Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cowl Steering . . . just stop !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete Eastwood, Mar 18, 2018.

1. rgdavid

rgdavid

What a great thread,
    Im learning loads and questioning what i knew,
    Please dont let this go,
    Thanks Pete and others,

zzford likes this.
  2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pwood: thank you for your insight. I have never been inclined to use cowl steering, but having a little knowledge of it ; is good. Hope you will approach and define more suspension issues, going forward.

3. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

4. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I mean in reality every traditionally built car basically has very unsafe Tendencies be it Bias Ply tires, Straight Axle front suspension, long un-tethered steering arms, no seat belts, no Roof, wooden floor's, no bumpers, no fenders, drum brakes, 80 year old parts. These things are really all a death trap on wheels, they were never intended to drive cross country at 80+mph continuous speeds. I don't care if your the best builder in the world, your starting with a very dangerous base and rule/ guidelines that don't help this.

But I think that this is the main reason So many of us love this old junk, it's unsafe, cool looking, and a bit sketchy. But just feels so right, even if it's so wrong. I appreciate everyone's input, not arguing one way or the other, I love cowl steering looks, but love that the Vega box setup is Soo cheap and easy to do as well. I'm torn with my build now. But appreciate the challenge.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Vonn Ditch's 3d animation came from here I assume (see link below) so your approval and Pete's may be absolutely warranted and I'd like to know as this may very well make what was being discussed easier to understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_steer

mad mikey likes this.
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That animation also can give insight as to why splitting wishbones is not an optimal idea, since it will induce a twisty torque into the axle between the bat wings. Four-links are a better choice to eliminate this problem and bump steer alike, as is an "I" beam axle instead of a tubular one. Sorry for veering O/T - journalistic bump steer got to me.

ratrodrodder, stik70, zzford and 2 others like this.
  8. It's a great animation.
    Over exaggerated to clearly show the issues.
    What's missing is the split bones or hairpins (and the torsion bar/anti roll effects of them)
    Much less suspension travel more similar to a buggy sprig hot rod and not a high articulated rock crawler

Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  9. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I was always under the impression if your drag link and wishbone were parallel that that would work fine . Thanks for 'spaining it to this old guy.

10. Andy

Andy

I think I saw a car with fake cowl steering. It was a standard cross steer set up with a useless link to a fake pitman arm in the cowl.

Doctorterry, Hnstray and Blues4U like this.
  11. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Last night stuff here got a little ridiculous,
    but I see this morning it got deleted.
    Just the same . . . . I'm done

willysguy, loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  12. 34Phil

34Phil

Jeeps to '66 did both. Traditional steering ran to a bell crank that gave side steering. Parallel leaves would change wheelbase so this eliminated suspension bump steer. Only problem was they mounted bellcrank to axle which rotated under acceleration and braking causing bumpsteer. [​IMG]

ls1yj likes this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

All the same, thanks for starting this thread and taking the time to share the information. Most of us appreciate it very much. I love that this board has folks such as yourself willing to share their knowledge and experience. Please don't let the bad form of some keep you from sharing more, that would be a shame.

Montana1, RMR&C, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy

Pete, Thank you for this thread.
    It is wonderful to have you explain the problem.

15. That's too bad a few ruin it for the many.
    I missed most of ridiculous and glad I did.
    Thanks for sharing Pete.

Hnstray, j hansen and loudbang like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

You tried educating some people but some don't want to learn. You did what you could.

Montana1, RMR&C, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  17. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks Pete, some of us on here recognize your contribution to the sport/hobby and realize you know what you're talking about.

18. Mr. Eastwood, thank you for the lesson,info, and your time. Some of us really do appreciate it, and I am one of those people. Thank you Sir.

Montana1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Pete I'v never given an Aplus to a professor before, but you deserve one today! Thanks for the lesson............

Montana1, pprather and loudbang like this.
  20. 48stude

48stude

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO ! I knew who P-Wood was from the get go and his contributions that have had a positive affect on the hobby. I appreciate him taking the time to try to guide us uneducated types. Thank You Pete!

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Pete, it was educational while it lasted. Maybe it was best I couldn't find a photo of Jimmy Frankland's Stagger Valve Fronty, one of the first Pre WWII forur bar cars. Bob

Carter, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  22. ls1yj and Hnstray like this.
  23. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

This is the best response so far. That's why I call this forum "the forum of miss-information", because when someone is willing to help, the "know it all's" don't listen.

24. Thanks for the Geometry lesson Pwood! I learned a lot.

loudbang likes this.
  25. walls

walls

The internet has a way of speeding up the nature of people to the pathological.
    Burning witches is nothing new.

I like learning things, thanks for the effort.

mad mikey, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  26. Well I guess we're left with those informative threads like "Show us your bumper bolts" or "What color should I paint my sun visor?".
    At least you tried Pete, thanks for that.

Mick

brEad, Rafae Block, cretin and 12 others like this.
  27. Pete E,
    Thank you for the educational lesson. I don't understand all of it yet.But I will go back over it again until I do.

MercDeuceMan and loudbang like this.
  28. 270bob

270bob

Cowl Steering ... Just Stop! Thanks again Pete, maybe you can do some other topics of interest? i.e. Suicide front end ... Just Stop! or Overly chopped cars ... Just Stop!

29. 40ford

40ford
    from Duluth, GA

Sounds like my surveying professor in college. When we came in dead on it with a survey he would say "you're not that good, compensating errors. - 5 points."

30. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry for the poor video quality, but I believe this is the point @Pete Eastwood was trying to make. The part in blue is the radius rod, connected to an axle, connected to the round spindle back. I've roughly scaled it from a black roadster shown in this thread. The drag link appears to attach to a raised steering arm. The total movement is 2.5" up and 2.5" down. There is a noticeable movement in the pitman arm.

Unless the point where the drag link attaches to the pitman arm is directly over the point where the radius rod attaches to the frame, there will be some degree of bump steer. The amount of bump steer is dependant upon the specific geometry of the components in a given car. It's not a matter of either 100% bump steer or 0% bump steer. There will be some. It's a sliding scale of severity according to the individual component placement away from the ideal.

Other factors in the suspension can mask the issue, but only those attachment points will change the geometry.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018