Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chop or not ...36 3 window pontiac

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dylan smith, Mar 5, 2018.

1. low down A

low down A

just because someone ask for opinion's doesn't mean they have to do what you suggest. GM'S 3 windows of this period look very clunky compared to fords of the same period, my opinion you don't have to agree {OMG-WTF}. CHOP IT

chryslerfan55 and 'Mo like this.
  2. chopped yet?

'Mo likes this.
  3. Kerrmudgeon

Kerrmudgeon
    from Canada

It's got an awesome profile just as it is. NO CHOP!......I would lower it and run big and smalls on it to give it a bit of rake, that's it. cheers. love that car.

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Here are a couple photo of a 1936 Pontiac I saw at a show some years back. I'm not usually a fan of chopped cars but this one looked pretty good to me.

edit: I see the same car was in post #20 above...I wonder what ever happened to it and if it got finished; it was being built by a local shop that went out of business and I never saw it again. It had a really cool custom chassis, and the original straight 6 with an Edmunds twin carb manifold.

IMG_0911.jpg IMG_0914.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I really like the car in post64 . If it was me I would have leaned the rear back glass forward just a tad to mimic the A pillar angle . But if you chop the roof or not , the lower door glass trick is a must on any of the 1936 Gm's . Side glass dementions are way out wack with the lines of the car. To many street rod versions out there. I would definitely go the custom route. Good luck Larry

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Pete

Pete

That Pontiac is the perfect car to chop! It would totally enhance all the features of the body and it would look sooo much cooler.

7. 28Hud

28Hud

No need to chop that beauty. She looks great as she stands.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LIFESTYLZ and nunattax like this.
  8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You could also go completely off your rocker,:) like mine! Gary:D

Attached Files:

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

EXACTLY

LIFESTYLZ, chryslerfan55 and 28Hud like this.
  10. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Yes it needs a progressive chop. More in the back than the front. Slam it and put fender skirts on it. Drag that tail!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. fortynut

fortynut

Opinions are easy to come up with because in the end, whatever happens, you lose no skin off your nose. With that in mind, here is what I think
    If you have the skill sets to modify metal and finish it, and the grit it takes to live with the lengthy process of modifying a stock automobile of this period into something a coach works would have done it the day, you would be wise to consult with an artists who is familiar with the process and have them do some renderings of the finished product. Or, make your own sketches. Having some idea of what you want it to look like when it's finished is a good tool for when you get tired of hard work that is su
    Involved. You will then be able to show someone else, who may be involved in what you are doing, what you have in mind.
    There are no headlights in the picture. They are also an issue in both the design and overall look. You might do well to study pictures of some of the early European and English luxury cars, as well as their sports cars. Big, shiny, chrome, ostentatious, and imposing might be better than not. After all, you will want to be able to see at night. Even going so far as adding driving lights and/or fog lights. I would think the same might be true of the rear. If you have a problem with seeing out the rear, use a camera and monitor like those used in RVs. With a custom the sky's the limit. So, shoot for the moon!
    Because these came with inline engines, the original designer(s) we're confronted with issues that, if you are going to install a later V8, will no longer be an issue. With this in mind you could also lean the grill back for a more streamlined look to match the angle that you lean back the 'A' pillar. Mention has been made of lowering the rear of the roof to make the 'hump' disappear. This, too, would allow the greenhouse to take on better pro
    proportions, and add to the rearward flow. It will give the overall shape more aerodynamics. To finish it off, and prove the merit of making it like a coach work special, as it can get, paint it black and wax it until it will be like polished obsidian, and add a set of chrome wire wheels and wide white walls. Anything less, you should leave it alone, and find something more suitable to your skills and wallet. That's my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  12. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

13. This is my '35 (suicide doors). Would even think about a chop. Looks right as is.

Attached Files:

slv63 likes this.
  14. I think if you were chop it, either the rear roofline needs to be pulled out and angled Though looking at the side profile of the car, I think even with a 2" chop the whole side of the car could use a 1 or 2 inch section job down the side to keep the proportions somewhat in check.

15. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Cherry out the body, upgrade the chassis and drivetrain......when you finish that, do this to it.....including the BLACK paint!

Stogy, BigO and mgtstumpy like this.
  16. A Boner

A Boner

Guess the op is taking a nap.

17. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I have a 33 Dodge (your car's cousin) the top's look good left alone, I like the look of a chop but I also like original, gives it a bubble top feel, however once the car is on the ground, the top is very low. maybe lay it out then decide.

nunattax likes this.
  18. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

19. Agree.

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Is the Poncho like similar YOM Chevy and wood framed? If so I'd steel it out first and tackle the chop last after body is braced on frame.

21. madfish

madfish

Stock VS. Custom.... Top chopped (slight) rear of top laid down to keep the curve. Bottom of window frame moved upwards, lowered and raked. Removed the side vent windows and aded skirts, Studebaker hubcaps. Also removed hood ornament, bumpers and lowered the headlights 1936 pontiac stock.jpg 1936 Pontiac.jpg Oh, and it's easier in photoshop.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Stogy and mgtstumpy like this.
  22. A Boner

A Boner

The perfect cars to customize are.....ugly ducklings. Tail dragger for sure.....angle chop is the frosting on the cake.

23. You know the '35 model was already suicide doors aye.

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

As an example, here's a stock height 35 Chevy Master all enclosed coupe [Green] and a friend's chopped [Red] version. It's all about the aesthetics, keeping things in proportion and flowing. A bad chop stands out like a sore thumb.
    upload_2019-8-28_11-47-48.png

upload_2019-8-28_11-49-21.png

35chevsl-1.jpg
    35Chevsl.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019