Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs First pics of the golden Sahara in decades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

It apparently was just that no one knew how to pronounce Skzonkes. Street was just easier for those public appearances.

loudbang, HEMI32, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Or spell it (Skonzakes) :D

3. I show this cartoon to my students, it gets a very good conversation started on where cars may be going and how some of the crazy ideas of the past are used today.
    I have never seen the GS video that was posted here by Dooley, and didn't know how innovative it was.
    this will be another cool conversation starter when I show it to them

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, that too!!! :)

loudbang and HEMI32 like this.
  5. Mattimus

Mattimus

I'm going to go out on a limb and gamble that Beau Boeckmann (of Galpin fame) may end up with it. He seems to appreciate the wild ones.

6. NoSurf

NoSurf

I just hope it makes it to the KKOA show in Salina Kansas.....

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

anybody recognize the people in the picture I posted on page 4 post # 108? Looks like the cabover was painted in similar colors behind it.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. Jim is the guy in the middle of the picture pointing at the car. The cabover was the transport vehicle for the Sahara painted at Watson's where that picture was taken.
    CCC-larry-watson-GS-truck-10-W.jpg

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

thanks K13, after seeing the full picture of the cabover you posted, I do remember it now.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  10. fuzzface

fuzzface

is the GS the only one getting auctioned off at Indy? I see no mention of the t or his other ones in the auction listings.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

Personally, I think it's time for the "Golden Sahara III"!

(Much thanks to themoose for the Photoshopping. ;) )
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  12. egads

egads

:eek::eek::eek: Somebody need's therapy! :eek::eek::eek:

13. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To quote our old buddy 3 window Larry...

Ryan...'Mo is off his meds again!

14. 'Mo

'Mo

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are Kookie...:D...at least you used period parts...it looks ready to race the Munster Mobile now and The Kookie has now been stripped of the things most wanted removed....

catdad49, loudbang, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  16. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I WANT THAT T BUCKET - I'M GOING TO BUY IT!!

17. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Sorry too say it’s only going too get 150-200k tops Kustoms don’t brings big money when its muscles and European car crowds

Sent from my iPad

18. Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

Back in the early '80s when I was 13 or 14 a friend of mine let me tag along when he went to Jims house to feed Clyde, Jims pet chimpanzee. Clyde was a bit unpredictable. "Don't get too close to the cage!" The Sahara and the Kookie car were parked next to each other in the attached garage just beyond Clydes special room.
    The Sahara was already pretty deteriorated, but I think it still was sitting on the clear tires.
    The living room of the house was a circular room (if my memory serves me) with 6" shag carpet with a chromed out custom bike parked right in the middle.
    Even at my young age, I knew what the Kookie Car was. I was blown away by the whole experience. A monkey, the cars, the bike...pretty wacky!
    I never had the chance to meet Jim, but I understand he was larger than life. He had a large collection of military weapons and wooden boats.
    I had a possible "in" a couple years back that (long shot) might have led to a story. I reached out to RJ but was totally blown off. Shame, would have been interesting.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the cars again, but will kinda miss knowing that a cool hidden treasure was sitting a couple miles up the street.

19. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

Only after Street’s death in December of last year did the wraps come off the Golden Sahara in anticipation of its no-reserve appearance at Mecum’s Indianapolis auction in May. While Mecum has yet to list the other cars in Street’s collection, the auction will reportedly include them too, including the Norm Grabowski-built Kookie T, much modified from its original iconic version.

Mecum has not released a pre-auction estimate for the Golden Sahara, citing its “unlimited potential.” The Mecum Indianapolis auction will take place May 15 to 19. For more information, visit Mecum.com.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/...aks-cover-after-decades-in-hiding/?refer=news

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This makes a lot of sense to me and very well could be. It explains the professional looking video and marketing on their site. I wonder about them listing it no reserve. But I guess it could be “bid in” if it didn’t go high enough.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Erwin

Erwin

Different strokes... It'll be interesting to see what happens with the the T, it looks pretty well preserved in that photo. Of significant, funky show rods from that time, Jim Street's would make the top part of the list. I wonder how successful it would be now, marketed as a model kit containing both versions.

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

There's a lot of money out there if you're not one of us average guys. It could easily top 1 mil.
    It has provenance, mystery , and a continuous faultless timeline. There's only one.

loudbang likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The auction schedule I looked at said Jim Street collection but when I clicked on it on the GS showed up. I have not looked at the daily car list to see if the Tee is listed..

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

the mecum site said the t was going to be part of it as well. just no pics yet

loudbang likes this.
  25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

If I bought it.....I would rename it the Golden Shower...... hahahah..

26. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Gee whiz Jeff, reallý?

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hotrods and the GS coming to a theater near you...:p

Perhaps that would be the secret to bringing back the pearly finish...:confused::D

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty rare footage captured forever on film
    of GS...:confused:...I mean Golden Sahara
    is from;
    just start and slide over to...

1:04:44min to 1:05:31min

One bit of irony I 'm not sure was intended was Lewis with the Fish in the car...anybody know if this was a poke at the paint so to speak...?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    catdad49, raymay, Dooley and 2 others like this.
  29. waylow64bird

waylow64bird
    from Buffalo MN

That’s awesome

Make it into a gaser Golden Sahara IV

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

'Mo, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus