Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Production

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colesy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jim, I guess for the sake of period correctness I should have said "rosin""instead of VHT.
    Anyone questioning what these cars were capable of should stop watching all those turbo'd late model Mustang and Camaros and get real.
    Not great on linking videos, so I'll try this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=60s...lfnZAhXM5IMKHeIlCMgQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=752

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Link worked fine for me and it brings back great memories. There was a reason that spectators and racers alike took to the fences to see the modified eliminator runoffs. The sounds of the high winding engines was a sound I will never forget. When the gassers started to fade a bit in the late 60s the MP cars captured my main interest for sure.

I still follow the NHRA to an extent but it is a different animal today-sadly.

3. mopacltd

mopacltd

I ran A/SM in my '70 Hemi Cuda in the late '70's along with a G/G '72 Vega. Lots of fun and a hell of a lot of competition from some great racers.

loudbang likes this.
  4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, not to be a simple arbitrary cutoff year, but let's say 1973 and older. That was the last year before most cars got those hateful bumpers that looked like a picnic table. Was also the start of "low lead" gas vs no lead, fully 2 years before catalytic converters. As said before, no wraps, paint or decals only, and no vinyl lettering except for sponsor stuff ("Lou's Family Rod Shop"). They might change now and then to different sponsors so make allowances. Wheels of the time, carburetors only, N/A only, no "power adders", Trans brake ok, no delay box, safety equipment per ET/MPH, classes by wt/CID. No trucks, no roadsters, no full tube frame cars. Back half/tubs ok, stock front suspension configuration, after market parts ok (race shocks, control arms, no rack and pinion conversions). That's a rough draft off the top of my head. I can see it now, tunnel ram 331 CID with insane compression and big roller cam buzzin 8200 in the eyes, all wrapped up in a 65 Vette coupe. Maybe a full boogie 427 stuffed into a 64 Chevelle. How about a stroked FE (428 crank in a 427) shoehorned into a Falcon? Out of respect for the board I didn't mention the veritable plethora of cars outside our focus, but we know they'd be there. I guess I just wonder how many are sitting on blocks in garages waiting for a "date". Clearly I wasn't really technical with this, there's others better at it so I'd leave it to them. This may also be a "racer's show" as in the participants would be way more into it than spectators. I'd be ok with that too but as a round within other nostalgia events as well it would catch on. Damn, this is exciting, just the idea that it might work.

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Highlander sounds good to me. Some people seem to hate the snorkel scoops and unusually large dog houses. My avatar car ran MP in its last racing days in New Mexico (mid 70s) and when I got it (in sad shape) the hood had a hole in it that was probably 18" by 30" although the hood scoop or dog house was long gone. I still think people if they want "period" correct to let's say up to 1973 would have to get real on what is or was period correct. The rest of your "rules" sound good to me although I am sure others would have their .02 cents as well.

As to this being a racer's show I believe spectators appreciate close racing and I think they would really support period MP cars as much as many of the "gassers" putting on good shows today. I have run at the Meltdown for the last 5 years and really consider myself a spectator that gets to make a few passes with my car when I am not really enjoying the show being put on by period correct mid 60s racers. I try to watch as much racing as I can as I want to relive the sights that I have kept in my mind's eye since the 60s. Running the car is simply a bonus. I am registered for the Pie Crust event and the Meltdown for this coming June and July and cannot wait to be a spectator all over again (and make a few passes-I hope).

That being said some rules would have to be set in place or guys would probably "go astray" from reality.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Tickety Boo, enloe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Might want to start a social forum just for dicussing this so this thread does not get shut down.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks junior stock, but as a simple aside to a running topic I believe the mods are ok with it. Modified Production was a really big deal, and we all know how it went over the years. Also, as your name indicates, another great class of racing, Junior Stock, I'd love to see it as a part of an M/P show too. I dont want to the thread deleted either but we gotta start somewhere, and where better than a topic dedicated to these classes?

Again, I'd go out on a limb and say as a unique event/class return even our beloved HAMB would support and cover it. It'd be nothing like a muscle car Nationals, more like real racing. Lest we forget, Ryan ran a *$&#*@ in his youth. ;) Still, thanks again for the concern, I'll tone it down a bit if we think were pressing it.

31hotrodguy, loudbang and jimdillon like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

What did he run??... Time to spill the beans boss...o_O:D

9. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

One of those Bowtie pony cars. Haha

Highlander, the pictures are what would most likely get the flack here. They do frown on the Super Tricks and later scoops.

loudbang likes this.
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

I edited the post so the super tricks and scoop are only a memory

loudbang likes this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like if a group of guys and gals should show up at a track and did some racing. Then before you know it there will be a NMP association. ;)

slowmotion, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

That's no big deal.... I had a bunch of early F-bodies myself....:)
    Got enough info on those cars to write a book....;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

14. theamcguy

theamcguy

The MP class was always a favorite to watch at the strip.

15. loudbang

loudbang

Austin Speed Shop

and mp.JPG

16. loudbang

loudbang

Rafferty & Young

1b add name.JPG

again

1a.JPG

17. loudbang

loudbang

Ray & Bob Zang

ray & Bob Zang.JPG

Super Pumpkin

super pumpkin.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, Elcohaulic and 5 others like this.
  18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Billy Casey RIP a Dover favorite owned the "Super Pumpkin" the car now resides in England. Read all about it and Billy on the Dover site.

Pat

19. I loved watching the 4 speed cars a few years ago at the Detroit Dragway Reunion. Lots of nice old Fords, GM products, making some passes. I loved taking my 4 speed to the track..always such a rush..some great videos of Grumpy smashing gears on YouTube

20. loudbang

loudbang

Bo Law 57 vs Bussart & Cochrane 55

bo law vs....JPG

Same 55 Dave Cochrane & Bill Bussart
    Dave Cochrane  Bill Bussart and trophy.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, brut4s and 6 others like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Ol Yeller

ol yeller.JPG

Ray's Esso

ray's esso.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, brut4s and 7 others like this.
  22. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

loudbang likes this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

don't know the name but it is in several of the Bo Laws photos

loner2, 1947knuck and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  24. mopacltd

mopacltd

Any pictures of the west coast Modified Production stuff?

25. loudbang

loudbang

This is a BEAUTY and I'm a Ford fan

Terry Lynn Walter's Chevytown

terry lynn walter's chevytown BEAUTY.JPG

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I agree LB beautiful car.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and hendelec like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

loner2, 1947knuck, enloe and 2 others like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

29. loudbang

loudbang

30. loudbang

loudbang