Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how did you lift/ sling your engine.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Dec 21, 2017.

1. how big of a deal is it to pul the nose? the radiator will already be drained and disconnected, the wire harness a a few bolts and it will be off. that is what i did on the '55 chevy in the first post. a lot easier than it looks.

henryj1951 likes this.
  2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread is uplifting......

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Not every pick is the same, a bare block, long block, single carb intake, multiple carbs and polished covers on...
    I usually improvise how and where the pick points go but I did just recently get a new hoist.
    Picked it up cheap at an estate sale and had it gone through and load tested by a licensed shop.
    Sure beats the old manual continuous chain.
    I do still have a break down cherry picker for odd or outside picks too..

20171222_165929.jpg

czuch, henryj1951 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. love the disco ball!

Paul and henryj1951 like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Merry Christmas! These are the guys that came home and built the Hot Rod hobby we have today. Bob

6. Same chain I've used for 30 years!

P1000613.JPG

swade41, tb33anda3rd and henryj1951 like this.
  7. mountainman2

mountainman2

Not pointing fingers, but after looking at some of these devices, the question asked in the other thread about the safety of a manifold attached lifting plate becomes a moot point......:rolleyes:

Clay Belt and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. This is a copy of a KR Wilson flathead tool. It attaches quickly to the lifter valley. image.jpeg

The one below I made for lifting Model A engines from 2 spark plug holes. It's adjustable for the transmission being on or off.
    image.jpeg

Tim, tb33anda3rd and Paul like this.
  9. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Buick 455 and Turbo 400 hanging from the loader of the 60 John Deere

[​IMG]

10. HF engine leveler... best on sale $25 investment ever. HF crane was another story, that needed a little love to get it to work right. 221-017.JPG 221-018.JPG

RDE, Willy_P, Paul B and 3 others like this.
  11. Yes, but does it lift and separate?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. I have one of those plates that bolts on in place of the carb but often use old seat belts through the intake manifold. My OT cars use a Citroen 602cc flat twin so I can just pick it up and move it around the workshop on my own

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. found a couple more that i made, can't remember what i used them for.
    DSCF0015.JPG DSCF0016 2.JPG

ct1932ford likes this.
  14. rusty valley

rusty valley

i'm a flathead guy. this is cut out exactly to match an intake, so its also used for painting IMG_1194.JPG

Tim, Stephen Barrett, 56don and 10 others like this.
  15. doesn't get better than that!

clem likes this.
  16. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Good stuff here.
    Here's what I came up with this weekend for lifting my straight 8 Packard. I haven't used them yet but the plan was to be able to use the different holes to level out the engine side to side as I'll be swinging this thing over my frame quite a bit to start fabbing engine mounts.
    Hopefully I can test them out soon

Bobby
    IMG_0913.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. seat belts tied around the exhaust manifolds. DSCF0001.JPG

Clay Belt likes this.
  18. this was made to lift a sbc into an old international metro delivery van. because the engine was under the cowl it had to be lifted like this to get it in. DSCF0008.JPG DSCF0007.JPG

19. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

I WOULD NEVER LIFT A MOTOR OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD CARBURETOR AREA! ANY MORE THAN I WOULD PICK AN INFANT BY THE NECK!

Clay Belt, Caprice89 and czuch like this.
  20. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

Well what method would you use them?

Sent from my VS990 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have seen a full dressed IH bus engine being held by the magnet at the scrappers just at the corner of the bock. :rolleyes::D

Clay Belt likes this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of those to install soon....but we put the top end on a diet. ;)

Clay Belt likes this.
  23. A couple seat belt brackets from the junk drawer. They worked fine. F9809F14-6E11-466F-BF17-CC39BB93508A.jpeg

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I end up doing most of my lifting and such by myself.
    The load leveler attachement and a swivel link have proved invaluable to me. Being able to crank the handle and tip whichever way to manipulate into tight spaces, and the swivel allows to turn when the cherry picker wont (ever notice how they never go the way you want them to?)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. BJR

BJR

Putting a flathead in a 50's Chev?
    [​IMG]

26. I have been using a tilter like this one for a while now. Makes it a lot easier when setting an engine by yourself.

On an early engine without head bolt holes you have to get a little creative attaching it. I find that the trouble taken to attach it is overridden but the ability to change tilt angle without setting the engine down and taking another bite.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. I've used come-a-longs for nearly every engine removal and install I've done for myself since 1980. I only used an engine hoist once because a buddy of mine lent me his for an engine swap for my OT truck a few years ago.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. That's a shoebox Ford with a Chevy grille. ;)

29. LOL I have used one of everything for the lifting part of the job. Come-a-longs , chain hoist, backhoe buckets, I even had a rope snatch block when I was in highschool ( note keep good rope in it). :D

Tim, NashRodMan and Bleach like this.