Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car show music

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lordairgtar, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Something like this would be more like it? ...beats "beep,beep".

2. Car show music gets in the way of my theme music, as I'm pullin' in!

3. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Or this !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1R8LEzJcjw

Actually, I like the O.P.s philosophy about reasonable sound levels, and a variety mix of songs. I wish more DJs would follow his lead. But. I'm an old fart so my opinion may not count for much with the younger crowd.:D

4. Lose that doo wop crap...play anything but that 50s garbage....and I remember when that 50s crap was new...it sucked then....it still sucks today !!!

5. Shitboxdodge

Shitboxdodge

Well, as the OP was over a year ago I imagine the show is over and done with. I have enjoyed reading through the post and getting everyone's personal take on music. The one thing I have to disagree 100% with is any hair metal at a car show...unless that car show is for people with 80's mustangs, z28's with t-tops and lame ass vettes! Hair metal may have it's place but not at any real car show. Also, as much as people like it, 70's classic rock is overplayed...

As far as great hot rod music...I don't think it is any particular genre or time period...I just know the stuff that sounds right when working on my car or cruising...

Any 50's or 60's garage rock...x3 on the Nuggets suggestion. Rockabilly old and new is always good. Punk, of the US variety and before the 90's along with late 70's and early 80's hardcore. There is a ton of great 50's and 60'd music as long as it is the stuff that never got played on the radio. Again, not suggestions for a car show dj but since this thread is so old some suggestions for good hot rod / car music that maybe not everyone has heard of...

The Mummies
    The Cramps
    This Is Rockabilly Clash - tribute album
    The Waco Brothers
    Agent Orange (pre heavy metal crap)
    The Monks
    Thee Headcoats
    The Dirtbombs

Hell, there are too many to list. Also a big x2 to the early post of The Beat Farmers...

But, whatever you do...buy it on f'ing vinyl!!!!

6. sub006

sub006

The one thing that bugs me about the almost-every-Friday-night car show in old downtown Garden Grove, California is they don't play anything post-'63. Missing out on some good Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, to say nothing of the British Invasion, including the Beatles, who arrived here before the Mustang or the GTO.

Muscle cars lasted through 1970 at the earliest cut-off, and when those Hemi Cudas and Boss 429s were new, we listened to Hendrix and plenty of other late-'60s songs while driving them!

Crazy Steve likes this.
  7. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

basically if they play it on Little Stevens Underground Garage I like it. Tired of the 50's stuff blaring at the car shows.

8. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I paint murals with students all over S.C. schools. I have a large playlist of surf....instrumentals with no vocals. It is great background music and has no lyrics and nothing offensive.

Los Straitjackets,
    Jienexfore
    Aqualads
    Surf report
    Monterreys

Even the kids who swear they listen to nothing but rap are down the hall boppin to the tunes.

9. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Mix it it up without elevator music. Keep the volume down so we don't have to shout at somebody answering their question about my ride. Even throw in some BLUGRASS!!

10. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Still waiting for those CDs....LOL

11. Todd M.

Todd M.

When I do a cruise in the crowd favorite is playing bad to the bone while everyone is revving there engines. A crowd pleaser and always get's the public attention.

12. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Anyway, thought I'd revisit this thread. Thanks for that list. I took a lot of the suggestions on your list and have added them. Thanks for taking the time to type all that. I added them about a year and a half ago and I really am having a lot more fun DJing car shows. I still get the "Stuck In The 50s" guys bitching, but it's slowly turning around. If you ever get out my way, myself and another DJ by the name of Howlin' Jay Crapser are helping to rev up the DJ scene at car shows. I myself am a less is more guy and I don't blast the music. I am also switching to a FM transmitter...if you want to hear it, you can tune in your radio...and yes, there were FM radios pre 1965. Thanks all!

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why does it have to be so damn loud? I've gone to shows and could seriously hear the music a 1/2 block away. I can listen to just about anything, that doesn't shake a filling loose.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  14. What he just said ^

15. LJHoney

LJHoney
    from Maryland

Hey, I was just looking over your list.......WOW! Is there anyway I could get a copy of the songs from your ipod? Maybe you could copy them to a cd or a usb drive. I would be willing to pay you for it.

16. LJHoney

LJHoney
    from Maryland

Hey, I was just looking over your list.......WOW! Is there anyway I could get a copy of the songs from your ipod? Maybe you could copy them to a cd or a usb drive. I would be willing to pay you for it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Loud poodle skirt music SUCKS

lothiandon1940, X38 and iwanaflattie like this.
  18. zzford

zzford

I notice that no one wanted disco.

chevy57dude likes this.
  19. LJHoney

LJHoney
    from Maryland

20. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Given this day and age, why cant a DJ have a play list long enough so that a particular song only gets played
    once during the day? Mix in music with no singing, etc. At the Havasu Deuce show last year, they positioned the speakers away from the cars.....so us old farts who cant hear can converse with the guy standing next to us. At a recent show here in Tucson, the live band made it impossible to converse...and they sucked at singing.

X38 likes this.
  21. Boy, you are either excited or impatient.;) Send him a PM, you might have better luck. (and tell that Chillumite of yours I said hello)

22. I HAVE TO TO TALK LIKE THIS AT OUR LOCAL ROD RUNS BECAUSE THE POODLE SKIRT CRAP IS VERY LOUD
    HARD TO TALK TO FOLKS WHEN YOU HAVE TO TALK WITH THE CAPS LOCK ON

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  23. I'm gonna use that.:)

anthony myrick likes this.
  24. there is no way the cool guys listened to that back in the day

the cool guys didnt listen to Whitney Huston or INSINC (I dont care that I dont know how to spell that) when I was in school

Deuces likes this.
  25. WHAT?

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  26. EXACTLY
    IS THAT A 331 OR A 354?
    OTHER GUY SAYS "NO ITS 6:30pm"

27. And don't forget, the earlier you go, the more regional and segregated it was.
    There was Charlie Parker and there were people who never heard of him.
    But apart from that, there is no rule that says car people are automatically music people either. Some people couldn't give a shit about any kind of music, then or now.

anthony myrick likes this.
  28. desotot

desotot

but,,, Rock and Roll and Rods sure beats listening to country music any time.:)

29. A few not mentioned....

Henry - New Riders of the Purple Sage
    Planet Claire - B-52s
    Effen It Don't Go, Chrome It - Mr. Gasser & the Weirdos (Surf-Meister Gary Usher and Ed Roth vocals!)
    Not Fade Away- Buddy Holley version, or if you want to mix it up, Grateful Dead Skull and Roses Live version (there's a bunch of great cuts on this album), early Stones cover this too.
    Ain't It a shame - Buddy Holley again, but lots of great covers; Cheap Trick Live At Budokan comes to mind...
    A few more artists you very rarely hear... Tommy James, Standells, Sonics, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Johnny Winter...

The '50s-music crowd is dying off, most show attendees these days are in their mid-60s or younger.

30. Deuces

Deuces

Yo got that right!!!!!....:rolleyes::confused: