Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Traditional front suspension... school me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40ply, Mar 25, 2018.

1. A few years back I took the family to Disneyland and during our trip had an extra day to spend with an old friend riding around in his fenderless 32 ford roadster. Well that roadster bug bit damn hard and since tomorrow is never promised and I can't afford even a model A roadster let alone a 32, I'm starting to collect parts needed to build something from the leftover parts from restoring my dad's 1st car a 1927 Chrysler. I have a cowl, hood and grill, a couple of sets of doors and the back part of a 4 door sedan, also a frame. I'm thinking of building a 2 door phaeton out of it like the one built on this threa dhttps://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/im-building-a-1927-chrysler.786444/ (really love the build, top notch work) but maybe not so low and keeping a little more of the Chrysler lineage. I'm thinking of keeping the rear suspension parallel leaf spring but want to change the front to a ford traverse spring/split wishbone setup and ditch the stock parallel leaf front suspension. I'm a novice when it comes to ford suspension and was wondering what to look for with swap meet season coming up, I'm still raising my family so I have to keep it budget built. What years did ford put brakes on the front axle? (27 Chrysler only had rear linkage brakes). I want something pretty common and easy to find and find parts and upgrades for. I got a lot of info from Pete Eastwood's cowl steering thread regarding pivot points and bumpsteer but I'm going to stay away from cowl steering. Any advice? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Clay Belt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. My signature exactly....... There are a lot of good books and posts on the traditional steering. I'd do a search.

Hot Rod Nut likes this.
  3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Chrysler were 4wheel and hydraulic from ‘24 ish . You could maybe use a Chrysler tube axle in the front , someone who knows more should be along soon

4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

That depends on what people were looking for in a car and where they lived. Early Fords were far superior when they got of the paved or gravel roads as is evident from the video's promoting this feature of the Ford vehicle.

5. Rockysmodified.jpg My advice is don't get discouraged for lack of fundage...let your buddies know what you're doing and don't be too proud to accept any of their cast offs. I put this little modified together using some give-away steel tubing, a 15 dollar 230 chevy six, T-5 and a freeby 31 chevy pickup cab/doors less back panel and top.
    Another buddy gave me his 36 chevy pickup front axle and springs when he went to Mustang II. My back cab corners were made from a throw away 40 chevy hood and an old 50 chevy door skin, all stitched together.
    Point is, let it sit for awhile if you run outa gas or money on the project but keep collecting parts, drawing out your plans etc etc....its' tough raising kids, paying mortgages and just living but building a low buck hot rod can be done if you have some patience...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  6. This was a business coupe model 52 so only linkage brakes on the rear and the front axle has no provisions for attaching brakes. I think by changing to a ford axle it opens you up to more options because of its popularity. Probably easier to find than a different Chrysler axle.

7. You could probably cut to the chase and get both the Tardel books on building an early Ford hot rod, where all this is covered in one place. Well, two.

Other wise, you'll get it all piece meal here and you may not get what you want because you don't know the specific questions. That's the catch 22.

Get the books, study the P&J diagrams and information. After that you'll be better placed to ask about stuff.;)

Vern Tardel is the book guy...gets mention here all the time.

8. Thanks I'll have a look for those books.