Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chain driven blower on a flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 30, 2018.

1. My bride set this to me after seeing it on fartbook,maybe I have been living under a rock but I don't ever remember seeing a setup like this.

HRP

12316234_10207572585144994_713451611417463026_n.jpg

2. Looks cool. I can only imagine it would be noisy

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. R Pope

R Pope

I helped a guy make a setup like that on an Olds in a '35 Ford. The chain broke on Kingsway in Vancouver and the tag end threw the front fender right up into the bus power wires! I wouldn't recommend it without a strong shield or a full chain case.

J.Ukrop, metlmunchr, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Chain oil will go everywhere.

Fordor Ron, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

It was done years and years ago but fortunately it was short lived. There's been pictures on here before showing chain setups on vintage stuff. I sure wouldn't want to be around it.

6. Mad max called, he wants his flathead back !!

Looks bad ass... would need some guards of some kind if the chain snapped , look out major damage to car and body !!

7. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Here's some other examples: upload_2018-3-30_14-32-22.png
    upload_2018-3-30_14-32-48.png upload_2018-3-30_14-32-22.png upload_2018-3-30_14-32-48.png

8. Danger Will Robinson:eek:.

9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As J. A. points out the chain drive was done years ago before the reinforced timing belts came along. It was easy for a builder to go to his power transmission shop to pick up a length of double or even 4 link chain and sprockets. Back in the '40s, and 50's who even heard of timing belts.

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I guess for the drag strip is a "Get away with it",but for the street,it would be a big no,for me,lub would be too hard to keep an a chain braking would kill some one vs a belt may not. I'm going to pass on that drive set-up.

11. It's been a long time since I've seen chain drive blowers. I'm not sure Italmeccania (?) or s.co.t blowers didn't use them early on. Either way I'd start to get nervous at anything over idle..

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

With out a cover - dangerous as hell.
    With a cover ...... still dangerous.

I don’t like flying parts exiting from/ off engines.

13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Look at that beast-truck rear end too.

MMM1693, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Single row 40 or 420 chain- that Looks like a tractor supply $50.00 blower drive from the rockabilly rat rod express.

The Howard's chain drive stuff was substantial and fully enclosed - yet still phased out for better and safer options.
    image.jpeg

15. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I don't want to be near that car when the chain lets go.

snopeks garage and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Think about this for a moment. They have been using chain drive on motor cycles for over 100 years and you don't hear horror stories about breakage and damage resulting from breakage. Maybe because the motorcyclist died and couldn't talk about it, I don't know.

17. How many timing chains have ya seen break? Trucks used to have chain drive axles. Now that's scary. :)

clem, Fordor Ron and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. go ahead and put the master link in backwards and see what happens.

seb fontana and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Been riding bikes since 1973. I've had a few chains break or come off.
    It ain't pretty.

TagMan and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. frank spittle

frank spittle

That Howard's drive setup was a lot of aluminum and shop work for $275.00, even 50 years ago.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

imagine spinning it on a fairly hot sbc , crank speed could really buzz it. a friend of mine has the hollish bros bantam, with the chain blower still on it from 59, scares me when i see it. but it worked, the won the 59 nations at detriot, do a search, its on here.

J.Ukrop, mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. XXL__

XXL__

The car version of this.

fb20cd5a7418529bce89387c3884c1da.jpg

23. XXL__

XXL__

24. ^^^^^^Now that would of made the boys shit bricks if that happened in mid flight!!

MMM1693, Stogy, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. crossthread

crossthread

Years ago I help build a twin engine [side by side] pulling tractor I machined two 60 double link sprockets and nickel chain with shield . If it had a misfire it broke the crank off only one engine at flange. Chain was unhurt and never went far ,most times still on other crank flange .More stuff runs a chain or link than most people even think about . Never heard noise of chain over engine song. Also never said it was safe, but racing is racing no matter what or where. Happy Easter JimB.

clem, HOTRODPRIMER and Montana1 like this.
  27. One time I helped Marion Owens in the pits at Union Grove back in the day on his double engine fuel Harley. They were chained together and made one heck of a racket. The bike ran 8.20's and stuck the front motor and crap went every where! :eek:

After that incident, he he just left the front chain off and ran on the rear motor only for a little show. I think it still ran high 8's. :cool:

He did lube the chain every pass and changed the chain quite often and it was an oily mess. :rolleyes:

But anyway, I wouldn't think of running an open chain drive blower on anything!
    My 2 bucks worth... ;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Rich S.

Rich S.

IMG_1542.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. ^^^ That looks like MadMax movie stuff, save it for the waste land. you will be the first to break down, be murdered and have your fuel stolen.:eek::rolleyes:

30. Terrible80

Terrible80

O- ring chain doesn't need a lot of lube. Regular inspection and maintenance helps , never had a bike chain break w/o warning. I've seen what a mechanical fan blade does when they let go, still not afraid to run one.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app