Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Windshield wiper upgrade

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PeggySue, Mar 17, 2018.

1. PeggySue

PeggySue

Car came with separate 12v wiper motors, original wiper system was took out. Looking at up grading the wipers system. Wondering which would be better find original transmissions and arms and install with new 12 volt motor or go with kit like Specialty Power Windows wiper kit with the cable feed line from the motor?

2. BJR

BJR

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. Old school would be to find the original wiper transmission and adapt an electric motor from a junk yard to it. That's what I would do, but I don't have the cash to buy a new wiper kit. Either way should get you a good wiper system.

3. PeggySue

PeggySue

With not have any original in the car now it would be a wash for price that I found. Have to buy original transmissions ,arms ,etc, I found some for $125.00 plus $209..00 for 12 volt motor or Specialty power kit or others comparable I have seen for $275.00

4. alchemy

alchemy

You don't tell us what kind of car you have, but I have used Newport wipers in the past and they worked well. Check and see if they have a kit for your car.

olscrounger and Hnstray like this.

5. I like Specialty Power stuff. I have both window and wiper components in my Avitar. Been there for 15 years. Have them in 2 of my other personal cars. I've installed both types in at least 10 other Customer cars and as of this date not one single issue. They are very user friendly and good people to deal with.
    The Wizzard

belair and KustomKreeps like this.
  6. PeggySue

PeggySue

Sorry I guess I assumed it was in my signature picture, 1950 Chevrolet styleline

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just put one of their units in a 1940 Ford pickup, nice unit, really liked the drill fixture. Not to worry the wire guy is doing the electrical end of things. Bob

8. PeggySue

PeggySue

My dash area is pretty much open underneath, Haven't seen any install instructions yet for the Specialty Power kit but wondering how vestibule( cable bends etc) the options on where the motor can be mounted?

9. I have mounted the Drive motor on both the Left and Right sides in cars and often behind the kick panel if there's room. The universal kit is very adaptable to say the least. If I remember right I think they say at least a 6" radi if your going 90 degrees or more. I have a kit on hand right now for a project in house and could go check if you like. I mounted the motor above the glove box in a 50 Olds once and have installed them in several 35-39 Fords overhead with the motor in the Kick panel below the dash so pretty tight quarters. I often use factory bezels outside so they look stock as my 51 does.
    The Wizzard

10. PeggySue

PeggySue

OK thanks found the instructions online, 3" radius if doing a 90 degrees bend, should have room, going to do some sizing up, thanks again to all!

11. 'Mo

'Mo

(Saved.)
    Please let us no how it all works out.

12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I have a '51-'52 pick up cowltop, has everything bolted to it, vac. motor, towers, linkage, 1 arm...
    it is cut out so you can see everything easily... TOP
    DSCN2736 (1).JPG
    UNDERSIDE... DSCN2739 (1).JPG DSCN2738 (1).JPG

13. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

14. donno

donno

Newport, no fuss, no muss. Price is right.

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would go with Newport too. Good service and price too

16. if the ones u have work why bother. You're not gonna drive 'er in the rain.

17. roger didonato

roger didonato

I drive both of mine in the rain sometimes you get caught & you have no choice They 78 & 80yrs old .Rain aint melted them yet! Just bein a wise guy.we need some humor once in awhile in this hobby. Roger

18. Kulturepimp

Kulturepimp

I too am a firm believer in Newport. But has anyone had any look with wiper arms and blades. Semi modern but still able to look the part? For a real driver with wind and such the old arms still suck even after having 40 hrs in spring tension etc. thank you for your input..

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

As previously posted New Port Engineering is the way to go. No antiquated old wiper transmissions.