Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Color Code for 35 Duesenberg Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Hey all, I'm working on pinning down a color code for the truck I'm slapping together, and hit on Clark Gable's custom '35 Duesenberg. I really like the color, but can't find the paint code anywhere... Anyone have any leads/tips/thoughts on what it might cross to?

Thanks,
    Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stanlow69 and Stogy like this.
  2. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Coach built body = custom paint. Good luck

3. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Yeah, tell me about it... :(

4. That car is breath-taking. Good luck with the color.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

...Reworked by Bohman & Schwartz in Pasadena, CA and repainted in luminous cream.
    In 1942, Lombard was killed in a plane crash near Las Vegas. Gable, devastated, instructed an agent to sell the Duesenberg. Gable died in 1960.
    It is undeniably rare; fewer than a dozen JNs were built – only four of which were convertibles.
    The Duesenberg became a vagabond, crisscrossing the country, changing hands about a dozen times. It was repainted at least four different colors. Its engine was replaced in the 1950s.
    But the current owner, Mr. Gooding said, acquired it in 2006 and ordered a restoration to the Gable era.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/automobiles/collectibles/gable-lombard-and-a-35-duesenberg.html
    https://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/...bles-notorious-1935-duesenberg-directors-cut/

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen the car a couple times in person. PPG has a color in their custom stuff called "Vanilla Shake". Take a look at that, I think you'd like it and get what you want. There's no "paint code" per se on these things. Without having a period color book or some early number charts it's all "by eye" and experience. I've been around these big cars for over 40 years. Not a single one had a paint code on it, though there may be a 1 in 100,000 chance at legit paper work to see. FWIW, Cadillacs can be traced back to how they were ordered/sold back into the 20s, Lincoln Continentals can be researched through "The Henry Ford" museum in Dearborn. There's a list of Duesenbergs including a generic description of color, as in "black" or "cream", but no codes. Good luck...

lothiandon1940, i.rant and Stogy like this.
  7. 1time

1time
    from minnesota

I agree with theHIGHLANDER when I saw that picture I thought of the vanilla shake color, I used it on the roof of this 65 a couple years ago, PPG # 90990

Attached Files:

mcsfabrication and Boryca like this.
  8. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Thanks Highlander, that helps quite a bit. I know it's tough trying to match, I just need something better than "yeah, it's kinda cream colored..." when I walk into the paint store. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Contact Randy Ema, he knows all things Duesenberg. Chances are he may have been consulted in the restoration of the car.

lothiandon1940 and Special Ed like this.
  10. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Whatever the color is, it should have a name like "Lombard's silk panties".

Frankie47, lothiandon1940 and Boryca like this.
  11. Check out Packard Cream or Packard Ivory from '37-'38. I sometimes see the cream called Cigarette Cream.

12. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Hmm... yeah, that is pretty close. Thanks!

13. alchemy

alchemy

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cigarette Cream looks really yellow compared to that Duesy. Just sayin...

15. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

That's my impression too. After looking into this a bit I've realized there's a huge variance in "cream" colors.

16. If you ever determine a close approximation of the color, I at least have a suggestion for a name...........................French Vanilla Ice Cream.:D

i.rant and Boryca like this.
  17. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Take it to Home Depot, they can match it for you. But seriously, that is on beautiful color. Good luck.

Boryca likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I first saw this color in the early 90's I think, man I was IN LOVE with it, really makes for a great two-tone complement color.

19. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

How about Plymouth's Charlotte Ivory?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [Or Chrysler's cool vanilla 2007 300]
    not going to post that picture...lol.

20. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Glad to see I'm not alone in liking this color! Though I have a feeling that if I was, I'd still use it :)

@Frankie47, I think that's a bit yellower than what I'm shooting for, but thanks for the pics! I like seeing how different creams are used with other colors, bodies, etc.

21. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Here is the cool vanilla from a 2007 chrysler 300.

Attached Files:

22. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Packard Ivory was one of the popular and standard colors back in the day. It was also a pinstripe color used by many of the auto manufacturers in the 20s & 30s. It is not as yellow as Cigarette Cream.

Boryca likes this.
  23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go figure, I actually have a PPG Vibrance color deck. For you and anyone else wanting to see "Vanilla Shake":
    006.jpg
    That's in as good a daylight pic as I can get. The following 2 are in "shop light" conditions, but I also took it on white paper and yellow to be able to cipher the shade or tone. Also with it is a color called "Custard" which is pretty brown when held in contrast. Hope this helps, enjoy...
    009.jpg
    010.jpg

Of interest to some, look at what background or contrast does to the same color in the same conditions. All are the same within minutes of each other. Eyes are amazing, yes?

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Watching with great interest. Here`s a pic from a calendar I have. Scan0635.jpg

25. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit