Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Show Us Your Fabricated Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Just read a thread about a guy who orderd a set of wheels and when he asked about them was told he would get them in Septenber.:eek: My firts thought was what using an old set of wheels? So in the age of being able to order vertually any part you could possibly want just by calling 1 800 PARTS I thought what about a thread about guys (and gals) building Hot Rods the old fashioned way by using their skills to turn what ever they've got into what they need for a thier next project.

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I've collected a few fabbed parts over the past few years but not a ton. I have managed to collect two sets of split wishbone mounts

One set came off of this car which had a lot of fabbed elements. The brackets were angle iron with a chunk of half inch bar welded inside them and drilled with a 7° taper.

[​IMG]

It also had a 4 bar and quarter elliptic rear end suspension made out of a split T front spring and more bar & angle stock.

[​IMG]
    It was cut like this when I got it but you can see where it attached on top of the housing on the Dana-23 and next to the spring brackets, which are made of flat bar, pipe, and bolts welded up.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/drug-home-east-coast-t-modified-nh.1017986/

[​IMG]

biggeorge, loudbang and Hackerbilt like this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Back when I started building hot rods an race cars in the late 1950s,on my teenage piggy bank of near nothing,I made or remade/mod as much as I could.
    Here's one of my homemade intakes 4x2 {94s linked all at one time},this for the most part started out as a old driveshaft,cut up an I welded together,along with some 1/4in. plate,I did two of these over the years,sold off the first one after using it for about a year an someone had to have it more then me at the time. The one in pic is #2 go an an my welds are a little smoother LOL. 001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    lawman, brEad, pat59 and 26 others like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can't take credit for the TIG welding but most was designed and prepped by me or modified.

20161029_092024.jpg 20161106_120810.jpg

brEad, 6-bangertim, biggeorge and 4 others like this.

5. Nearly everything on my Crossley was fabbed by the original builder. I am going to have to fab some stuff to make the car work for me too.

But here is a teaser this wheel was fabbed in '48 or 9.

DABDCA7C-E38B-46DB-970C-1EBCA722226C.jpeg

Most of this little roadster was fabbed and not bought, when we swapped the 355 into it we didn't have headers that fit just right but we had a set from a Camaro that we cut up and scabbed these together. Not too elegant but they fit.

raven.jpg

brEad, biggeorge, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  6. zzford

zzford

Here's some stuff that I fabbed up in the garage.

Attached Files:

Dino 64, loudbang and 56don like this.
  7. Ghost28

Ghost28

Here is a body I am building using a 24 dodge truck cowl and windshield posts. Made the doors, hinges, and the rear of the tub using a 28 chevy rear body panels IMG_20170131_153441.jpg IMG_20170130_190540.jpg IMG_20170130_191220.jpg IMG_20170130_191220.jpg

brEad, 40FORDPU, jdownunder and 15 others like this.
  8. topher5150

topher5150

on my 47 Ford the center of the frame was pretty rusted out. First I tried making the replacement parts with a band saw, but those came out awful. I got the auto CAD out took some measurements and brought them over to the guys with a CNC plasma cutter. I think it turned out pretty good for a rookie.
    weld.jpg

9. We all were rookies once, some of us still are. ;)

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Frame and headers.
    IMG_20180329_142949.jpg

Rcraft, mohead1, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  11. Your sparkplugs are gonna hit your frame. :D :D :D
    Sorry I just couldn't resist. Looks good. :cool:

loudbang and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yeah, dang Pontiac. They could have done things a little less difficult. Lol

loudbang likes this.
  13. mineseats9

mineseats9
    from Omaha

A friends 425 Nailhead. Custom alternator bracket based off a 455 non AC car bracket, gutted Chevy fuel pump converted to Nailhead arm, custom plug wire holders, lots of work being done to conceal electronics on valley pan.

Attached Files:

14. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

How about some Cam followers. A little welding & they are like new! Hydraulic lash adjusters take up any excess slack.

Attached Files:

loudbang, Hackerbilt and Speed Gems like this.
  15. RmK57

RmK57

IMG_0522.JPG Caltracs. Couldn't get by without them!

Rcraft, loudbang, Hackerbilt and 2 others like this.
  16. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Muffler pipe, 90's, and sheet metal from Lowe's to fab this scoop. Grew tired of glass scoops coming loose. IMG_20150817_175532043~3.jpg

17. This should be a really good thread !
    Super simple frame.
    image.jpeg
    Customers car - '16 willys overland 4 dr touring car and '09 Buick truck bed.
    Bit more complicated frame along with around 100 custom built parts. The rest was modified manufactured parts. Except for the wheels tires , engine block, transmission, and emergency brake handle and turn signal switch - those were used as they came.
    Here's a list of the bigger ones.
    Custom made light bar, custom head light mounts and turn signal mounts, radiator support brackets, modified pitman harm, custom steering arm, Custom hair pins, shock mounts, custom alternator mount, custom fan shroud, custom headers, turn outs and baffles, modified shifter, 1/2 and half steering wheel, custom steering column, e brake pulling linkage, custom made Trans support, gas tank mounts, bed supports, filler neck, fueL, gauge, custom gas pedal, custom brake rod and master cylinder mount, custom rear spring hangers, flattened 40 rear crossmember, custom rear shock mounts, custom tailight stands, rear spreader bar is custom trailer hitch and plate bracket, narrowed 8.8 rear.
    image.jpeg

brEad, Dakar09, biggeorge and 4 others like this.
  18. 33/34 frame rails -front 2/3rds
    Widened and re curved, center custom cross members, custom made rear tails and raked up.
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

loudbang, Hackerbilt and RMR&C like this.
  19. A little brake project I've been working on.

image.jpg

Amc spindle reamed for Chrysler ball joints, Impala slip on rotor, Camaro caliper, ford spud and ford hub custom machined. (Could be a C5 caliper or a TB envoy caliper too but on the Camaro bracket)
    And one mounting bracket ties it all together. I'm waiting for the real bracket to come back from the machine shop
    Oh yeah it will fit on 37 up ford spindle too with a different bracket.:D:D:D:D
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  20. glrbird

glrbird

I don’t think 31 Vicky should be allowed to play, he makes everything look easy!

loudbang likes this.
  21. Making it look easy is the hard part. :p
    That bottle of aspirin plays a very big role in all of this.
    I'm not that good, but I do know my limits. I just ain't scared.

22. bct

bct

I'm proud of my 32 pedal box with the later clutch brake orientation 20170531_233322.jpg
    Had fun making cowl post tops. Even trying to sell them 20170908_185242.jpg
    Made some legs and a center brace 20170603_093957.jpg

Great thread. True hot rodding

loudbang, Hackerbilt, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  23. I Bought rear spring hangers and I tried to use them but they just sucked ass.
    I really didn't want to build them, I got forced into this.
    image.jpg

bct, alanp561, justabeater37 and 14 others like this.
  24. Don't everyone do shit like this?
    Buy or find something that fits and works but just flat out sucks,,,
    So you make it better.
    These ugly ass dorman manifolds can be had in just a few hours at any parts house. Took me less than 20 mins to make it better
    image.jpg

25. I wanted a split window in my car.
    Couldn't find any that fit, but because I wanted it bad enough I made it.
    Used some of a 36 sedan rear window frame and made a big bunch of it
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

A frame rails
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor