Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Packard, and Chaz the cat in foreground.

2. @MalloMike picked up our stuff from the sand blasters. no warpage on my [backup/alternate] hood. next step is bodywork. Mikey's fenders look good. DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG

cactus1, Król, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Quality looks the same, but the price seams to have gone up IMO. Bob

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. Bob, this whole pile of stuff, Mike's four fenders, front and back splash aprons, my hood and a wheel for Eugene were under a G. they did what i think is an amazing job on the hood. it was/is heavily pitted and they did not warp it.

nunattax, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. What type of media was used to do the blasting?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. Hi Wayne, they use a couple steps depending on the amount of rust. sometimes they will start with a coarse grit, then finish with plastic. American Dry Stripping has a couple large booths and a couple dozen different cabinets with assorted media. they pick up and delivery when needed and also have a powder coating business. really a professional set up.

7. Thanks, Ted. Items look real good. Wish we had some professional shop like that around here. There is a shop that does powdercoating that is very close to me, but won't do any automotive jobs as he sez the car guys are too damn picky! So much for that one. A buddy and I do our own powdercoating on small items, but we're not equipped to do larger items. I've done some glass beading on aluminum items that has turned out well, but I'm not sure each time what media to use on other jobs. I don't want to create more work for myself or totally ruin something.

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  8. Can't beat American Dry Stripping. They have been around a long time and know what they are doing.:cool:

9. Król

Król

Used American Dry Stripping for my 56 Belair and now for my 36 Chevy pickup project. They do an excellent job of stripping sheet metal parts. Was there just last week to pick up hood, lower grille apron, and headlight buckets. Fenders and running boards will be next.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Got to get this to American Dry Stripping, can't make much progress without it in primer. Bob

11. WOW! I got a woody:rolleyes: Or is that a normal Chevy without the wood?:p

12. Lets see this 36 Chevy pickup project:cool:.

13. Can we get them to open a branch office in Central MD?:rolleyes::)

loudbang, tb33anda3rd and ct1932ford like this.
  14. Mark, a Chevy ain't normal without wood! :eek::D

loudbang, tb33anda3rd and ct1932ford like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

No, It's a 1931 Model A Slant Window Fordor, without red wheels.:cool: Bob

16. started prepping the hood top for paint. one side of the hood top was pretty pitted, and had a crack at one end. i removed the hood hinges, then banged out a few dents. the hinge had a crack and also had a slight bow. DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0007.JPG DSCF0009.JPG

Attached Files:

17. i welded the hinge and used the shrinker to get it straight. when i took the hinges off, i noticed a few cracks in the hood side at the rivets . i welded these and hood crack up. then blasted the spots of rust that was between the hinges and the hood. ready for a skim coat to fill the pits and some primer.... DSCF0008.JPG DSCF0010.JPG DSCF0011.JPG DSCF0012.JPG DSCF0013.JPG DSCF0014.JPG DSCF0015.JPG

18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nice work ted .different vehicles same problems same cure.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  19. i worked the dings out pretty well and primer would have probably filled them and the rust pits, but i would rather just fill them with plastic filler and get it done. filler cheaper than primer. the one hood top was pretty smooth but had the dings. the other side had no dings but was probably the most pitted hood i have ever fixed. i skimmed it with filler and will run the da over it. DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG

20. while the filler was drying i took a look at the hood sides. the left side has a bunch of cracks and the center support was twisted. i straightened the brace. to get the bottom of it straight i will take the rivets out of the latch assembly to get it out of the way. i ran the file over the panel to highlight the dents. DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG DSCF0011.JPG DSCF0012.JPG DSCF0013.JPG

21. as bad as that side is, the other side is missing the hinge.:eek:
    DSCF0014.JPG

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  22. had enough energy to sand the one hood top. ready for primer! DSCF0015.JPG

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guess the epoxy primer/plastic vs plastic/epoxy primer discussion will start now. :rolleyes: Red primer is the best first coat primer. Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the hood side centre brace looks a bit lightweight.could you beef that area up by mounting another back to back..chevy used a more substantial brace on the 38 pu.locking linkage looks very similar
    [​IMG]

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

my inner wings had similar cracking around the louvres.I drilled a small hole at the end of the crack before getting them welded back up.this made it much easier to close the crack before welding.

27. hah, i will use a black epoxy, over the filler, then a gray filler primer......this way if it ever gets scratched it will match the interior.:D

i never thought about drilling and if i have a problem lining them up i will do that, thanks.

28. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. thanks!
    i ate a box of purple peeps, sanded this in about 15 minutes.:D DSCF0008.JPG DSCF0009.JPG