Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear parallel leafs on a Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curtiswyant, Mar 26, 2007.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice work on your project and thanks for sharing the link to the Uni-ball that is a great idea and well priced.

2. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

doesn't anybody remember the Shay built A roadsters, they had the pinto rear springs. they also had a spare tire rack or steamer trunk to hide the shackles. my friend had one and i drove it. it rode very nice on ghetto roads, (pot holes, cracks etc) where i was driving. the pinto springs are shorter from the center bolt to the shackles.

3. anteek

anteek

I am building a "A" PICKUP and z'd the frame and extended it the full length of the bed for a trailer hitch . Used 2x4 tubing for the extension and '53 Chevy pickup front springs and brackets. The Chevy springs are short and easy to find. Simple and Hamb friendly. This truck will be used to deliver and the unsupported bed length was also eliminated.

4. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

That photo pretty much visually shows why to not use parallel leafs.

[​IMG]

The uncluttered simple look of Henry's unsupported bed at the rear is one of the major visual cues that makes these look "right". Less is more:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It sure ain't for everybody but it is do-able, was also trying to hide the Reece hitch.

6. anteek

anteek

"Looking right" is why the beds are generally shortened. I want to use mine to enjoy it,not perpetuate one of Henry's shortcomings. The unsupported bed was one of Henry's mistakes on the "a".

7. kingpins

kingpins

looks like that leaf spring set up in the pics coulda been pulled off and have a clean looking rear with out that hitch and silly roll pan to cover the hitch cause it look like the shackles are not hanging oddly low. and maybe the stock model A bumper will help cover the leafs if he was going with a traditional looking approach and not a street rod.

8. gastruk

gastruk
    from minnesota

Has anyone used trailer springs theyre only 25in 3 leafs and very cheap ?
    Trailer sales have them laying all over.
    Northern Hydraulics $22.00.
    They come in different spring rates.
    With all the brackets and Ubolts

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Model A pickups did not have a rear bumper.
    The pic was posted to show that a rear parallel set of leaf springs could be installed.
    Nobody else has come up with a better pic.
    The vehicle posted is what it is.
    The towing hitch is not going to be removed or roll pan for the benefit of this thread.
    I respect the individualism of hot rodding as long as it is done with good quality worksmanship.

trollst likes this.
  10. kingpins

kingpins

here is a set up i finished up this past weekend.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  11. kingpins

kingpins

Well its been many years now since i posted the build pics from the rear parallel leaf spring model A pickup. The update is im still driving it every day with absolutely no problems with the leafs. This upgrade to a model A rear is amazing! 20170717_183325.jpg 20170717_181610.jpg

Blues4U and RMR&C like this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very light car...esp in the rear.
    Light enough springs to provide a nice ride?
    No provisions to eliminate spring wrap-up?
    Factory mono-leaf rear parallel springs without traction bars and such had a BAD case of wheel hop.
    No wheel hop during hard acceleration?

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Headlights and visor look wrong plus pickups did not have rear bumpers...
    Looks cluttered like mine at the back.

14. kingpins

kingpins

I think you were judging it by the mock up pictures. More leafs were added. No wheel hop, not any spring wrap, nothing. been driving it hard with its fuel injected motor ever since .

15. kingpins

kingpins

your hate and bad aesthetic eye inspired that build. Thank you . Best decision i ever made.

trollst likes this.
  16. kingpins, your truck looks great! I'll bet it rides and handles nice to....Carry on.

17. aaggie

aaggie

Light car like a Model A you could use quarter eliptic with a Panhard bar. You wouldn't need to extend the chassis for rear shackles. Very easy to fabricate.

18. kingpins

kingpins

Thanks buddy i appreciate that. It rides so damn good it's ridiculous! I'm super happy with how it turned out and the performance of it.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks kingpins, for your reply. No judging here, just genuinely curious for future reference. The wheel hop I was referring to is a memory of some late 60s GM cars with mono leaf rear suspensions. Without traction bars, they would hop like crazy. The worst I ever experienced was in high school. Dumped the clutch, driving my buddy's 68 GTO 400 4spd. OMG... bam bam bam bam bam! I thought I broke his car.
    I like your truck a lot.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. kingpins

kingpins

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Darn good-lookin truck. I really like the look and functionality of the bumper. (I'm the type that would push/pull with that bumper)

22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Like wise with my build buddy and possibly think about sticking to the thread subject instead of shit canning others just because they don't meet your expectations...

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya...