Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods One for the HAMB detectives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doodlrodz, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Yes, great stance on that one thanks Bob

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I know nothing about it, other than it looks super cool!
    that stance and super short bed are just perfect in my book.

brad2v likes this.
  3. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Anybody know a guy named Gunnal in Beckley W. Va. May be the original builder.

4. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

The resurrection begins. Started removing some of the interior to see what changes had to be made to make it a driver, well besides being color blind in '57 they also weren't too concerned about structural stability. As the sign says "The Kids" must have built this one haha. '31 reconstuction 001.JPG '31 reconstuction 004.JPG '31 reconstuction 013.JPG

catdad49 likes this.
  5. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

That bar at the end of the drill bit under the floor was the only body mount, the floor was literally holding everything up and not very well at that there are big cracks in the top towards the back where the body has started to fall into two pieces. Those 5 5/16" bolts through the floor are the only things holding the cab on. Looks like this may be a little more involved than I thought.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

So it isn't going to be a 1950's shrine after all? :rolleyes:

Bob

7. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Haha, I'm not sure it would even be safe to trailer around to shows, the back of the cab may blow off at speed.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  8. OH man don't fuck it up! :D

tb33anda3rd and stanlow69 like this.
  9. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Too late it was built fucked up haha. I've ordered all the cross channel and cross members to fix the floor and I've raised the cab to see how it would look channeled only the depth of the frame so you could actually drive it. Here's before and after pics. coming.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    cactus1 likes this.
  10. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

11. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

You can see by the 2x6 under the cowl it had to be raised 5 1/2" to get to the bottom of the frame and bring it up to where the radiator wasn't way above the height of the cowl.

cactus1 likes this.
  12. Can you roll it outside or nah?

13. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Not yet, it's still winter here haha. steering wheel 005.JPG

Hotdoggin DaddyO, enloe and Jet96 like this.
  14. Sonofabitch!

15. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

That was a couple weeks ago it's mostly gone now but 30 degrees and snowing today. Gonna be at least another week before I can work outside.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like that, get to see the flow of the belt line. Bob

[​IMG]

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

I see I could have saved some money by just cutting down an old bar chair.

18. I gotta ask, have you had it running yet?

19. shortypu

shortypu

That is a pretty cool truck.Mine is the orange one posted on first page.Built in the late 60s,channeled 7'',33 cab, 33 frame.My floor wasn't much better than yours,it still had wood in it.The beds are close to the same.They raised the bed to set on the 33 frame and then built a filler piece.I haven't changed much on it except exhaust,wheels,and some of the interior.I luv the looks of yours with the white and blue.It would look great with all white interior imo. IMG_1901.JPG IMG_4185.JPG

kidcampbell71 and Gotgas like this.
  20. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I think "the kids" must have dropped out of school and taken their chairs with them. '31 reconstuction 005.JPG '31 reconstuction 006.JPG
    I'm keeping all the original stuff that I'm taking off just in case the next guy wants to go back to the way it was.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

22. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Bob, Did they have them in'57 ?

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

24. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

paint 005.JPG Any OLD paint guys on here? I took my grille shell to a paint place today to see if they could match the color for me and they couldn't get a really good scan because there isn't a really flat spot on the grille so we looked at '57 colors thinking maybe they used one when they built this, the computer came up with a tropical turquoise that looked good on the screen but came out way off. The guy in the store said try to find an old paint guy they'd probably recognize the color. So here's some pics. if anyone can help. There is quite a bit of green in it and '57 Ford did have a Caribbean Turquoise that looks close on the online pictures. paint 008.JPG paint 006.JPG paint 001.JPG
    The first picture shows the difference between the inside of the doors and the dash.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and catdad49 like this.
  25. To: wbrw32 - in answer to you saying you had a Deuce shell on your ride in '53, I do not doubt that you did - but 1953 Texas was moving way faster than 1953 West Virginia :) so sumpin' like that was a Big deal.....here in the sticks

kidcampbell71 and pat59 like this.
  26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree with your opinions on the truck. Just wunnerin' what kind of weather you have in upstate N.Y. You could successfully piss off every traditional type on this HAMB (except me) if an a/c suddenly appeared under the hood. Down here in South Texas, any ride without a/c is seldomly driven or trailered for distant runs. My Deuce roadster has a/c, heated seats, and Vintage Air heat. My club members call me a wuss spelled with a p, but they don't have the fun I do cruising all over the U.S. Their loss. I like your little truck. Do it up your way. It already has the East Coast stance. Good luck, Bud.
    Oh, yes. The slight channel does wonders to the overall looks rather than the radical channel. Your "adjustment" fixed at least two things that needed fixing. Looking good.

27. Hey Doodle,
    You just gotta think of it as it's about '59 or '60
    and you are the next guy to buy the car.
    Do you really think that guy would leave the channel
    if he couldn't fit in it! You didn't like the high radiator.
    Maybe that guy would agree. Personally I never liked a radiator
    higher than the body either.
    Plus, the whole idea of Hot Rodding
    back in the day was to be cool! Hot rods as I remember them
    were constantly changing. You wanted to attract more
    attention than the other guy. Same is true now. Your car your style.
    Be the guy in 1959 and take it from there. Make it cool for you.
    Most of us will love it!
    You won't go wrong!

Just my $.02!
    Best regards,
    Tony

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good points Tony, what was a popular shade of gloss black back then? Bob

29. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys, yeah cool is one thing but what good is it if you can't drive it? I guess that's why it sat in a museum for many years. I have almost all of my parts now to tackle the floor all I need is for the weather to improve so I can roll it outside. Still struggling with the dash color, I've painted it and stripped it 4 times now and don't like anything yet. I'm thinking maybe paint the lower portion a bare metal look like it was originally and leave the dash rail as it was. When I got it the old stewart warner gauges were gone and the lower portion of the dash was plastic. I bought a '32 style dash that was supposed to be a bolt in but turned out to be a project in it's own, I thought the old girl deserved some nice gauges and found these '32 Plymouth gauges I love 'em but they're almost too nice. I don't think it came out too bad for doing everything with a 4 1/2 inch grinder haha. '31 reconstuction 016.JPG '31 reconstuction 018.JPG '31 reconstuction 027.JPG '31 reconstuction 030.JPG '31 reconstuction 032.JPG

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  30. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

This was as it was when I got it. '31 reconstuction 010.JPG

Hotdoggin DaddyO and AndersF like this.