Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Falcons... Street/Strip cars..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Mar 21, 2018.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

It ran a best of 13.36, but it had a 5.43 gear in it that was from a Boss 302 setup, and that was waaay too much for my six so I just lifted at the thousand foot mark (about 6500 RPM as I recollect) and motored through at part throttle.

The car belonged to Danny Girolomo (R.I.P. Danny) in Dearborn and went to the Beausolais(sp?) family in Ontario Canada.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Very cool and very respectable for the times and that 6

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  3. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Be sure to keep us updated on your build Casey, that’s going to be a bad ass little car. Looks like the work that has been done so far is top shelf. I personally prefer the roof on your car over the later hardtop that looks like the roof off a ‘64-‘65 Falcon. I’ve always preferred ‘64-‘65 square body Falcons but these little round bodies have certainly caught my eye! Funny that such a sedate little economy car can look so downright wicked.

loudbang, caseyajones and Thor1 like this.
  4. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

21366869_332788657171539_1310015355920899177_o.jpg
    Mine at last years Meltdown.

31hotrodguy, rusty1, Gammz and 9 others like this.
  5. caseyajones

caseyajones

6. dwollam

dwollam

My 1st car at 15 years old was a '61 Falcon with factory bucket seats and console with a 144 or 170 and 3 speed on the column that was so worn out it quit on my uncle and he said if I could get that piece of crap home I could have it! I did get it home, then stored at a friends farm for a little while until Dad asked if I wanted a '58 Ford or did I want to make a hot rod out of my Falcon? Hot Rod I said! We shoehorned a '57 T'Bird 312 into the Falcon after lots of spring tower trimming and plating, 9" rear w/4:11 gears and originally an automatic. Later switched to 3 speed w/O.D. and a 4:27 Dana after breaking the spiders in the 9". Beat up old car that was never beat off the line and hardly ever lost a race. Eventually the front suspension wallered out from under it and I put the 312 in a '56 Vicky, then put a straight axle under the Falcon and was preparing to put a 394 Olds and 4 speed Hydro in it but project stalled, then got sold. Next fella put a 426 Hemi in it! I wish I still had pictures. All I have left is an under dash instument cluster.

Nice to see all these Falcon pics. Keep 'em comin'!

Dave

Gammz, loudbang, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  7. Dan Phillips

Dan Phillips

very kool ( the 1960 wins my vote) , but they are all nice...thanks for sharing....

loudbang likes this.
  8. caseyajones

caseyajones

9. Deuces

Deuces

Thought I'd post some more pictures of the " wheat missile"..... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437409300.985754.jpg 609376-855-0.jpg HAMBDrags2014Leader.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420740682.416435.jpg
    I believe these were taken at the H.A.M.B. Drags.....

10. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Wheat Missile looks like she can be a handful when she wants to!

11. boutlaw

boutlaw

Here's my FE powered 65 Falcon "Ranchero" I started running this spring. Have always loved Falcons. I really like that Wheat Missile car. Ranchero GBO7avatar.jpg

12. Deuces

Deuces

Very cool!!!! :)
    Ranchero gasser style cars are welcome also....
    Please post away!!!!!
    Thank you!!! :)

mad mikey, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  13. caseyajones

caseyajones

14. caseyajones

caseyajones

15. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Is a straight axel front end a requirement to be a gasser? I somewhat remember reading that the very early gas classes not all cars had a straight axle. I could be wrong tho. As I am most of the time!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

Some have a dropped axle from an Econoline.... Not sure on that one....:confused:

loudbang likes this.
  17. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Saw the Ranchero in post 78. I have a 1964 but it don’t have a straight axle. Set up as a drag car tho from the 60s era.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  18. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

My Dad always told me in the early days of the Gas classes rules required stock style suspension, so Falcons and tri-Five Chevys would still have to run an A-arm front end. The straight axle swaps came along later in the gasser game when rules changed so I guess technically both straight axle cars and A-arm cars are “correct” it just depends on what era you are shooting for.

loudbang, Gammz and caseyajones like this.
  19. True! Not all gassers were axle cars.As the class evolved more were running axles and a higher front stance. Because slicks at this time did not provide very good traction weight transfer was key to launching off the the line . As tire development improved the front ends came down lower.

20. Clik

Clik

For some of you guys that are down on what you call "street freaks" and say "they don't belong here", I'll just say this: Not all of us were lucky enough where we could cut out wheel wells. Some of us lived in States where the law read "NO ALTERED FENDER WELLS" or "NO ALTERED FENDERS". To get a wide tire under a car with a fender profile like a Falcon the car had to be jacked pretty high. And then came bumper height laws. So for some of us a car sitting up real high was certainly traditional.

21. caseyajones

caseyajones

22. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Interesting, that I did not know but it would make sense. What states would have had that law?

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. caseyajones

caseyajones

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

25. Clik

Clik

Maryland was one. Pennsylvania had a rep for no altered anything including wheels (I heard Keystones were given a pass in the Keystone State). Not being from PA I can't verify that. Remember that back in the day our cars were still too new to qualify for Historic or Antique tags even in States that offered them.

loudbang likes this.
  26. caseyajones

caseyajones

27. loudbang likes this.
  28. My ex-neighbor, Jim Wilm, built this Falcon and brought it to the Cleveland Piston Power show a couple of years ago:
    Piston-Powered-Autorama146.jpg

29. earlymopar

earlymopar

Neat thread. I always enjoyed these cars and wanted to do something with my Falcon Ranchero in the ate 60s.

- EM

loudbang likes this.