Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical buick dynoflow to open drive shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 24, 2018.

1. the one pictured in post 12 is available.
    what flywheel works?

2. 57 to 66 are the same bellbousing .
    The 264 and 322 are different

3. this is the '57 dynaflow, i think it could be converted to an open shaft pretty easily. i think the three "bell pieces could be welded together and the original torque tube shaft welded to a driveshaft with a carrier bearing. problem i see would be the length, and wouldn't work with any short wheel base hot rods. DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

4. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

TB33ANDA3RD,,,,please, please, expand on your welding of the 3 bell pieces idea! Might be a great solution for open drives for the Buicks these transmissions reside in.

5. i was thinking of doing it just as an experiment. i think i have all the pieces to do it. it would just be easier to find a 61-63 dynoflow, they already have an open drive and are a shorter tranny.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Full disclosure....I have a manual trans and want to keep it but with open drive. I actually have most of the parts to convert it but have not gotten around to it. Probably next winters project. One of the obstacles is supporting the tail end of 50 Pontiac trans I will use. The second is the driveshaft. Your idea would most likely allow the Buick trans to remain and still mate up to the existing tail shaft support member and would make the existing driveshaft a donor. If I understand your idea correctly it might be a great solution for those who have a standard trans and wish to eliminate the leaky torque tube even if the rear end is left in place. It would also allow for an open driveline for alternative rear ends. Would love to see the experiment! :) Or at least a more clear explanation of your thoughts on where, what, and how to weld the 3 pieces. What process would you go though to achieve the modification? I have done a lot of research on this and you are the only person I have come across who has looked at it from a different angle or approach and I think you are on to something. I encourage you to share your thoughts and knowledge.

7. don't go by me, my brain is not normal. when i get a chance i will lay the parts out and try to explain. it may not work for todays standards of horse power/demands but going back to a kid in the driveway, in the fifties, it works.

8. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm watching, but from a slightly different perspective. I have a 1953 straight 8 with the dynaflow and the torque tube trans, but no rear or driveshaft to go with it. It's a backburner project that I read up on years ago and found somewhere that the '61 to '63 dynaflow tailshaft extension would retrofit onto the older dynaflow. I have some parts in the recesses of my storage locker, but have never tried to see if they actually fit.
    See what you can come up with, I'm not sure any of our brains are entirely normal. :)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. k9racer

k9racer

Shit if you want to drive down to Huntsville Alabama I have 2 open drive shaft dyna flows One good and one that has burned up clutch bands a other internal problems . The other I drove on the trailer and into the tear down lane. the fluid smells clean. Come pick up I will NOT ship its fob just give ryan something for the cost of running this place

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

Here's pics of the junkyard Plymouth coupe which ran a nailhead with the Buick stick trans converted to open drive. Not much left of it anymore, but neat to see how it eas done back then.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. i think that is the later tranny?

12. Squablow

Squablow

The pics don't show much but something is welded to the tail of the stick trans. I don't know those transmissions very well but my friend is a real Nailhead guru and he's the one who pointed it out to me, he had grabbed the bellhousing and flywheel out of the car years earlier, he's the one that told me the trans was a modified closed driveshaft unit.

tb33anda3rd likes this.