Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My next project, 55 Pontiac wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by casper50, Apr 1, 2018.

1. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

I have finished my 47 Dodge coupe and since the wife likes it when I'm in the garage and not the house she went out last summer and bought this wagon. She wants to keep me busy.

2. pumpman

pumpman

This is going to be very interesting. I'm in.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  3. Look very complete and solid. Do you plan to keep it Pontiac power:D?

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  4. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

She wants to keep it mostly original. Upgrade the brakes to disc and as long as the engine is rebuildable we'll keep the original 287. If not, I'll be looking for a 389 or 400.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    sko_ford and Bowtie Coupe like this.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Is that a magnifier in the passenger glass?

6. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

I believe it is a shade. Similar to sunglasses, it has a yellow tint. But is it yellow from age or made that way?

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Casper, nice find. While watching the video the car kept reminding me of a ‘55 Chevy wagon. Will anyparts for a Chevy wagon interchange with your Pontiac wagon? Bones

8. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

some body parts will. The extra roof that I'm going to put on to fix the tree damage is from a 55 chevy wagon.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, the thing on the glass is used in colder climates, where glass freezes over/fogs over very quickly; it prevents that, and allows a "porthole" so-to-speak, that you can still see out of/through. Since most of the other glass is missing/broken out, so were the other "portholes". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

that was the only one. The wagon was sold new in Anchorage so most likely it needed it.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha ha that thing on the window is familiar to people from the north, who are old enough. Heaters and defrosters have improved since the fifties. In those days you could buy those things from any auto parts store, they were made of a sheet of clear plastic with a foam rubber weather strip around the edge. The weather strip had a peel and stick surface. Stick one on your window and it created a dry insulated air space, or a storm window effect, you would have a clear spot when the rest of the window was covered with frost or fog. Only on the inside of course. You still had to scrape the frost off the outside.

belair and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The body is a version of the Chev's. Notice the tail lights, special station wagon only numbers made to fit the Chev fender opening but look like the rest of the Pontiac line. Doors, glass, many body parts interchange. Engine, trans, suspension, rear axle, brakes all different. Front clip ahead of the windshield different.

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s kinda what I thought, thanks guys. Bones

14. Congrats! Mine was painted in 70s AMC colors...had a Pontiac 301/350 turbo. Great cars. 55wagon2.jpg

15. donno

donno

Interesting, just saw a 55 Wagon on Boulder Highway the other day, all paint was removed but it was being DRIVEN!!

16. If it turns out half as nice as you coupe it will be awesome.

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I notice that door with that glass is actually from a different car but....... neat ole ride.
    Just a extra tid bit to say the canadian pontiacs had a chevy frame and have a shorter pontiac dog house than your US version in case you didnt already know.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The glass, doors, rear hatches, quarter panels, outside rockers are all the same as same year Chevrolet's. Everything from the firewall forward, and the floors are different, as is the power-train. Your's probably has an under-seat heater. IF it was a "Canadian" made Pontiac, then it would have the Chevrolet frame, power-train, etc. Pontiac had a couple different length wheelbases, depending on the model. I had a friend in high school (66-69) who was in a rock band; he had a 55 Pontiac Hearse as their band-wagon. It was silver with a black vinyl roof, and had the 5 slot, kidney hole shaped, Astros that were popular at the time. Your bumpers look to be in pretty good shape, especially compared to the rest of the car. Too bad about all that glass. You said your wife, "she wants to keep me busy"; you've got your work cut out for you. Going to send you a PM. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

sko_ford and low budget like this.
  19. nice start......

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

neat old wagon, good luck

21. scotts52

scotts52

Looking forward to following along. I have a 55 9 passenger. Has vent wings in the qtr glass and a 3rd row seat. I don't know about a standard wagon but my gas tank is particular to the 9 passenger only. Mine was rusted out and it took me a good deal of time to find a replacement.

Those taillights are made of unobtainium. I finally located a pair that didn't cost me mu first born. I have rusted out pans in mine. I was under the impression that they were the same as Chevy. Hadn't thought about the under seat heater making them different. Any idea who makes Pontiac pans?

22. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

So far I have only found C2C fabrication. I've heard mixed reviews on their products for other vehicles. I've got two decent taillight housings and one good and one cracked taillight lense along with two so so back up lenses. I've been looking for the spare tire well cover for a long time with no luck. Took quite a while to find a horn button too.

23. Here's a possible source for parts, if you haven't tried them already. California Pontiac Restoration and Parts in Santa Ana, CA. Their website is www.pontiacparts.net and phones are 714-245-9800 and 1-877-504-8124. Email is [email protected]. At least, they are in your time zone and may have other leads for you if they don't have any of the parts you're looking for. I haven't used them, but had identified them as a possible source when I was building my '63 Catalina. That's a great wagon your wife bought. I'll be following your build for sure.

24. ring gap

ring gap

I tip my hat to you sir:)...that's gonna be a Sweettttttttttttttttttt ride...pretty awesome that it from Alaskan...

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just noticed today there's a couple of 55 2 door wagons in the car classifieds here on the HAMB.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. wvenfield

wvenfield

I've bought quite a few things from them. Knowledgeable and good to work with.

Get a catalog.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

I've been looking for the linoleum that covers the rear of the back seat and the floor of the cargo area for awhile now. Called SMS Upholstery and they will custom make it to your sample for $89 a yard. I didn't believe that I'd ever find it to be honest and have seen most restored wagons with carpet put back in place.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  28. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Sorry I forgot to update this. I've got a few videos to post.

29. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

30. casper50

casper50
    from alaska