Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Packard Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

This one's going to be a long one just warning all. With one car infront of it. Might take 3 or maybe more years. But who cares, we got to start somewhere. I'l be directing all my questions to this thread regarding the Packard. The direction of this car is still unknown but we will get thier together.
    Story on this car is I got it for a 350$ song. I couldn't pass on it. Had to dig it out with a crowbar and my hands because it had no front or back driver side rims, slapped some tires on it ( that day I learned not all 5 bolts will line up and that Packard had a pin that only accepts Packard rims so I gave them the hammer, for all you young guys always roll with a big hammer) and towed her out. Cars at my mom's house as I'm in the process of getting my own home.
    1955 Packard Clipper Custom Constellation. 352 v8, twin ultramatic. Hardtop. 20171014_151126.jpg 20171014_162035.jpg
    When I got her home.
    20171029_170309_1509417127111.jpg 20171029_172227_1509417027817.jpg 20171029_172209_1509417040834.jpg 20171014_180111.jpg 20171014_180114.jpg 20171029_170247_1509417166176.jpg 20171029_170336_1509417092123.jpg

Pictures like this keep me going and optimistic on what she can be used-1955-packard-clipper_constellation_custom--145-15565762-81-1024.jpg tapatalk_1517998935863.jpeg

So the first thing in order is my mind is the stabilize and stop the rust so as time goes by it wont be deteriorating much.

Any tips on how I should attack this job?

2. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

@themoose photshoped these for me. Thanks again. tapatalk_1511063344906.jpeg tapatalk_1511063352489.jpeg

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Have you scrubbed it by hand yet? Give it a real good bath, I would use Comet or a cleanser of that type. It look really solid in pics, and I like it.

4. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I haven't and i know it's a shame, but I will try that. Thanks for your input. Is this lacquer paint? I need to some reading on old lacquer paint jobs.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. There's a 55 Clipper I've been watching on CL $2500....tempting! all taken apart. I think they are great cars, high quality, don't see them everyday...I love that photoshopped black one.

7. I am GLAD to see you finally got a good solid project to work on.I hope you got a title with her???Bruce.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Give it a good cleaning, D&P, inside and out, you will get a chance to really see what you have. Those are really well built cars, with good hardware on the trim and elsewhere. Like Bruce, Im hoping you got a title so you dont have to jump through any more hoops than neccessary. Post some more pics when you can.

9. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I'l be going to the DMV soon to put her in my name , just had some things to take care of at school but now I'm free. I got a bill of sale and I keep in touch with the old owner so I hope too I dont have hoops to go through. I'l keep everyone updated.

10. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your questions about the Packard Clipper can all be answered on the PackardInfo.com site. Some there are purists and will criticize make a street rod out of it, but most others are ready, willing, and able to share their knowledge and experiences. The engine and vehicle number should match. Engine number is stamped on a boss on the top front of the engine. Vehicle number should be on a stamped plate on the front of the driver side door. I had a 55 Clipper Super sedan that had a manual transmission conversion. The Twin Ultramatic will not put up with much abuse. I also converted the power brakes to non-boosted type. The EasaMatic power brakes are dependable if overhauled and maintained. If not, they will fail without warning. The Torsion Level suspension was a Packard innovation used in the 1955-56 models. It worked much better than the conventional suspensions used in those days, but the self-leveling part can be troublesome. Good luck

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  11. Well first thing I would do is pull the engine set it at least 40 feet away from the car then set it on fire. :D :D :D

I am not going to be much help here unless you want me to learn about Packards but I'm with you my friend. Consider me subscribed to this thread.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy howdy that is a solid looking car. Going with what he said back in 1969 while waiting in line at a do it yourself car wash in Killeen Texas we watched two old lifer sergeants scrub a 55/56 Ford Sedan with a couple of cans of Bon Ami and sponges or scrub brushes. The car was pretty scaly before they started and it came out pretty decent. I saw it running down the street a week later all waxed and shined up looking like a totally different car.
    If it were me that Packard would just get slicked out with maybe some chrome removed and get lowered with a real nice single color paint job. I'd concentrate on making it slick and smooth rather than trying to make a bunch of changes on the body work.

13. I'd keep the beltline trim ( have to find some I guess) and two tone it yellow over black, enough pearl in the yellow to make it frosty and call it the bumble bee.

But first thing I would do is get in every nook and cranny and find treasures, while I was cleaning it to the max. Then get it road worthy and drive it while I was gathering what was needed to finish it up.

Definitely go treasure hunting. You can find some pretty neat stuff in old cars. I still got a prom glove that I found one old heap that showed up here and I did find a ounce of brow sugar in an old caddy I bought once. Don't still have that though and no I never actually caught the dragon, I did give it a run for the money. :oops::eek::D:D

Terrible80 likes this.
  14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

NOOOOOOO...........
    [​IMG]

15. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hahahahhaha

Frankie47 likes this.
  16. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks a lot, I'm most likely going to ditch the brake because you not the only one who has warned me about them. I'm more of Buick purist if any thing, gotta see a Buick engine in a Buick. Love my GM's but even they used ford toploaders in the 60's, so hey. But I really have no loyalty to Packard. My grandpa said they are real good cars but even he is a Cadillac man. I'm guessing you went with a toploader conversion?
    I would like to keep the torsion bar suspension, I hear nothing but good things when it's WORKING. If you have time please send some more details on your brake conversion. Thanks

17. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Wow a scrub. I didn't think @s55mercury66 really ment to go hard on the scrubbing, now I know. So glad I asked. Thanks for your input, you always been good to me.

18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Man I like the way you think. Balls to say what you want to say. About the engine, that's why I said I still don't know what direction I'm going in. The Packard V8 is a good engine so it's a very hard decision to make, Unlike the trans and brakes. Either way, thanks for subscribing, I too have found something in cars the wildest was some crack in an aucion car the size of a popsicle. Some guys drove up on me and told me to pull over a week after i got that car and said they needed something from the car, I told them my dad was cop and I knew what they wanted, they pealed out..
    I have found new weather stripping for the Clipper inside the truck, but I still haven't went through it like i should.
    Have a blessed day big bro

19. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

and that bumble bee idea is brilliant.

20. @RichFox may be able to give you some idea on the Packard mill. He plays with them some.

I always say what's on my mind that is kind of what got me kicked out of the Christians. But that is another world and doesn't have much overlap with customs and hot rods. That will make you an excellent cruiser with the family you got planned. I cannot imagine anyone not liking it no matter what you decide to do with it.,

Just call me uncle Lenny ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  21. flatford39

flatford39

That is the deal (steal) of the last decade. That is a good looking car. Congratulations.

22. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks Sir, my first car ever bought was for 50$, I was 16 paid 49 cash and 1$ in coins. Cost more to tow it home. Have a great weekend. I guess I got a thing for coupes that don't run.

23. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thank you Bruce. Have a nice weekend Bud.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  24. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lowered into the ground....lol
    [​IMG]

25. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Lol, I've seen that green one, its got a chop. I don't see myself chopping her but who knows. That's what I like about cars, so many directions they could take. But foward is always the best direction lol

Frankie47 likes this.
  26. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The mechanic who did it for me got a standard brake pedal and master cylinder from another Packard and installed it. It was a single chamber master cylinder. If doing it again, I would search for a dual chamber and adapt it.

27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Before you use the comet(kinda a course cleaner) or BonAmi (or rubbing compounds,) I'd use CLR to get rid of any rust. Be careful of the trim. Maybe remove it 1st, at least it'll be easier to polish it up before reinstalling. Let me know if you need some parts. I might be able to scare some up, but shipping may be an issue, time to get them is too. A friend has 1 or 2 of these, they may be 4drs, but I can ask. Keep the Packard mill if you can. I'd look at Packards' OEM paint combos for some ideas. They got fairly wild. Even though it's a ton of work, I'd like to see that one done in (maybe 3 tone) psychedelic paint style. :D . & I do like the dash. A lot like the '55 Stude Speedster.
    Marcus...

Steve Ray likes this.
  28. philo426

philo426

Yes I saw one that had a black roof,white body with pink/coral accent color.

29. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thank you for the information