Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glasspacks

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Don Bratton, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Don Bratton

Don Bratton

Back in the 60's and 70's many builders would install glasspacks as the muffler of choice. It gave a great sound, especially the gurgles and pops when you let off the gas. They were used in various lengths, the longer the length the mellower the sound.

Now, virtually no one uses glasspacks anymore. Any reason why?

2. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Not legal in many States. I still use them! Got them on my ‘49 Build.

3. Stooge

Stooge

Not me.....I used Steel packs :rolleyes:

54EARL, Paul, Clay Belt and 1 other person like this.
  4. missysdad1

missysdad1

You need to stop reading "Street Rodder" and get out into the real world of traditional hot rods a little more often, Don.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Mufflers don't pop & gurgle ... engines that don't run right pop & gurgle.

6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I run 36 inch Glasspacks in my 33 , they do have a " Back Rap " when coming down from acceleration
    IMG_0180.JPG

7. Running them on 2 of my rides

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

had them on my chopped '54 - the filler had been blown out long ago - nick name was LaBomba

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Clay Belt and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  9. Actually air before the muffler will make them pop and gurgle. We used to take a stock exhaust on "Moms" sedan and drill a 1/8 hole right in front of the muffler didn't change a thing with the gas on but when you let off it was like rice crispys on steroids. :D

I still run glass packs. Actually about anyone with a late model pickup around here runs one with a split behind the muffler. They call them turbo torpedoes.

10. I’ve got two 24” waiting to go on my Buick

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running 12" Brockman Mellow Tone glass packs on my '32 and '51. The '40 will get some also.

acjcf2 likes this.
  12. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Back in the 70's and 80's they were popular in my area due to being cheap, and if you were a kid that wanted to tick -off the old folks, you wanted to make noise! The local auto parts stores used to have a metal trash can by the front door, filled with "Cherry Bombs", because they sold so many! They went away as cars introduced more techno-crap, and 4-6 cylinder engines took over. Now the "Old" car owners are also getting "Old", and most around my area want a more quiet rumble (as do their wives) when they cruise. I am still young enough I don't mind some noise!

chryslerfan55, reagen, czuch and 2 others like this.
  13. I took a pair of Summit glass packs off my Ford last year and went to something quieter. BLAAAATTTTT...

The old days, Lemon Peelers were another brand. I do wish the old Thrush round cans were around, those had a better sound to them than the 'packs.

Frankie47, Wrench666 and 29StudeDude like this.
  14. Running long pipes helps. Gets the noise away from the cockpit. LOL

The raven and I were talking about the exhaust on my new project and I had said that I plan to run glass packs and pipes all the way out the back. He said I should just run the headers open like we do on the roadster. I pointed out to him that a sedan/coupe is like riding inside a speaker cabinet and you want the noise as far away as possible. :D :D :D

15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have smithy's on mine 22 inch

1956 F100 likes this.
  16. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

The glass packed turn outs mounted to sprint headers on my '33 Vicky came out near the side windows. They sounded great at idle, but when I romped on it, you'd go deaf from the roar, and that echo effect you mention inside the old car bodies! Long trips on the highway had you saying, "What?" a lot when you got where you were going! 010.jpg

17. L
    The 32" Brockmans on my 34 & Flo-Masters on the 32 & Porsche 944s W/Reds headers on the 34 coupe.

18. I've got 24" Walker glasspacks on 2 of my cars. Exhaust exits behind the rear bumper though, and the car is pretty quiet inside. The folks I travel with do say it's pretty loud if I pass them at WOT though.

There are so many choices for exhaust these days, not everyone is going to want to use glasspacks (They're illegal where I live by the way. I haven't been bothered about them since I was 18, so nearly 50 years.) There are still lots of people that want and use glasspacks these days.

19. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

brockman mellowtone steelpacks on my 47 ford coupe. 59ab

20. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This topic brings back many fond memories of my formative years fooling around with cars. Back in the day it was either Cherry Bombs or the Thrush glass packs that have already been talked about. They had a great sound that sounded "right" when we were cruising down the long main street in Rice Lake, Wisconsin...

plymouthgoat62 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Stooge

Stooge

i have two 20" long Porter 2.5" Steel packs in a sbc truck with the exhaust stopping under the bed right before the axle. Sort of loud, a little spendy, but a great sound, and great quality. when cruising along, they are noticeable but not obnoxious in the cab, unless your constantly stomping on it. i'll be buying another one for the straight 8 buick when I get to that point.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Kerrmudgeon

Kerrmudgeon
    from Canada

Two things come to mind with glass packs. First, they burn out the fiberglass packing in a couple of years and then they're just straight through LOUD. Second, with the advent of the small turbo mufflers originally on turbo Corvairs you got a small size, free flow, and really cool sound. After they came in during the 70s the 'packs were pretty well old news. My .02 cents anyway. :D

jim snow, mountainman2 and 'Mo like this.
  23. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Running something similar on the '31. Kook's 2-1/2" race mufflers with an X pipe. A lot quieter than you'd think.[​IMG]

24. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Puttin' Smithy's on mine!
    IMG_1283.JPG

25. 'Mo

'Mo

Turbos rule.
    BUT... currently running custom shorty (14") straight-through (echo can) Brockman steel packs , AND motorcycle baffles, AND fiberglass wrapping.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and Elcohaulic like this.
  26. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Sure wish Walker still made the Continentals they had a great sound for a glass pack.
    I have 36 year old 30" Cherry Bombs on my '57 they still sound pretty good!
    KK

27. For awhile, I couldn't find good glasspaks or steel packed mufflers that had the straight through internal pipe. I found that although the exterior looked the same, there were baffles inside the muffler, so there was probably as much, or more, back pressure than a stock muffler.
    I switched to the Turbo mufflers, and even though they are a little louder, they do have a nice sound.
    Bob

28. I'm running two 36" long Cherry Bombs on my small block Chevy daily driver, they pop and cackle when you let off the gas. I had a Purple Hornie on another truck. The Purple Hornies are louder than the Cherry Bombs.

29. rmorris

rmorris

My 1960 Chevy Impala, 283/power glide has dual glass packs. It sounds almost as good as my 1955 Chevy with Cherry Bombs did in 1965. Old school still rules. I just need cut outs, again!! Or 68, just thought it was 65, lost a few years in smoke.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  30. Deuces

Deuces

Cherry Bombs were introduced in 1968.......