Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fastest you've ever been?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewid, Nov 26, 2004.

1. 145 in a friends Dodge Shelb GLHS, man that was a fun car. 179 on a modified Katana 1100. It is amazing that I excaped without a scratch with all of the stupid stuff that I did with cars and on bikes when I was a kid. Now I am the guy that silently yells when I see kids doing the same stuff that I used to do. Maybe older is wiser, or maybe just more of a wuss.

2. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

There's alot of truth to this....Broke the passenger side spindle on my model A last fall while at speed...only about 40mph, but the night before I was doing all of 90mph with the car...and every day I thank my lucky stars that I'm standing here....

As for fast, the fastest I've been was about 150 in a 32 5 window with a 327 topped with a Dyers 6-71 blower and 2 Holley 650 center squirters...

3. brandon

brandon

Note to readers: If you own a 63-65 MoPar, better coat the front with those ceramic space shuttle tiles, because they WILL be fast. (Just watch out for the heater core)

Now how fast have YOU gone???[/QUOTE]

my nephew and i delivered a 62 dodge dart 440 b body wagon to the new owner in grand rapids......the speedo never worked ....the thing had a mild 440 with pushbutton and a hemi convertor.....323 / posi......i always cruised the car around 2000 rpms on the tach ....and that was rolling.....i took it to indy , columbus , and clay city .....but the night we were michigan bound ....i got a little brave ....and started running it up to 2500 ......at that point .....we were passing everything on the road....and i mean everything.....anyway ....we were going around the loop around ft wayne indiana....and this guy in a truck starts playing around.....so i proceed to get it back up to 2500 ....about then ....this tractor trailer starts approuching fast.......and i mean fast......took it up to 3000 ....and at that point i know this thing is over 120 easy .......that rig passed us up like we were sitting still.........thats when i knew i'd better back it off .....just a bit.......anyone up in michigan ever see a charcoal grey metallic 62 wagon ....with rubbed off lettering .....yeah this thing was a old stocker.....like the behemoth and white lightning......tons of fun .........brandon

4. My wife.......had a 1275cc GT Mini, Ok I had played with it and it was fast and it handled too (like a go kart, the suspension just didn't move) It also sounded like someone had pulled the plug out the bath, it gurgled at you. between 80 and 120 it would out run most cars marked GTI....

Wife comes home....
    "just passed a bastard in a sierra, he cut me up at a traffic island so I just sat on his bumper till he pulled over and I took him...."
    "so just how fast were you going?"
    "God I don't know! but the other dial was all the way in to the red bit!! the dick head driver just looked at me like I was an ailen as I went past"
    By my calculation 130+ in a classic mini.....a box, 10 feet by 4 feet at 130mph at least.....god I loved that car ..
    I hit a van in it at 35mph..... the passenger wheel was on the seat, the drivers door was 2inches bigger than the aperture, and even though the screen didn't break it was touching the front edge of the bonnet (hood) on the passenger side. I walked out with a scratch on my right foot where ot slipped off the break.......someone is looking after me!

5. gofstbuick

gofstbuick
    from sacramento

Sacramento to San Francisco in 45 minutes (average 135 mph) on a Honda 900 MC

6. Longbridge (B'ham MG Rover factory) to home (by peugeot factory at Ryton) in 26 mins.....through Birmingham.(A38 Bristol road!! then A45 all the way)......I had to walk round the garden for at least 30 mins before I had come down off the dopeamine rush to go in the house (going "got to get a bigger bike!!")..Av of 80mph topping 130mph.....on a 125cc (yamaha TZR full on, derestricted, 15000 rpm, bee in a bean can sounding 125cc bike) incl stoppies, wheelies, and just plain stupid riding........Never going there again, got a hard tail ,, did test ride a Aprillia 250, just sculpture on wheels but that was just too mad even for me......"15000rpm click ,15000rpm click, 15000rpm, look at speedo....OOOOhhhhhh fuuuuuuucccckkkkk!!!!!! either road pizza or loose licence no other choice! ....back to the dealer at 30mph
    "see ya mate"

7. Tony

Tony

I had a mildly warmed over 911sc porsche a while ago. I used to take it out in the country early sunday morning's and just have fun on the empty roads.
    I remember one time starting off in first (5 speed) on a straight, long road and red lining the motor through 4 gear's, when i shifted into 5th i looked over at the speedo (the tach was dead center and the speedo was off to the right) and it was just over 130....and i had ALL of 5th gear to go.

I kept it in 4th, let out the clutch and started braking. I started to think that even if a small animal was to come out of the brush and i hit it going that fast, in such a small car i'm in for a pretty shitty ride..

By far not the quickest car i've been in, but after that ride, i'd have to say it was probably the fastest..that thing really hauled ass once it started to breath.

Tony

8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

At the bottom of the hill on the interstate leading into Las Vegas from LA I was clocked at 142 in my '65 Olds 442 (note NEARLY stock). There was no speed limit, but the cop wanted to check my equipment.

I had Firestone racing tires and US mag wheels, the two things they WERE writing tickets for, since folks were "Exceeding the speed of thier equipment".

Cop told me to have a nice day and obey the POSTED speed limits.

My old man was in the passanger seat and was asleep till we got stopped.

His only comment was "That's pretty fast, son."

9. 140 in SD on the way to Stugis, on a 91 Moto Guzzi California/ with tent,sleeping bag and luggage, raced a bud's BMW....Smoked him. Oh yea the windshield was bent in half...New shorts please...........

10. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Wow, the first liers never had a chance!!:D

Using speedometers for measuring speed is a sure fire way to be way off.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard tales of incredibly fast Harleys. NEW baggers won't reach 90 when tested by magazines. They have a lot more power than old ones. I know they can be modified a lot, but look at some old time records. They aren't as fast as some folks claim to be doing now. Many old speedos are notoriously optimistic. My old '56 Ford Victoria, lightly modified 312, would bury the speedo. I bet it wasn't doing much over 100.

As for me, I no longer exceed the speed limit. It's against the law. Shame on all of you!:rolleyes:

11. Polara

Polara
    from Indy

115ish in my exgirlfriend's Pymouth Laser turbo, I had just replaced the timing belt and 8 valves and took it for a spin. I decided I should slow down since it was 1am, foggy and I wasn't familiar with the country road I was on. I'm sure it had a lot left in it. That was a fun car.

12. OK I posted a couple of things.... but in the memory banks ....I had to take my dad to pick up his car (Fiat X19) in my car (alfa romeo spider duetto) my car was £1200 his car was alot more (and did go round corners a lot better though and this was the early 80s) anyway.....
    on the way back (from reddich) he over took me (well tried to) red rag to a bull ..........when he reached 110mph I just kept on going to 135mph (indicated) Dad was real pissed as I had got him and he told me
    "just don't tell your mum!" mum had a good idea (she may have been senile but she weren't stupid) he got a 205 cabro after that and that was fast too .......but the best was a suzuki capochino.......660cc turbo and intrcooled, don't fuck with them as they will smoke your ass . I had 120 in 3rd and 140 close behind.....

13. Todd553

Todd553

Top speed 212.951. Bonneville, October 2004.

Attached Files:

14. Big Pete

Big Pete

My buddy "Hunter" from 29 Palms build a car around '81, the game was he would tape a 20 to the dash and when he said go from a stop, if you could snatch the 20 it was yours. The acceleration pinned me to the seat and at 160 or so I said enough. On the way back to the beer I popped in a tape called Apostraphie and he called it even....

15. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

168 in my friends SHO taurus. Me i have drove 125 in my 1995 camaro I sold that one should have fed some more speed to that one. i hope to hit 200mph before i die.

16. Yep... what else would explain guys doing 150mph in a '63 Rambler...

Sam.

17. borntoolate

borntoolate

Somewhere between 90 and 100, in my 66 390/4speed/2.80 g. Fairlane, my hood corners gently bow up about a 1/2" (a little unnerving for a couple of passengers i've had). I've had the car up around 130. Pretty stupid on old tech. suspension, but what a rush. I have to be satisfied with short-distance acceleration now with three kids to father. It was always interesting how the tires got really smooth and the wind noise seemed to subside the faster you go. probly all psycological.

18. Scott

Scott

1970 Pontiac Grand Prix model J hit 146 on 160 speedo Heading up to Epping NH to watch the Drags I had to shut down my front end was shaking so bad.

19. PWH42

PWH42

38 second laps on the dirt mile at Sedalia in a late model stock car is about 145 0n the straights.
    Clocked by Illinois state trooper's radar in 1963 at 139 in 57 T-Bird with 2-4's and overdrive.
    My 86 Mustang GT ran 70 at 2000 on the tach and I've seen 4300.Only 3900 with the top down.
    Paul

20. crash 51

crash 51
    from FTW,TEXAS

1/4 mile? 14.10 @ 99.6 mph in my LOCO GREENGO 1951 ford sled on firestone bias-ply.topspeed? guessing ad 30- 40 mph. 2001 GSXR1000 dynoed at 151 rwhp, 182 on the digital speedo, i dont beleave it was accurate but damn it was fast.

21. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I wasn't driving, but two weeks ago I went for a ride in an original Shelby AC Cobra. We hit 137mph on the back stretch at Road Atlanta, several times.
    Earlier in the week, I drove one of the Panoz GTR-A race cars somewhere in the neighborhood of 125mph an the track.
    The Panoz was fun, the Cobra was a one-in-a-lifetime experience. No roll bar, no shoulder belts, open side pipes about 18 inches from my right ear...I think I had an orgasm.
    -Brad

22. racer5c

racer5c

Hell if I know

23. farmer_joe620

farmer_joe620

155mph in a 1978 chevy luv witha 355. this truck had no core support, almost no firewall or floor. the motor was also only bolted down with 3 bolts and a chain from the frame to the head.

it was like 230 in the morning last august, and me an my buddy were commin back from the cruise in the next town over. with the 28in tall tires, 308 gears, a th350 and the motor at a screamin 5600 rpms we were movin right along. that was also the last the truck ran too. because we were goin so fast the radiator was pushed back into the pulleys from the wind and we lost all coolant and the motor over heated REAL bad. warped the heads, cracked the block. it was a total loss.

24. racer5c

racer5c

lets try this again

Attached Files:

25. racer5c

racer5c

How fast have you guys gone sideways?

Attached Files:

26. PWH42

PWH42

[quo

te=racer5c]How fast have you guys gone sideways?[/quote]
    Racer5c,like you I have no idea how fast I've gone sideways,but that picture sure brings it back how much fun the sideways was 40 years ago.
    Paul

TANSTAFL

27. I'll give you a ride on my bagger. Two up an I'll put it over 120. It's not a Harley , it's one of those fine German machines.

Attached Files:

28. 2 wheels or 4 ? 1/2 mile or mile? I was a flat tracker for a while:D

29. noyo55

noyo55

1970 I was on my way to Canada. I stopped off in Corvallis Ore. to visit an old college buddy. He and a partner had a detailing business to help pay school expenses that they used a defunct gas station for. In the grease room was his partners 69 Petty Blue Plymouth Superbird w full on Nascar Hemi. He offered to trake it out so off we went. We went onto the I5 on ramp at 60 and came onto the freeway at 155 where upon he backed it down. I think it had more but that was was enough for me. I could have bough the car a year later for $8000. One of many lost opportunities over the years!

30. 427ci

427ci

70 Goat,140 speedo bouncing,reached vanishing point,scared the hell out of kid riding with me,lost 383 Charger trying to catch up,had to remove part of seat out of my ass!Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!