Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 MODEL A HOT ROD BUILD - NORTHERN COLORADO

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bfd305, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Bfd305

Bfd305

Figured I'd start a build thread, I have never worked on anything this old and I know I am going to need some help and advise.....
    While talking with a buddy he mentioned his dad has an old Model A that hasn't been touched in over 30 years. After some discussion his dad said he would be willing to sell. In the early 80's he had had an engine rebuilt and the body work done, then it just sat. We worked a dela and I hauled it home with a truck bed full of extra parts.
    It was a Tudor, and I don't love sedans but figured it was a great way to start learning. I checked the fluids, did a quick tune-up and it fired up. We were even able to drive it around the block before the sidewalls blew out on the old weathered tires.....
    I found a set of 16" wheels with tires on Craigslist so it was back to rolling at least. Then I found a couple of bodies in western Colorado, a Sport Coupe and a Business coupe. Both were pretty hammered, but workable. We took a road trip and hauled them back home, I kept the better of the 2 and a friend kept one for a Left-hand drive project he's working on.
    The sedan went back to Kansas with my son who is going to school at McPherson. They did a chop on it and are looking for parts to get it going too.
    We just got it in the garage and started stripping it down. I have a drop spindle for the front. I need to decide on mechanical or juice brakes. Planning to do the Model T spring in the back.
    Here are a few pics. This is a budget home build so any tips and tricks are appreciated

A1.JPG A2.JPG A3.JPG B1.JPG B2.JPG C1.JPG C3.JPG D1.JPG D2.JPG D3.JPG D4.JPG D5.JPG D6.JPG IMG_0060.jpg IMG_8811.JPEG IMG_8813.JPEG .

barrnone50, Stogy, rjones35 and 3 others like this.
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great start.
    Where would we be without a good supply of model's for hot rodding.

3. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Two words. Bloody cool. Love that shed.

4. Bfd305

Bfd305

I had both boys home today so got the body onto the frame. Put the doors in place. Now just need to decide how to go about chopping 3 - 4" off. Cut the doors down to match the rear sill and run it as a Roadster with a fixed windshield.
    D7 (1).JPG D8.JPG D9.JPG

Stogy, Nailhead A-V8, Vanness and 3 others like this.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Hell of a good start. Wish I ever had that complete/straight of a car to start with.

The dirt tracker looks oddly familiar. I used to work for Greeley Harley, wonder if I sold you parts

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I used that 5/4" sawdust infused plastic decking , as rear cockpit combing... sportie - scoop3 015.JPG

7. 410merc

410merc

looks like a fun project!

8. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Following along.

9. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Nice work. I will be watching also.

10. Bfd305

Bfd305

I'm in Greeley too. Need to get together. Are you going to the University School car meet on Sunday 3/25?

11. We should, I'll PM you,
    Just found out about it, thanks. I'll help spread the word.

12. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I have a coupe-ster as well but I think it's unfortunate the soft top coupes are often overlooked in this hobby i've seen some really cool 3 windows with either folding landau style tops or carson style fully removable tops and a plus in colorado you can run A/C!
    If your heart is set on a roadster remember this ain't a roadster!....they are fairly different firstly the coupes have longer doors and shorter rear 1/4's so you gain some getting in and out through the doors space vs stock roadster doors which are quite narrow....the trunk lids are the same but because of the longer 1/4 on a roadster they are positioned differently on the 1/4s also the body bead is round on the roadster and flattish on the coupe, so you can always tell it was a coupe...the first major hiccup is the body belt around the back of the cockpit if you cut the doors off right there it looks weird so as Sloppyjalopies pointed out you need some 1/2 round material around the top of the 1/4s and above trunk panel, #2 the door tops need careful planning they look hideous if left too wide #3 the coupe door post/under windshield panel is full of rectangular holes this is the one pet peeve I have when people use those posts they never cover that up... looks terrible IMO and definitely is the hallmark of a coopster ...I went with 28-9 1/4's, '30-'31 doors and 28-9 roadster door posts you can still tell of course but all the body lines run together pretty smoothly

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

coupester door tops... hammer formed over a wooden buck for a '30 coupe door...
    DSCN2179.JPG DSCN2178.JPG

Jet96, Nailhead A-V8, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. Bfd305

Bfd305

Nailhead - Thanks for the input. I am not set on a roadster, would be just as happy with a metal coupe....but this is what I have to work with. I'm just looking at something to learn out, try to get a little more HP out of, cruise around town and hopefully run at the hill climb. Fabricating a top would be tough to do without forking out some $$$. Your points are spot on. I have held off an cutting the doors until I know what I am going to do with the body in the back. I have been thinking about the width, I could narrow them up beings I wont have side glass, just need to plan it out. I have definitely noticed the squares, might be able to add to the dash cover and cover them up. I appreciate any input, this is all new to me! Thanks

15. Bfd305

Bfd305

are your doors full thickness? How do they look? I'm going to check out the decking idea. Did it flex around, or did you use multiple pieces to fit the curve?

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

yes they are narrowed...
    DSCN2189.JPG DSCN2185.JPG
    3 pcs. ... I let it set in the sun over a deck rail with a car rim on each end... this gave me the vertical shape of the body... I traced the top view from the quarters... cut out templates... cut the decking with a sabersaw... the 1/4"-20 bolts pulled it down tight....
    get the stuff with sawdust added... sanded easily...look underneath before you buy, some have cost saving channels ... you want solid... HIH.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  17. Bfd305

Bfd305

Been a while since I've posted... Making some progress. Signed up as a hobby student at the local community college to dedicate some work time on the body and better my welding skills and such.
    I got the drop axle in the front, swapped the rear out to a posie. Sits a little high in the rear, but we'll see how it looks with some 750-16's on before I cut and Z it.
    Picked up a Winfiels 7-1 Head, a down draft intake and a carb. Planning to try a Supertrapp off a bike for exhaust.
    Picked up a set of juice brakes off a '40, working on that today.
    Trying to get enough finished on the body at school before winter break so I can get it home and seal and spray it, Doors are aligned and cut down, some old holes welded up and hopefully get the windshield chop done.
    Here are a few pics.....just need to stay motivated!!!
    IMG_1645.JPG IMG_2825.JPG IMG_2858.JPG IMG_3197.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3276.JPG IMG_3278.JPG

spurgeonforge, surf10 and slv63 like this.
  18. Jake_shake

Jake_shake

19. Bfd305

Bfd305

Just down the road! nice to run into people that are close.

Jake_shake likes this.