Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Fuel line is plugged or pump is inoperative. Sorry for my blowup earlier but the book is so important. Ralphie

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Hard for me to trust buying another $40 book when the first one everyone insisted i buy turned out to not be at all helpful. Anyway i think at this point i’m almost done with the tri five specific stuff.

I’m going to pick up a new fuel pump when i’m out later

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

You might need more than two gallons in there...the pickup in the tank might not reach the gas...especially if its jacked up at an angle nose down like your pic shows...

4. You can always pour gas into the carb bowl by way of the vent. The engine will run enough to pull the fuel to the pump.

As for books, they weren't in print back in the 70's. I figured it out by looking close or borrowing a Motor's Manual.

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG] the fedex man just stopped by

6. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

You should be able to test you pump before throwing money at it. remove the pump discharge pipe and feel for praesure at the pump discharge with your thumb while cranking engine.

7. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Did you bench bleed the new master???

Hollywood-East likes this.
  8. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The master is just sitting there on the old studs to test fit it with the pedal

9. flatford39

flatford39

Before you go buy a new pump just unscrew it from the carb and see if you get gas while you bump it over a few times. You may want to get that thing back on the ground and level and add more gas to the tank.

10. indyjps

indyjps

Been following along, for a while, seems like you had plenty of help so Im just reading

I also went to Carbondale, was on this team, let me know if they have a chassis dyno. My senior year we designed a chassis dyno, got machinery and software donated. Engr dept head halted the project the day we got a work order to have university facilities cut out the concrete in the engr lab.

Dont forget the advice I gave in your vehicle search thread, spend some of those weekends on campus. Available 20yr old females arent as available once you leave school. :D

11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Carbondale isn’t what it used to be but the strip is still tons of fun every weekend! :) they are closing the towers this year because attendance is so low but i have a blast down there. We don’t have a dyno but the new car we’re building we got a company to sponsor a turbo project so we’re getting the engine rebuilt and pistons gapped for boost!

12. Yes, it does look like it should. Did it come with anything to place between the straps and the tank?

13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

It did not, i’ll look around and see if i can find something to put between though

14. flatford39

flatford39

That would be a great idea. Remember someone is going to buy this car after you so do yourself proud by doing it right in the first place.

15. ring gap

ring gap

I'm also in the camp put more gas in the tank...squirt some gas in carb..but not when your turning it over...good lucko_O:)....

16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I just might hang on to it after the amount of work i’ve put into it ;)

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  17. I placed a pad between the tank and floor pan, look for something that won't soak up and hold water. I used one of those non-skid pads you put under a cutting board, cut it into strips. Ace Hardware had that. I also put shrink sleeve over my straps, which on the Ford are stainless steel. I shrank it using the flame of my gas stove, but now have a heat gun.

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  18. Everyone asks me that. If I'm going to sell it when I finish it. They watch too many of those ass-hat car shows on TV. AND.. a hot rod is never ever finished.

19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I checked to see if the fuel pump is working and it is, but it seems weak. I don’t want to run it without the fuel filter because the filler neck was full lf all kinds of crap but it seems like that might be making it weak.

Clay Belt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. RMONTY

RMONTY

Describe what you mean by "seems weak". I can tell you that the fuel pump on the 1951 I sold yesterday would shoot fuel out like a severed artery would shoot out blood, a pulsing type spurt. I actually cleaned the original fuel line out by running the engine off my little 1 gallon IV tank that I showed you a couple of time. I rigged up some fuel line to recirculate fuel through the pump until all the crap stopped coming out of the line and pump. Once it was clean and free flowing, I hooked everything back up as it should be so I could run off the new tank in the car. I had a cheap clear fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb, and I figured with the sort of spurting and perceived pressure the clear filter would be FULL of fuel but in the 30 gallons of fuel I ran through the car while fixing everything the clear fuel filter never got more than halfway full. Hopefully someone that knows will jump in and give an accurate way of testing the pressure and what it should be. I bought a new fuel pump for that car because I figured it would be shot after sitting 24 years but it was still pumping yesterday when we loaded it on the guys trailer. I installed the new fuel pump on my 235 that's going in the Sedan Delivery several weeks ago.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

5 to 7 lbs.
    [​IMG]

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

And there ya have it. I've never had the need to check fuel pressure on an older car. I had to check it on an OT vehicle once when trying to diagnose an EFI problem I was having.

I would imagine your LAP would have this as a loaner tool.

23. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

That's my experience with clear fuel filters. They always seem to have an air bubble that never goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I actually have a pressure gauge that was given to me with the snap on starter from 57chevydude, i’ll throw that on there in a bit here and see what i get

driverquality and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Be careful when doing this so that the test hose does not come off and allow fuel to go everywhere. A mechanical pump can be tested dry as well (no fuel going in).

26. RMONTY

RMONTY

Now you are starting to get your mindset going in the right direction. There are some things that you cannot just assume and the mechanical operation of certain items are among the most important. You can maximize the limited amount of time that you have (being away from your project most of the time at school) by doing solid troubleshooting from the get-go. Knowing the fuel pressure will eliminate or confirm the fuel pump as an/the issue. It can very well be several issues causing the problem. Troubleshooting is a process, a process of knowing the data and systematically eliminating components and scenarios until the problem is resolved. Carry on and let us know, as a lot of people are behind you 100%.

27. flatford39

flatford39

It's the difference between a mechanic and a parts changer!!!

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

Make sure that gauge is a Fuel Pressure Gauge and not a Vacuum Gauge!!!! :eek:

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Can't we do both babe"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  30. RMONTY

RMONTY

"Can't we do both babe"

To satisfy Johnny Gee and to keep things in perspective and on the right track for Pineapple, please look at the gauge and make sure it is a compound gauge that measures both vacuum and fuel pressure. You could have a compound gauge, or a fuel pressure gauge, or a vacuum gauge. Only you know as you are the one with the gauge.

[​IMG]