Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Who didn't know Sancho would find another pic of it? :)

Neat the 39 is still around and the new owner knew enough about this thread to let you know he has it. How cool is that?

2. @rudestude posted this in the Kustoms Blues... thread. Jim Noble's Sh-Boom W.E.H.T. #106, from a 2009 Goodguy's Gazette.
    [​IMG]

This shows another paint job that hadn't been posted yet. Although they were all similar, that car must have been painted a LOT.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I think the Sh-Boom has gone off the rails. Personally I prefer the newer extended rear quarters over the Cad lights that used to be on it, but way too many geegaws have been added to the rest of the car. What's with the gladiator chariot hubcaps???!!!

4. I was just looking at that picture on the Kustom Blues thread and I was going to post it here. Great minds think alike, huh @Sancho?
    At first the different paint threw me, but then I realized it was Jim's Ford. I'd bet that Mr. Jack Hughes had a hand in those hubcaps. Since Jim was from Ohio and Jack is too, I think it would be safe to guess that they knew each other. E

5. Yep, great minds....
    I was also thinking that those may be Jack Hughes caps. If not they sure look like his work, especially with the blades out past the edge of the wheel.

6. John B

John B

Jim and Jack did know each other. We all ran in the same circle since we were all Kustoms Of America officials. Jim, like me, was a state director and Jack was the Chaplin.

drdave, stanlow69, 54delray and 5 others like this.
  7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

drdave, stanlow69, 54delray and 3 others like this.
  8. rudestude

rudestude

Here is another shot of the " getting wilder " shoe box ...
    Good guys Gazette November 2009
    12th Good guys PPG Nationals
    Owner : Bob Fryz of Dearborn,MI
    Wow..those pipes ....it should be named Ka-Boom ..the sound that it must make when he hits the "After Burners".....[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. What the heck is on either side of the continental spare?
    Speakers?

rodncustomdreams and OG lil E like this.
  10. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Hahaha that’s totally speakers

Sent from my iPad

11. I'm sorry, but that whole car is just a monument to bad taste.

Mick

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Never could figure out WHY guys have to have those #$#$#$ flame throwers. Those ugly assed black boxes certainly don't add to the looks of that car...and neither do the speakers...!!!
    (and I'm one that usually holds his tongue...!!!)

R-

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Back to Kustom Blues thread. Post 9422-- is Dave Williams truck in the background.

14. Man, you guys never cease to amaze me with the way you study the photographs that everybody posts. Thought I'd highlight the truck in the picture and post it here. Thanks for pointing that out Jim (@stanlow69)! E

Dave Williams 58 IH background.jpg

54delray, drdave, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  15. AND...O/T for this thread, but does anyone have any old pics of Williams' C-cab?? If it's the same Dave Williams..

16. rudestude

rudestude

Here is a truck ,not a C-cab, owned by a Ron Williams from Clay City Kansas[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. What Ever Happened To..........? number 108.

1950 Mercury "Half Breed"
    Owner: ? ? ? ? ?
    ? ? ? ? ?, Ohio

This week's W.E.H.T. is one that I've been looking for information on for quite some time and I haven't found much. Matter of fact, I don't even know the owner's name or what town he was from. On video, there were some great shots of it at the 1985 Leadsled Spectacular in Springfield, Ohio, including one nice view of the rear where you can make out the Ohio license plates. I've watched lots of video looking for this Merc and '85 is the only year I found it on.
    As far as magazines and other printed material, I came up empty. Not a single picture of it or any information.
    I did have some luck looking for pictures. Rikster's site came through again as I found three pictures of it. I didn't find any real good pictures of the front of the car, but a few good side shots and one of the rear. In searching for pictures of this car, and studying the ones I found, I thought for a while that it was a later version of Bev Graf '50 Merc "Small Town Flirt". If you look at the front of Bev's car and the front of "Half Breed", the front ends look very similar. Also, they are both a close shade of red with similar style scallops. After a lot of studying, it became clear these were two different cars for a number of reasons. "Half Breed" had a louvered hood, and the "Small Town Flirt" didn't. Also, "Half Breed" had slightly slanted "B" pillars and the "Small Town Flirt" had straight ones, and the skirts were different styles on each car. But, the one fact that determined these were two different cars is that they were both at the 1985 Leadsled Spectacular.

"Small Town Flirt"
    50 Merc Small Town Flirt a.jpg

"Half Breed"
    Half Breed 50 c Merc.jpg

If you go to the rear of these Mercs, that's where the main differences are. "Small Town Flirt" had stock rear quarters with stacked and frenched '56 Chevy taillights, and the "Half Breed" Mercury has Plymouth quarter panels and taillights.

"Small Town Flirt"
    50 Merc Small Town Flirt b.jpg

"Half Breed"
    Half Breed 50 a Merc SPC.jpg

Half Breed 50 b Merc.jpg

That's all the information I have on this one. It looks like we have a mystery to solve folks. Who owned the sweet Mercury from Ohio affectionately known as "Half Breed"? Is it still around, all re-done and unrecognizable? Who was the lucky person who got to sit behind the wheel and cruise by people and watch their jaws drop? I guess this is the perfect thing to have the last Tuesday before Easter, an Easter egg hunt for information (lol)! I hope we can find the owner's name and town and put it in this post. As I've always said, I like to give credit where credit is due.
    So until next time, let me be among the first to wish all you kustom faithful out there a very Happy Easter! Take care! E

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Ron, Lou kriger, drdave and 8 others like this.
  18. Half-Breed also had the drip rails shaved off. Other than that....I got nothing.

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It`s similar but different from the one of the late Thomas Robinsons Merc in Westerville Ohio. The pic`s of it before the auction.

drdave, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  20. Posted by @SwitchBlade327, 2006 in this thread: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/kustoms.84572/page-14

"Hey, I know the guy that owns that merc with "half Breed" on the back. He has a ton of cars, somewhere around 20. All finished but the 32 he's building right now. Cool old fella, only one at the local spots that actually will hang out and bullshit with me. His merc is really nice, but the half breed indian stuff he has on it drives me nuts!"

Unfortunately a lot of the pictures in that thread are gone.

21. Switchblade hasn't been on here since 2011.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Any idea what it says on the C-pillar behind the quarter window?

23. Some great fill in information guys. This has been a hard car to find information on as you guys haven't found much either. I'm sure the owner will be found eventually.
    I blew up the pictures over and over to try to see what the lettering on the C-pillar was, but it didn't help. To me it looks like it says "Big Chief", but it is so small I could be wrong.
    Hey @Sancho, I really like the picture you posted of the Juarez Merc with the front end locked up. Takes me back to the days when lowriders cruised around with the front end up and the back scraping the ground. Nowadays when you see lowriders cruising around here in Denver, they are always lifted up all the way around like a 4 wheel drive. They are using such tall cylinders it looks pretty ridiculous. I don't get the new trends. E

24. That's why I posted them over here too. I know what you mean, I really like that photo too. I figured you would dig that.

54delray, chryslerfan55 and OG lil E like this.
  25. I got nuthin'....but I really dig those needle nose skirts! The look pretty flat on the edges, so I'm wondering if they are real deal Jimmy Jones skirts rather than fiberglass.

26. Good point, Doc. The skirts are really cool. I know Jimmy Jones is one of the unknown greats that few people know of, but I would have loved to have met him and if possible, sit and watch him work his magic bringing a set of his great skirts to life!
    The more I look at the last picture of the "Half Breed" where it is parked by the white car, the more I'm impressed with the bodywork and paint. It is razor straight and the reflection is a mile deep. What a beautiful sled! E

27. rudestude

rudestude

Is this the same car ...? This picture is from the 82 Leadsled Spectacular... I noticed a couple of similarities like the original hood emblem , usually shaved , and the louvers....[​IMG]

28. I don't think so. That one has the drip rails shaved.

29. Slopok

Slopok

And appears to have a 51 back glass were the other one has a 50.