Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 chevrolet coupe inspiration.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Lono, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Lono

Lono

s-l1600-2.jpg Has it been an exceptionally long fucking winter? I swear to god I'm going criminally insane. My 60 olds is waiting for exhaust and interior and in the mean time I've been hunting every forum, market place, back yard, dumpster, estate sale for anything that captures my interest and I'm seeing nothing. NOTHING!

It might be too many cars in too short of years or lack of motivation but anything I see just doesnt spark that flame, except.

I'm looking at a 41 chev coupe thats an old "senior" build. The fellow built it, did the bodywork, paint and interior in the 80's and its not anything special. I think he just wanted a cool car to drive so thats what it is. The body work is far from straight, the paint is 2 tone enamel, the interior is velour. It's got some basic luxuries like ps/pb, 305/350 auto and thats about it.

I'm liking the idea of being able to drive it while I built it, kind of a nice change. What I need is some inspiration to help me pull the trigger. So, I turn to everyone here for some fire under my ass.

What have you guys got for 41 coupes out there? Any old builds, old customs from the day?
    What was popular customizing besides the usual lowering, skirts, visor or chop? I'm looking at this as a blank canvas on wheels and ready for input.

I did my usual photoshop mock up to see if it inspired me and i'm starting to feel it.
    *(this was a chopped coupe I found so put it back to a stock roof line, added skirts, pipes, a visor but looking for real world ideas).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. 'Mo

'Mo

'41 Chevies are beautiful cars. Given the opportunity, I'd jump on one in a minute!
    Barris Customs did this one.

[​IMG]

The one change I'd be certain to make (to any fat fendered car ;)) is molding the rear fenders to the body.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you can get it for a decent price buy it and be happy. Go over the car, check brakes, tires, etc fill the shocks with oil get an alignment etc etc and drive it. See how it drives and how you like it before you think of any mods.

You could go for the 'high school hot rod' look with red wheels, later wheel covers like Lancers or Olds, fender skirts, lowered a couple of inches, mild dechroming.

One thing you may not know about, the suspension is basically the same up to 1954 Chev (1962 on Corvette) but the newer models were lowered by modified king pin supports and smaller wheels. If you find an early fifties car you can cabbage the front suspension, lower your car a couple inches with stock parts, and have better brakes to boot. Canadian Pontiac may be the same but I can't guarantee it.

Honest, I think you should drive it and enjoy it.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't like the completely dechromed look. It needs the side chrome and rocker panel chrome. You might nose and deck it, in other words take the jim cracks off the hood and trunk lid.

And lose the visor, it doesn't do a thing for you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Scooterville and Lono like this.

5. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Lets see what I have in my stash of pictures. Here are a few of mine.
    41 Chevy front 3 qtr.jpg 41 Chevy drvr side view.jpg drivers door panel and rug.jpg 41 Chevy with skirts and Sombreros.JPG

6. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

I have one I’ve been driving. Updated underneath and installed safety stuff brakes steering. Drives great limited to how low because of roads. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

Lono likes this.
  8. Terrible80

Terrible80

What does cabbage the suspension mean?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lono likes this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Cabbage = swipe, pirate, appropriate, liberate. In other words take off another car.

AmishMike and Lono like this.
  10. Terrible80

Terrible80

11. Lono

Lono

Yeah, loosing sleep on this one already.
    I'm heading to meet the owner with a stack of Bordens on monday and see if a deal can be made. Learning more about the car as we go along. Its got a camaro clip under it and a 305 resting on it.
    I'm liking the college custom idea. Simple mods. I also like shaved. I really need to see more to get my groove on but the fire has been lit. Thanks for posting everyone, hope to see more.

12. Lono

Lono

Love that back window. I did that on a plymouth coupe once.

13. Fern 54

Fern 54
    from Pomona, CA

14. Lono

Lono

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS COSTING OUT RIGHT NOW!!!!

Fern 54 likes this.
  15. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

16. Lono

Lono

Ah, Fugity, fug fug, there will be no sleep in Hooville tonight.

B Bay Barn and Frankie47 like this.
  17. Lono

Lono

headlights2 modified.jpg a little pearl..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  18. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

So many ways to go. Plenty of great builds.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I like the white car, but, don't care for the 39 Ford headlights. And it emphasizes how much it needs the rocker panel chrome (like the black car).

Hnstray likes this.
  20. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

I just Frenched mine.

Fern 54 likes this.
  21. Lono

Lono

more

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and Fern 54 like this.
  22. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

23. Lono

Lono

It's a nice car. very dated and driveable with some simple intervention from sitting, but very dated.
    I can see where this was someone's project, their dream. The fellow was no auto body pro but gave it his all. If the deal goes through I want to learn about the builder. kind of thank him for his efforts. The guy that owns it now bought it to flip, I get that. there's no connection just a chance for some cash. now we'll see how much he'll bend because it's overpriced right now.

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That paint job - ew. They did have a similar color scheme that year or the next, a sand beige lower and chestnut roof. It looked real good. If a paint job is out of the question how about just painting the fenders the same color as the body?

Lono likes this.
  25. Lono

Lono

You know, that's not a bad idea. It looks like enamel to me from a distance. The cream colour won't turn heads but I won't do satin black. I can see it needs a lot of finessing in the fenders.
    if doing that, a little welding and filling might fill up them body seams.

My olds is most likely going to go to a young man who has a big passion for them so this may be good therapy for sellers remorse.

'Mo likes this.
  26. Lono

Lono

The build list is coming together in my mind...
    1) the ride stance has to be lowered. .. ( change or cut coils or add blocks up front and 3 inch blocks in the back.
    2) wide whites, Hollywood spinners and skirts.
    3) ford headlights , and shave the front signals.
    still looking for more ideas...

'Mo likes this.
  27. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

You never mentioned if the front suspension had been changed. If not then it has the funky independent suspension where the "shock" is part of the upper control arm. Butch's Rod Shop sells a lowering kit for the lower control arm but it only lowered it 1.5-2 inches. So if you want more than that then cut 1 coil. No more than 3 inch blocks in the back....you will bottom out. I wouldn't do the Ford headlights but that's a preference thing. I would also get an original seat, they look better than sticking a modern seat in there. Anyway, it has the makings of a cool car.

Lono likes this.
  28. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

Like the wide whites and spinners,I’m looking in to a dark blue. Bench is way to go. [​IMG][​IMG]

29. ,...41's are a favorite Chevy of mine,..here's a quicky sketch...
    art 2018 088.jpg

BigO, Outback, Bowtie Coupe and 6 others like this.
  30. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York