Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. cjshh

cjshh

A few more from the 67' INDY Nationals......

On the way to the track one morning we stopped for Breakfast... Just noticed the place was called "Burger King" .... Really?? Anyway, Jenkins was there having Breakfast as well.

1967-031.jpg

Ok, now back to the purpose of this thread :)

A couple of cars from Division 1 NED...

1967-032.jpg

1967-043.jpg

1967-044.jpg

1967INDYNationals-029crop.jpg

Funny... haven't looked at some of these pictures for years but all of a sudden it seems like yesterday.... Hope they bring back some good memories to others as well. Too bad I wasn't a better photographer back then :)

(Actually the picture in my avatar was scanned from a Polaroid.... yikes :) )

1947knuck, Pete L., egads and 19 others like this.
  2. thehazguy

thehazguy

Great [pictures. Share more

3. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

In-Bomber was restored a few years ago by a member on here.
    ebay-find-bomber-1968-nhra-us-nationals-winning-57-chevy.jpg

4. Cjshh - Kodachrome pics have a quality second to none.
    Da Grump's tow wagon adorned with Hurst wheels. Professional for sure.

5. cjshh

cjshh

Agree on the Kodachrome and I'm thinkin' he didn't pay Retail for the wheels :) :)

Bowtie Coupe, Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  6. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

back in that time frame, the Hurst factory was kinda not that far down or up the road from Jenkin's shop. . Hurst factory was located in Warminster Pa

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

Drag Race have you ever gone into any detail on your brother's Vette that I could reference. I try to keep files on the early Vettes that ran and although I have a number of pictures of your brother's car I have nothing in the way of stats or races or highlights. I would bet that I am not the only person that would be interested in any history you could relate.

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

As would I :)

9. cjshh

cjshh

A few more from INDY1967....
    Wayne Jesel....
    1967-047.jpg

Gunning & McMaster

1967-046.jpg
    More NED fave's.....
    1967NationalsINDY-035.jpg

1967-039crop.jpg

1967NationalsINDY-028crop.jpg

Honest... if they would just rerun this event I could get better pictures. I'm actually "almost" a decent photographer these days ... :)

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Is the 59 in your avatar "Yellow Fever"?

Pat

Bowtie Coupe, cjshh and loudbang like this.
  11. biscaynes

biscaynes

Weren't those 2 different '57 wagons? CHEROKEE and CHEROKAWA

12. cjshh

cjshh

Nope.. that was mine. Raced it for most of 68' and 69' Then had to choose between the car and marriage... almost 49 years later and miss the experience but happy with my choice :)

59Chev-03.jpg

A slightly earlier picture from Westhampton... Wayne (Jr) Hopkins 56 is the car in the background with the trunk open.

1968 - 1959 NHRA - P-S - Race Car - 01.jpg

13. cjshh

cjshh

They absolutely were... I am by no means an authority but I raced with Jim & Ed in 1968.. As I said I went with Ed to Tulsa. Don't recall why he took his brothers car but my guess is that it was the better (faster, more consistent... I dunno) of the two. Hey, I'm old... sometimes I forget what I had for breakfast :)

14. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

I would have been better off if I had kept racing my SS/IA 68 Camaro. Been divorced for 30 years and I'm much better off today.

loudbang, 62hotcat and cjshh like this.
  15. thehazguy

thehazguy

16. Never really been a Camaro guy and not Hamb approved...but might be thread approved

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Pioneer I

pioneer I.JPG

R E Fennels photo by George Cureton

r e fennells  photographer a.JPG

again

r e fennells  photographer.JPG

Stokes & Ferrara

Stokes & Ferrara.JPG

Massey's Sunoco

massey's sunoco.JPG

18. This may seem like a silly question but...... we're there any Fords in Jr Stock?? They must be all in the winners circle getting trophies presented while all these Chevys are doing some test laps, because that is all that is pictured here

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Finn Jensen and Gammz like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Great question. The answer that I have found is they are few and far between. I have looked high and low for them. But in addition the site I have been finding all these is for Chevies. But rest assured I proudly post any Fords I find.

20. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Except that is a Modified Production and this is a thread on Junior Stock.

21. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

If you dig back through the available lists of NHRA records you will recognize an era during which the '57 supercharged 312 was especially competitive. There were a number of those cars running across the country. Parham and Payne were from Oklahoma. Larry Walker, Bill Nelson, and the recently deceased Marcel D'avignon campaigned in Divison 7. Also, the FE 427 and 428 in various iterations have also enjoyed substantial success through the years. The problem seems to be that the big block entries were pretty much concentrated in a few top classes of S/S, A/S, B/S, C/S from about 1963 following the advent of the high-rise cylinder heads and induction systems. The 428 Cobra Jet motors have also been successful but most of the glory for those cars came after the cut-off date for H.A.M.B. guidelines. Unfortunately, the blown 312 passed from the scene fairly quickly. The small block Chevy has tended to dominate a greater number of the smaller cubic inch, lower horsepower classes by out-performing the FE 352 and the 289. The Fords were there but the successes have been somewhat inundated by the more numerous bow ties.

22. Thank you for the response!

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  23. cjshh

cjshh

I just happened to come across this one from the 68' World Finals in Tulsa... Bill Murdock Ford... I have no clue as to engine or class but it got to Tulsa.... Not too Shabby!!!

1968Tulsa-097.jpg

Sorry for the "slim pickin's"...

George

24. If there’s a modified production thread I’ll throw it up there...aren’t the 2 classes pretty close...I could throw up some I or H gas class cars from back then and really get silly. Great thread none the less

loudbang likes this.
  25. In answer to your question (?), No, they're not. About the only similarity would be with the rear tires. MP was pounds per cubic inch, where Stock is advertised horsepower, divided into factory shipping weight.
    MP engine rules were pretty much wide open, except they had to be carbureted.
    Stock meant all stock specs, right down to some of the 300-400 CFM single carbs on stock , cast manifolds.
    Many more differences also. Hope that helps.

26. LOL . Don't even need a clue here. The only Y-block that was competitive nationally was the 57 300 hp 312 with the McCullough supercharger.
    The FE powered cars were players, but tended to be more in the Top Stock type categories.

Bowtie Coupe and fiveoh108 like this.
  27. cjshh

cjshh

FordRecordHolderMay1968.JPG

Not "exactly" what you'd call a "JUNIOR" Jr Stocker and also a Comet but I happened to be looking through a 1968 National Dragster and this was posted on the National Record page... Held the A/SA Record at 12.16 and 115.08 mph (Set in Columbus OH)

George

WerbyFord, loudbang and fiveoh108 like this.
  28. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes there is a Modified Production thread and a 6 cylinder one as well for those I and H gassers

Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Yes for sure there are WAY MORE Fords in the upper classes like the lightweight 62-64 full sized ones and the Cobrajets held many records and the 427 fairlaines and comets, and who can forget the Thunderbolts, even a couple 289 Hypos made the cut. BUT they all are too new for HAMB or not Junior Stockers.

They do however have their own threads to spread their goodness. :)

1947knuck, 31hotrodguy and enloe like this.
  30. It seems more nailhead Buicks were competitive than were Y-blocks;)

upload_2018-3-23_8-41-27.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018