Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Iowa Engine Rebuilders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59IMPALER, Mar 30, 2018.

1. I need the 364 in my '60 LeSabre rebuilt. I'm in Des Moines. Baker Machine, a local legend, has just went out of business due to the death of the owner. They did the 283 in my '53. Who's left that's any good? I would drive an hour to hook up with the the right shop. DSC04262.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Check with Haines Automotive in Oskaloosa. One of the brothers that ran the shop has retired but they were both great to work with. Used to have them do a lot of work on our race (and my street) engines. Getting ready to take my stuff up to them.
    SPark

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

Rosy's Raceland, Ltd. Rock Rapids, Ia. 712-472-2290

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I thought I heard that Arnold wont do a full rebuild anymore because of liability. They will do the machine work but not the assembly. Which seems crazy. But I might be wrong on this...youd need to call to find out.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Their web site suggests otherwise:

"In addition we have a full service machine shop at our Midwest Cylinder Head & Machine facility in Nevada, IA. From grinding a crank, to surfacing heads or a complete motor rebuild, Arnold Motor Supply is your direct connection to Machine Shop satisfaction!"

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Thats good. Maybe it was just the Arnolds in Marshalltown that possibly wont do a full assembly.

8. Bugguts

Bugguts

The Arnold’s in Ames did my last machining and assembly. The machinist is a good guy and seems to know his stuff. They have been doing my engine machining for years. Give them a call.

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member