Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2018 Banger Meet - Equinox Time***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. That is my question. I know you can use an AA if you take the end off of a B Pan. Don't have enough pieces available to see if I can use it with an intact B pan.

2. I'm going to go out on a limb here. The BB upper flywheel housing and the B upper flywheel housing are the same. So I would think they use the same oil pan. So the BB hogs head should be worth keeping.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe the tow vehicle was/is. The blindfold concession truck could be. Bob

4. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Truckster,
    That is a CRAGAR head. It has some 'guides' that are a creation(aftermarket?). What is the '8V' head mean ?
    Can you show combustion side of head ?
    IMV, if this casting is NOT cracked/repaired in any way...it's a keeper !

5. Can anyone tell me my best course of action to get a little more speed out of my model a roadster? Has a stock banger with Weber 2bbl. Carb. Not looking to go crazy but want to run a little faster for highway. So what I'm asking is please, someone tell me flat out without braking the bank what should i buy to get a couple more mph? Thanks!

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

high compression head . maybe gearing or overdrive .

52 ford coe likes this.
  7. Head sounds good. I see so many. What would be best in your opinion? Also gearing... That can only be obtained by changing Rear end correct? Stock rear can or can't be changed gear wise? New transmission... What are people using? Thanks for any help

8. walls

walls

Heads available new
    Snyder’s 5:1 and 6:1
    Lion III and IV
    Thomas

Bigger tires and gearing can help, but will make you slower off the line.

Mitchell overdrive can be installed in the torque tube.
    Ford 4 speed and t5 are basically the options for transmissions, I think I’ve read Volvo as well.

Search this stuff, you’ll be reading for a while

52 ford coe likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Mitchell can cost a 1/4 - 1/3 of the cost of your car. Bob

Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Ring and pinions are available. But you will need a little more power to push it. A high comp head is an easy way to help with that. Also keep in mind higher compression and too much advance will wear out Babbitt bearings fast.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Old Dawg and 52 ford coe like this.
  11. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

3.27 ring/pinion.

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if your motor is stock , 6-1 is all I would go . to much will knock the bearings out of it . I have a t-5 but requires open drive shaft & adapter . . there was a guy on here building closed drive shafts for the t-5 but he quit doing them . I'm running 3:27 gears , but stock would not pull them with out help . you have the good carb . 3:55 gears would be a good start . good luck ............. steve

13. Jiminy

Jiminy

Binger and 52 ford coe like this.
  14. Thank you guys for your help! This gives me a direction. There is so much stuff you can do and your comments help.

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

that adapter would be great for your build . appears to be a nice piece ......

jiminy , great help there . thanks

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

GUYS, SPEED ALWAYS COMES AT A COST ... EVERYONE HERE THAT'S BUILT MODIFIED BANGERS WILL TELL YOU THAT. ALL AUTOMOBILES ARE COMPROMISES.

I THINK THAT SOME HERE OVERLOOK A PROBER IGNITION SYSTEM THAT DELIVERS HOT AND CONTROLLED SPARK PLUG TIMING ONLY REDUCES ENGINE LONGEVITY IF THERE IS NO ADJUSTMENT TO THE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL. IF THE THING GOES FASTER IS THERE ANYONE HERE THAT WILL REDUCE THE PRESSURE ON ONE'S RIGHT FOOT?

I AM, AND WILL ALWAYS BE ADDICTED TO
    ADRENALINE AND I PAID HEAVILY FOR THAT ALL MY LIFE. IT WASN'T "CHEAP" IN MONEY, TIME, EX-WIVES OR ANYTHING ELSE.

I GOT MY FIRST CAR OVER 55 YEARS AGO TRADED TWO BOWLING SHIRTS FOR IT. HONEST IT WAS THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING I HAVE EVER GOT!

BREAK THE BANK? D-F-R! o_O

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I have my throttle set where it only opens the primary & not the secondary . runs good that way , saves motor

18. These are the things that help. Not familiar with "a" motors. So now im going to research that.. THANKS guys

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Outback, ROCKER77 and Jiminy like this.
  20. So, if you keep the Babbitt bearings you can, or can not build a higher compression motor??? If I want a 7.1 compression it will destroy the bearings?

21. Truckster17

Truckster17

These are the only other pictures I have right now of the Cragar head, I'll need to see if I saved any other pics of the bottom and the other accessories. By 8V, I meant 8 valve, some other era heads were F design.

Attached Files:

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

ONE MORE TIME :rolleyes:

INCREASED COMPRESSION WILL DEPEND ON TWO THINGS:

THE CONDITION OF YOUR ENGINE
    AND HOW HEAVY YOU FOOT BECOMES WITH THE ADDITION OF A HIGHER COMPRESSION HEAD;)

Outback, 282doorUK and Old Dawg like this.
  23. Got it! thanks

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I'm running a 7-1 lion 3 head . example * compression test stock .. 55# my compression is *126 per cylinder .
    those are why its important to be safe . my motor is all inserts , pressurized oil system , etc

Old Dawg likes this.
  25. Please excuse my ignorance but, what do you mean by "all inserts"? Also, if I run any high compression should a pressurized oil system be added?

26. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Picture of head showing '1561' is interesting...
    Never have seen any number stamped on a Cragar head like that. Do you know any history of where this head was made or came from, i.e.-Los Angeles, Denver ? Maybe combustion side will give clue.

Old Dawg likes this.
  27. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Your engine rods and mains are either poured Babbitt OR machined block and rods for more modern insert(shell)bearings OR combination of these two. Do you know what kind of rod/main bearings your engine has ?
    There are differing opinions about necessity of 'full oil pressure'. In some cases IMV definitely yes, use that system. In other cases , dip/splash, without racing, no.

28. It's a stock motor. So Babbitt. I'm not going to race it. So probably not necessary I see. Thanks

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I was showing what a head can do to compression ................ good luck