Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Trash Picked Cameo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James426, Mar 25, 2018.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding save sir.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe,
    Leo

2. Holy Moly! nice find. Good luck with it.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Educate me. Are the Cameo doors different than the regular cab doors?

4. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Nope! Exactly the same 1955.2 through 1959.

OP - You SUCK! - But in a good way of course. Hugely jealous you found this truck at all and that it is a Cameo AND it has a lot of really good work done to it? Man, GREEN with jealousy. Please post a build thread. Best, Dan

Torkwrench and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. scotts52

scotts52

Thanks for sharing what you paid for it. I know a lot of people don't for varying reasons but it gives others hope that they can land a good deal on something some day too, as well as educating others on what a good deal is and isn't. Some things that people consider a good deal now amaze me as I remember when they were a fraction of the cost. Helps me to keep up on the current perspective of what things are worth.

RockinRivi and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  6. lilmann

lilmann

7. James426

James426

No. There is nothing different about the cabs from a regular truck at all.

And sharing the price just lets people in on the fun. :)

egads, Bubba1955 and pat59 like this.
  8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow a very cool save ,

9. philo426

philo426

The bed is key on a Cameo!

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

pssst, hey dont tell anyone, but I know where you can double your money on it, today!

RockinRivi and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. James426

James426

Going through the parts, there are double of so many of the Cameo parts. Double latches, cable retractors, tallights, trim, emblems and so much more! I'm stoked. IMG_1453.jpg IMG_1454.jpg

Apenaut, flyin-t, T-roaster and 8 others like this.
  12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

On my phone, the bedsides look rusty at a glance in the pics. Happy for you, mister. I hope your doors pop up on craigslist or ebay.

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Assuming the last pics came with the truck, If not you work a lot faster than anyone Ive ever saw, If you just got it today.........Glad you got it and kept it from a worse fate but cant help but feel sorry for the guy who got evicted and lost the family truck, Hope the 1500 gets him back on his feet a little and gets him headed back in the rite direction.

14. James426

James426

Yeah, we have a forklift so putting the cab back on was easy and I just wanted to see the fenders on it and of course wheels.... lol

Apenaut, RockinRivi and spurgeonforge like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guy (s) who got paid to clean up the house after he got evicted most likely. Probably before he could find a place to move it to. I went to buy a truck I heard about under similar circumstances (complete truck) and the dude's land lord hand already had the scrap yard haul it off before I got there. I met the owner of the truck there and it was gone. Scrap yard wanted jacked up towing and impound fees that were three times what the guy wanted for it.
    On the doors fitting, I have somewhat come to the conclusion that each GM truck factory around the country had it's own stamping dies and they weren't that closely matched. At least on AD trucks it seems that way.
    That truck reminds me that in the mid 70's I had a serous want for a Cameo I even tried to buy one in Texas but didn't have near the money for it even then.

16. Slopok

Slopok

I always thought the bed sides were fiberglass no???

Spooky and grantrobert like this.
  17. philo426

philo426

Red oxide primer?

18. Remember our college band director, the late Dr. Dave Walters at Jacksonville State University, driving a '57 Cameo when I was in the band there in the early '70s.

19. James426

James426

Yes it is fiberglass with weathered red oxide primer but it does look like surface rust. They call that patina now. ;)

RockinRivi and Slopok like this.
  20. Slopok

Slopok

21. wow....what a story

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations and hopefully the doors reappear somewhere...What more to say than what has already.

Being a Cameo it reminds me of a friend of mine also a Hamber who bought a 55 Cameo I believe at or slightly under a $1000 and was told the motor wouldn't run...He replaced the starter and battery...it ran perfect and he resold for significantly more due to the fact the seller was unaware of its value. It was Canadian but a very very clean solid Cameo...just one of those wild stories just like this one. As @low budget said when your down nothing matters. The fate you brought to the Truck was a much better outcome than it would have should the scrappers got their hands on it.

TFoch and RockinRivi like this.
  23. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

0909tr_08_z+1956_chevy_cameo+left_rear_angle.jpg Who doesn't love a story with a happy ending. Here's something to inspire you.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    grumpy32, exterminator and mgtstumpy like this.
  24. SD55-1

SD55-1

25. Great save.......in the early 70s I found a pea green and white 58 Cameo on the back lot of the local [northern Oregon] chevy dealer. When I asked about it the sales man said it was a trade-in and had a rebuilt 283 in it. Wanted $225 f or it! I celebrated with my brother in law that night because my check was coming in the mail the next day....told him the story and even showed him the truck...you guessed it. When I got down there after the mail came the truck was gone and my bro in law had bought it.
    Seemed to me the 58s had even more chrome and stainless than the earlier ones but the pea green paint was awful. He loaned the truck to his buddy after swapping in a 327/4 speed and the buddy totaled it into a tree in Portland!
    I win.

brad2v and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocky had a Cameo Voodoo Model...:D...couple pins in the tires and bingo bongo. Ahh family...whatta pal...:mad:

brad2v likes this.
  27. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Basically, a Cameo is a big window Deluxe Cab short bed step side, that has fiberglass fenders, tailgate cover and spare tire carrier.

Here are a few photos of my 55 that I'm, (very), slowly rebuilding. Pre-accident, after I restored it for my Dad; When it was totaled; What it's like today.

scan0013.jpg scan0015.jpg scan0022.jpg

Spooky, grumpy32 and mgtstumpy like this.
  28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Down here it is not classed as 'stealing by finding' as ownership has been waived. We don't use titles either. Great score. HTF did he get it into the house, particularly living room without knocking holes in walls or removing load bearing walls. 20160720_170313.jpg 20160720_170248.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  29. James426

James426

It was on a dolly and he has a large glass slider in the front of the house and the slab is on ground level. . He would lift the sliding glass doors off of the track and roll it right in.

Stogy likes this.