Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A coupe Hot Iron build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rail job, Mar 28, 2018.

1. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

After the tough decision to get rid of my T Coupe and a bit of thinking I decided to join the Model A club so I could build something a bit more driver friendly in my area and get my Father in it for some rides.

Still totally in love with prewar I was able to strike a good deal on a 31 Canadian built body with good bones, and a few parts to help it along so, here goes my early 40's hot iron project!

[​IMG]

Like alot of us my budget is limited but this little project will be good therapy for me as I try to work through some worsening mental illness and will hopefully be able to get my brains firing normal again by doing the stuff I used to do.

Now for the fun stuff... I thought about making it all pretty and blowing it apart in my normal OCD thought process however, I wouldn't drive it for a while and honestly it wouldn't be that fun. With that in mind I have this vision in my head of a real early 40's car done like a teenager building his first car with little money and limited tools. Plus I get to drive it while I'm working on it!

Brush painted, maybe black
    Build an interior for it
    17 inch wires
    35 front axle
    Juice brakes
    T rear spring
    Fresh B motor with some speed parts
    Swap the headlights for A lights
    Remove a few modern parts and replace with era correct stuff

Then drive the crap out of it and add a few nice touches like I did on the T, but like a teenager trying to do the best he can.

Thanks for checking it out.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Budget36, brEad, Jet96 and 17 others like this.
  2. Looks like a nice coupe!

osage orange likes this.
  3. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thanks. It's a good start for sure. The body was parked in the 60's for a restoration that was never finished. It has a few holes in the wheel wells but it's pretty straight and solid elsewhere.

4. Looks good. Pre war banger builds are a kick in the head!! Here 's mine...

88.JPG 91.JPG 97.JPG

5. Great project.
    Good luck with the car and with your health. I've had a few health issues myself in last 3 years (prostate) and I find working on one of our car projects helps. My son is in this hobby too and we have a great time. It is therapeutic.....

6. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Great looking banger. Love the color.

Thanks and sorry to hear about your health. The driving decision between my wife and I was to get this project as therapy. It's amazing how just getting it and starting to plan is giving glimpses of myself!

7. Looks like a good plan and therapy.

osage orange likes this.
  8. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome...Honestly it looks done already but your gonna add that vintage Pizazz...Look forward to the journey...'A'men...;)...

Brush painting isn't rocket science (I think its an art actually) but there's some really great threads on it here. You wouldn't know it from spray. I remember a Hamber brush painting a Model A roadster several years ago here. Worth a look.

This is not the roadster thread but one that may help out.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-tradition-of-brush-painting-a-hot-rod.949505/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    waxhead and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

For sure!
    It's a good mocked up car right now but needs a few changes and some "Pizazz" Haha

Thanks for the paint thread. I've done plenty of spray work over the years and could do it to this one but playing the part as a kid with a brush sounds fun. Not to mention I've been painting as an artist for years so I hope it turns out ok. I'll maintain some rough around the edge hot rod feel but one color with interior will be nice and it must have a looking for trouble street race type of vibe.
    Thanks

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very nice, keen to see more pics.

osage orange likes this.
  13. cederholm

cederholm

...this is going to be good!

osage orange likes this.
  14. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thanks. That guy did a great job on the roadster! Mine won't look quite as nice. I could do it but that's not the feel I'm going for.
    For sure! Everything will be well documented.
    I hope so. I'm starting to get a little excited.

chryslerfan55, osage orange and Stogy like this.
  15. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great. Congrats

rail job likes this.
  16. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

[​IMG]

Although cold and rainy today I decided to try a nice AA shell i was going to use on my T and mock it up without hood sides. A bit different and I kind of dig it.

brEad, Jet96, catdad49 and 13 others like this.
  17. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

Subscribed. I like your plan.

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

running a fenderless model A 4 banger is different enough...
    but the flattop looking AA grill really makes it stand out...

chryslerfan55 and osage orange like this.
  19. ...here's one I just posted on the Good Friday Art Show...your's looks really solid, good luck with it...love those Model A's
    art 2018 126.jpg

lumpy 63, Jet96, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  20. Very practical, clear-headed approach on both fronts. I'm excited for you.

Dads Pics 057.JPG
    Here's my '29 in 1969. Like you, I wanted to drive it, not look at pieces strewn all over the garage.

Jet96, Stogy, 55Deso and 1 other person like this.
  21. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thank you!
    I like v8 cars but a good banger set up is my fave. We'll see about the grill. It doesn't sit flush against the radiator causing a little gap I'm not happy with.
    Good stuff! I can't lay down anything realistic to save my life.
    Awesome. Honestly I think I've spent more time wrenching on my stuff instead of driving over the years. This one isn't entering the jackstand Olympics. Not doing it. Lol

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. bubba55

bubba55

SWEET - keep posting pics as da progress goes

23. trollst

trollst

Excellent, doing what you love to do IS good for the brain, it puts you in another level of being, and that can alter the way your brain actually works. I know you'll achieve your goal, I think driving it during the build is a great idea. Looks like a good start, good luck.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Will do.
    Thanks for the kind words. Just taking the steps to get the car and start planning has helped my focus more than anything over the past few months. Hopefully the upward trend continues!

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

I typically spend a lot of time sitting around looking at a new project before I really dig in with tools. Making decisions or planning my attack and such. Ya know... Typical over thinking nature sort of stuff while I catch the vibe of what I am working on.

For some reason all I can think is weekend racecar when I look at this worn out Coupe. If I end up making it look the part I might recreate what I found under the paint on the decklid today along with other minimal lettering.

[​IMG]

Nothing crazy over the top but I can't stop looking at 30's and 40's racecars right now. Especially old roundy round dirt track stuff.

[​IMG]

Kind of digging the front guard on that roadster too.

waxhead, barrnone50, brEad and 5 others like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@rail job that is a big truck shell? I saw one on an Argentinian racer and I thought it was perhaps a slightly different feature on Fords in different countries but I was wrongo Me thinks...:eek:...and I think it looks awesome.

27. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thanks, and yeppers. I found a few examples of them on the big trucks. I wasn't sure at first but, it does line up to the mounting tabs on the rad pretty well. I do think the AA rads were a little thicker.

I actually bought it from a guy using it as well art with a mirror in it. Lol. I had it in my stash to use on my 26 Coupe. Glad I didn't cut it up. I think it works on the A much better.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Felipe Toltecatl likes this.
  29. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

So much fun for sure! I have a small stash of roadster parts and would love to build an old race car one day. Maybe after I sort the coupe out...

Stogy likes this.