay search. You absolutely need to know what turbo 400 bolt pattern bolts up to it though. 200 bucks and the ride might fix you up. Or a few hours of contacting Jeep specialty wrecking yards.
    You are going to need the matching flex plate for that engine and trans too. I'd ask the seller of the adapter if he also had the flexplate.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    flyin-t likes this.
  6. The Rambler 327 was an entirely different motor than the GM counterpart, the Chevy 327 was almost a bolt in though. I got an idea that when Nash/Rambler was becoming Nash/Rambler/Willys ( :rolleyes: ) or AMC that the car used the original Rambler 327 for a while. The first CJs (after Willys) used GM components in them.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Hnstray and scott27 like this.
  8. flyin-t

flyin-t

I didn't say anything about the chevy 327.
    The only GM product used in the jeep was, for 5 or 6 years, Buick 225 and the iron duke 151 which had a long run. The AMC V8 and I6 were used well into the 1980s.

9. mkubacak

mkubacak

Not true. Full size jeeps could be had with the Buick 350 from 1967 to 1971.

1965 to 1967 full size jeeps equipped with the Gen 1 AMC V8 (the 327) would use the Buick Nailhead bolt pattern TH400. The Nailhead pattern TH400 is then attached to the AMC V8 with a factory adapter. For more information check out the IFSJA.

http://www.ifsja.org/index.html

samurai mike and flyin-t like this.
  10. flyin-t

flyin-t

I thought we were talking about CJ's but that's good info, thanks.

My brother in law had an older full size jeep and it had an ohc six in it, he never got it running though. He got divorced instead.

11. The Jaguar pattern on the TH400 is Jag-only. While the internal parts are the same, the case was cast specifically for Jaguar. Also used a odd-ball torque convertor. There's at least one Jag 'conversion' supplier who offers an adaptor to use the Jag trans behind Chevrolet motors, but they're not popular or recommended.

12. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I thought AMC meant "All Manufactures Contribute"

Engine man and Speed Gems like this.
  13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Commandos which could be had with the 225V6 used the BOP turbo 400.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Ron Brehm

Ron Brehm

Thanks for the feedback.
    Ok, it took me a bit to get my bearings but if you take that adapter ring shown on eBay and look at the nailhead trans in your post it appears it does fit and allows for the starter to be relocated to the passenger side like my Gen 1 327.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what I am seeing. It has a cover for the spot where the starter used to be.

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm glad that 48Chev sent a picture of the tranny. Anyhow, here's my story of my experience. About 40 years ago, I attempted to replace the 327 in a friend's Wagoneer with another one. When I got the engine out, I was astounded to see that there was an adapter in front of a th400 with a weird bellhousing pattern. I never did finish this engine swapover because the 327 the autowreckers supplied was from an earlier Rambler and the engine mounts on the side were not cast the same. As I recall, the adapter was cast iron and about an inch thick. Even back then, Wagoneers with 327s weren't common so I'm sure with the passage of time they are even scarcer. To do this tranny swap, I think the best plan would be to find the correct Wagoneer as a donor because if you come up with a tranny from a Buick, Jaguar, or even Rolls Royce you would still need the correct flexplate, torque converter, and the ever elusive adapter. The fact that the Wagoneer is 4wd should not be a problem if you are using a gear vendors overdrive. The easiest way to get a 327 and overdrive would be to use that "other" 327 bolted to a th200r4. You should try to get a copy of Canadian Hot Rods magazine with the article on Cam Grant's Rambler Cross Country. Gorgeous car. I think it is the current issue.

17. When I first started doing the AMX thing I met a fellow on line that is the ultimate AMC info center as well as used parts guy. When I get to my office I'll get his ph# and post it up. He can tell you what to do and not to do. Personally if I had nothing to start with I'd do the Torque Flight AMC gear box. Light years ahead of the T-400
    The Wizzard

18. Something I learned while messing around with the 390 and 401 motors is that not all crank shafts are the same. This was some 15 years ago so I'm just a little foggy on the specifics. We did both the T-400 as well as the Torque Flight and one way or the other things worked the other not so well. The pilot bushing hole on some combinations of converters require a thin bushing. Without it the converter pilot is not indexed correctly in the Crank and will cause the Flex plate to fail. Once installed they do not come out in re usable condition. I happen to have one New one left should you need it. My bottom line lesson was to always measure the converter stub and the Crank index hole no matter what I was doing.
    Talk to Dan at 503-653-3436 he knows his AMC stuff. I know he works a day job so you'll need to leave him a message. I'd just say your looking for some solid info and he was recomended.
    The Wizzard

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Guys, the 390 and 401s are a different kettle of fish. The 327 is the first generation engine with the distributor in the back.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app