Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2018 Banger Meet - Equinox Time***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. I don't know! Would be never used? Or needs more machining? Look at the pictures... The hole in the water outlet and miss a hole in the center too...
    Something relating with the water flow?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G610M using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96 likes this.
  2. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Shoot , that almost as nice engine stand as mine !!

3. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dan,
    Hate to tell you this, but no use being miserable alone, eh !
    Yeah , there IS two alum cast blks (one 3main/one 5main) that have been worked some. Sleeves paid for.
    But, there ain't no cast iron castings...yet ! There are 5 cores ready for casting(foundry jargon).
    If he had two dozen 5 main blocks ready right now, I say that they would all be sold quick !
    And, the OHV head he is replicating is from an original Schofield. He is improving on some aspects, I'm told. Don't think that that has happened yet either.
    YOU are right, IMO, that tooo many irons in the 'fire' for only one to handle.

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]

maybe a special head for a purpose . the hole where the water outlet is --- looks like maybe a restrictor hole instead of using a thermostat . when I was racing we used a aluminum plate with a 5/8 hole for water restriction rather than use a thermostat as they can stick open/closed . who made the head ? what was it on ? interesting !

ratamahata likes this.
  5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good Day Gentlemen. Public service alert...small child take up lot of time. That is all. Happy Tuesday.

Outback, winduptoy and The37Kid like this.
  6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

SMALL CHILD WOULD HAVE BEEN FAR EASIER TO GET ALONG WITH IF YOU HADN'T NAMED HIM AFTER ME :eek:

Outback, fur biscuit, waxhead and 3 others like this.
  7. Is this one of those "if you have to ask, you won't understand?" I'm so lost sometimes. Can someone explain?.. Also, can anyone with a roadster post some pictures of their seats? I need to get some ideas. Other than stock seats please and thanks

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fir is saying he is spending more time with his youngster than on his HAMB project, but he wants us to know that's why he is ignoring us... IMG_20180327_102121431.jpg IMG_20180327_102150670.jpg
    My'29 Roaster

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96, Outback, waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is mine, but it probably won't help.

CDO F Fingers.jpg

waxhead and 52 ford coe like this.
  10. That's great thanks! Just need some ideas

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  11. Thanks for clearing that for me. Little slow to the party sometimes. Also, thanks for the picture!

12. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

If you roadster is stock with stock seat, here is couple things you can do to make room.
    Just behind the top of the seat back, there is a 'package tray'..as stock. Remove that tray and the seat can be relocated more towards rear. Also, have the seat springs/padding changed to make much thinner profile. A LOT of room can be gained that way. There is a custom seat made for this purpose that can be changed with stock. You can also cut and re-do the stock seat riser...metal framework that the seat springs set on. Lower or remove that (or reconfigure it) and you will have more leg room. Lastly, shorten you legs (joke ?) and/or the peddle shafts slightly for more room.

13. V4F... Had no castings or marks... I presume was make for a special race car o car in a racing category in my country... Back in the days 50' 60's there was some categories of racing called Limited 27' or limited 31' only cars up too 27' or 31' ...
    Some engine mods was maded by those man's...
    I don't really know what do you explain about that hole or the purpose!! I understand that hole restricted the water flow an act like a thermostat!! But with a higher compression head you'll need more cooler?

14. [QUOTE="hardtimesainit, post: shorten you legs (joke ?)
    I'm going to keep my legs Haha... this is what I have. I do have a base but no back. I don't want a regular a back because it will be to big. I spoke with Bob at bengels seats. He was real informative but I don't want to make a decision until I get more ideas. What would you guys do? 20180314_185624.jpg

15. looks the same way driving down the freeway..............HA!!!

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  16. Jiminy

Jiminy

52 ford coe likes this.
  17. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

First batch of finned side timing covers complete, and all accounted for. Thanks Dave fourspd2quad
    IMG_4174.JPG IMG_4176.JPG IMG_4176.JPG

Outback, ROCKER77, Old Dawg and 4 others like this.
  18. Interesting article on Brumfield heads!

Higher compression can also mean better cooling. It is true that the higher the compression ratio, the higher the combustion chamber temperature. But by comparison between two alike engines with different compression ratios, the higher compression one will tend to run cooler. The high compression delivers more of the energy of the fuel as power and less for heat. Consequently, it will run cooler at the same speed and load.

http://www.modelatrader.com/brumfield/headtext.html

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Model A converted to an air compressor?

Outback likes this.
  20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...or related to me.

Get the head scans back tomorrow, guy seems pretty happy with the results. Will see what we have to work with. Time to learn fusion 360.

Outback likes this.
  21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If a PSA for small child causes confusion, this will cause mental implosion. Just here for the chaos. Happy Wednesday.

Attached Files:

Jet96, Outback and Old Dawg like this.
  23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

So, is that Naval camouflage or Art Deco paint?

Outback and Old Dawg like this.
  24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THE PAINT WORKS... I CAN'T SEE A BELLY-BUTTON ANYWHERE..... BUT AS YOU KNOW I CAN'T SEE

25. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a Frontenac painted up in WW1 dazzle paint scheme!

Old Dawg likes this.
  26. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have the same issue with my Stocker roadster. Maybe build a different seat riser and different cushions. I need to take the seats out and asses what I am going to do. on my coupe I moved the stock riser back 6 inches and shortened the package tray. Not something you can do on a roadster. I also rebuilt my seat springs with shorter springs. sorry that I am not much help.

27. Anything is good really. I need ideas on what to do. I keep looking at it and thinking... what am I going to do? I've looked at it long enough. Summer is coming and time to do something.

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my coupe seat was built with high density foam , contoured with electric kitchen knife . put 1500 miles on it on a trip . more comfort than my wife caddy . lumbar support & contoured for my butt . never got the ole tired butt syndrome . no springs , no sag , stock seat frame . had it for like 7 yrs now .............

52 ford coe likes this.
  29. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

MANY YEARS AGO I USTTA GO TO AIRCRAFT WRECKING IN CARSON, CALIFORNIA... I'D BUY STAINLESS STEEL WWII BOMBER SEATS. THESE WERE NOS AND COST ME $7.00 EACH. I THINK THEY ARE MORE EXPENSIVE NOW.... USED THEM A LOTS OF STUFF. ONCE COVERED NO ONE KNEW WHAT THEY WE'RE

IT'S LIKE MY OLD BRAIN CAP HELMET COLLECTION I COUPLE TIMES I REALLY STEPPED US AND SPENT $10 ON ONE IF IT WAS NOS... AND BIG ENOUGH TO FIT... THIS ONE IS FRENCH ... DOPED CANVAS WITH A CORK LINER.. NO ONE BROUGHT BEFORE ME CAUSE IT HAD ONE BROKEN SNAP... NOW FIXED :)

ME HALF MY LIFE AGO...
    Big Jim.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Outback, Old Dawg, ROCKER77 and 4 others like this.
  30. Bluto, off subject but, how much do those helmets go for now??