Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Straight eight buick exhaust and carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nh-lead-man, Nov 14, 2015.

1. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

Need a little insite on Buick straight eight .I have an early dual carb and exhaust set up .Heavy cast iron One ,what carbs can be used? some say 94s 97s this will be going on my 50 fast back going to put duals on it. Would you start from the manifold with stock header pipes and take off from there?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would buy a couple of those carb adapters that go from three bolt to 4 bolt and use small Rochester 2G/2GC rather than the Ford carbs. They are antiques and primitive, IMO, unless you opt for updated versions now available.

Ray

302GMC likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^^
    Plus you can shorten the front engine mount to clear the front headpipe. 26" Porter steelpacks is what you want, using 2'' tailpipes under the bumper.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

Well thanks for the replies. If i use 2gc carbs do they both use automatic chokes? any idea who sells adapter spacers for a st 8 manifold I think its 46 Like to find to head pipes as well

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Buick carb conversion 001.JPG Buick carb conversion 002.JPG Buick carb conversion 006.JPG I used one of the adapters that I mentioned with above on my '38 Buick. I don't recall exactly where I bought the adapter, as I had it on hand for some time, but Speedway, Jegs, Summit would be possibilities. I happened to have a remanufactured 2GC from a Buick 300 V8 on the shelf and I used it. I converted it to a manual choke for simplicity, even though the old Stromberg had a (complicated) auto choke. That way, I used the existing throttle control cable as a choke cable.

Given the way Buick Straight intake manifolds are chambered, one barrel feeding one branch (4 cylinders), and the other barrel feeding the rest, I made a sheet metal divider in the throat of the undivided adapter to maintain the original configuration with the new carb. That may not have been necessary, , but I didn't think it would hurt either.

I also have a set of the dual carb/exhaust manifolds and will be doing what you are proposing in the foreseeable future. If I don't get crazy and try to rig up EFI, I will be following my own advice. I have a second matching 2GC on hand. I speculate that the second carb could be 'chokeless'...(de-choked ?), making it a 2G.

Ray

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

By the way, 302GMC is correct about shortening the left engine mount pedestal. As is, it will interfere with the forward exhaust manifold of the dual system. That should not be a big deal. The original headpipe used with the dual exhaust had a 'Y' pipe, joining the two manifold outlets into a single pipe to the muffler. I believe there is room at the manifold outlets to keep them separate, but may take some creative pipe bending to run dual head pipes. It is a little tight at the rear of the engine/steering box/frame. That was the case on my '41 Sedanet and likely will be on my '38. I will be replacing the original 248 with a '53 263.

Ray

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not much of a Buick expert, but it seems like the '41-2 compound stuff fits as is thru '48 50 & 70 cars, and all series '49 up mounts have to be modified in some way. A '50 Special Sedanette I had years ago simply had the steel engine support turned upside down, & the frame support shortened. The factory rubber mount is used as is.
    Exhaust clearance is even worse on under seat heater equipped cars, & Buick didn't build many without them. You'll need the best pipe guy in town.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The '41/'42 dual manifold setups come in two sizes. The shorter of which fits the 248 cube engine, used in Series 40 and 50, and the longer set which fits the 320 cube engines used in Series 60 and up. The 248 stuff also bolts on the later 263 engines.

Ray

9. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Stock '41 dual carb manifolds used only one carb with automatic choke Rear carb I believe.

10. Do the EFI. You will like it.

Ben

11. Hey guys! I just purchased a 41-42 Buick dual carb intake and carbs, but the exhaust manifolds are missing. Does anyone have any that may be for sale? Or even another complete set up? I will build a header if I have to, but it would be nice to have the real stuff. It’ll be going on my 1950 Super. IMG_3306.JPG IMG_3307.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just bought one of those 3-bolt to 4-bolt adapters from Speedway. $25.00 plus a $6.00 ride. It seems to be a nice piece. All seven holes are threaded 5/16-20, so the holes on the side that goes against the manifold will have to be drilled out and studs used on the carburetor side. There was a review on the site that said if you are using the 3-bolt side against the manifold, the single hole in the back is real tight and required a special nut.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    1950 Super Riviera likes this.
  13. tiiM5

tiiM5

Very nice set up. I would like to find the same for my 49' Super. Any leads would be appreciated.
    Please keep posting on your progress.

1950 Super Riviera likes this.
  14. Thanks! And I will keep an eye out for you! I have a feeling I’m going to be building a header to go along with my intake. Someone with JUST the exhaust manifolds without an intake will probably be hard to find! Seem the intakes are out there, but not the exhaust. But I will keep my hopes up!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. 1950 Super Riviera likes this.