Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional do-dads inside old hotrods?!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Pete Poling, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Here's one............ DSC_0655s.jpg

2. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

Wrong

3. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

Debralee Scott

4. Milner had a piston gear shift knob, which he gave to the 14 ( more or less) year old cruising partner. Now this is not going to set well with the graffiti-phials on the board but that would suggest that he was exceptionally find of the little girl. What's that say about the man's character? :rolleyes:

5. g-rated movie, get your mind out of the gutter.;)

ct1932ford likes this.
  6. I was just stating the obvious. Lots of our heroes are a little off center, I mean hell even batman had a screw loose. :D.

5window and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. RR

RR

If you watch More American Graffitti, you will see it is more of a big brother/ little sister relationship. True, it is only one scene, but still knocks out the idea of him being a perv.

8. For the firewall, engine side..........

plaque.JPG

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Sex lights. I am just in the process of hooking these up on my T. I figure that there must be a politically correct name for these things, but around here they are called sex lights. They have a convex purple lens about 2" dia. with a swivel mount and are to be mounted at the top corners of the windshield. Supposedly they cut down glare. When I started looking for a set, the kid at Napa didn't have a clue. I took a picture to post and it is lost somewhere in a file I can't find. Googled "sex lights" and came up with an alternative "whore lure". So much for being politically correct. Finally found them from the guy who brings similar type stuff to the swap meet. Just love these things. They give off just the proper purple glow ambiance at night. I cut off the excess wire and it has "ningbo rivue dianxian dianlan" written on it so it must be reproduced by my cousins in China so it is available. Now is this just a regional thing or is it widespread?

10. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a HAMB leather note pad/air gauge glove box buddy, A HAMB leather key case, A leather registration holder for the steering column from HotRodLeather and one his leather tool pouches on the way for the trunk. It aint old stuff but looks like it.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So did Gene Snow!:eek:

325w and chevy57dude like this.
  13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great point. i think one of the great messages of a/g was that all those kids liked and respected one another.

14. Yep it was just your basic coming of age film. Historically Lucas missed the mark by a mile or two but that is called Poetic License.

Grease is another film like that, car show? Well there were cars and racing. But it was based on Rydell high in Chicago, not likely they went to the beach for the summer and last I knew the Los Angels river didn't run in viaducts in Chicago. But it was a car film probably more then Graffiti was. they even built a car in shop class in that one. ;)

Lots of films about the '50s and '60s had cars and motorcycles in them, it was a dominant part of the culture.

chevy57dude likes this.
  15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Milner was what, 18 or 19 in the story? So what if he did like her? He breaks no boundaries in my opinion. In a few short years it would make no difference. I find him well behaved even when he calls her bluff.
    Animal House really gets into this subject.
    In the sequel, Phillip's character is mature and she searches for Milner or a Milner type but he is gone and the culture has changed.
    I find a 32 year-old Chuck Berry singing about sweet little 16 kind of creepy, then there's 22 year old Sedaka's Calendar Girl.
    Jerry Lee Lewis.....o_O

My Great Grandmother married when she was 13. She pinned my infant Great Uncle to the mattress while she went out and played hide and seek with the neighbor kids. This was while my 17 year old Great Grandfather was pulling the day shift in the mines.

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks! Know I'd seen her in other roles. Another actress died too young.

seb fontana likes this.
  17. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

18. Well you can't then pass up ZZ Top can you.

I was just making an observation but it brings the graffiti-phials out of the woodwork.

19. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

This came up on another thread recently. They were called sex lights where I grew up as well.

Rex Stallion likes this.
  20. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Oh, and I had some but can’t say that I noticed any improvement.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yeah.
    I like the movie....not so much the sequel. I'm not one those who has the Paradise Road poster over the bed or little Milner Coupes all over the house. It's a good flick. It made an impression on me at 13 when I saw it on the Late Nite Movie.
    I still think chrome steel wheels and big black walls is....the look.
    There was a country song that is along the same line....
    " Baby's got her blue jeans on."

As far as period junk in the car. Take a look at what's in your daily. Replicate that with period stuff I guess.
    I guess many try to replicate a high school kid car? Garters? The only reason one might be on a mirror is because somebody caught one at a wedding. That was back in 88 or 89.

Some of this stuff is pretty cool. The record player kicks butt. Other stuff though looks like it's from a Shriners Parade truck. I'm a less is more type. Some of these folks are trying too hard.

22. A lot of stuff that we think was in everyone's car or truck just wasn't. But a little bit of it filtered into someone's car or truck at one time or another.

They used to sell these waterslide decals at gas stations and truck stops and etc. from every state in the union. A kid I went to highschool with had done summer trips with his mom and dad all his life and collected them. He drove a Rambler and stuck a decal from every state in the union in the windows. No one thought it was cool but him but he was as cool as it gets.

Like the panties on my package shelf, probably wasn't cool to anyone and I just thought it was funny.

Problem I got with Graffiti is that it gets hyped too much I am just not big on hype. As '70s movies goes it was a pretty fair flick. But I certainly isn't hot rodding and definitely not very historical. That said a lot of people who may have never considered hot rodding get involved because of it and a few others.

One thing for sure you can't beat '60s styling for cars and it was a damned good time to be a kid.

razoo lew likes this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

Razoo Lew: We're practically in the same neighborhood. Did this extend past Canada?

24. Not baggin' on anybody's stuff. Really, I love to spot the vintage items everywhere I go.
    But hot rods are like choppers. Unneeded items don't belong. Customs, ok but a record player in a go fast machine doesn't seem legit. The Chevy is as much about what isn't there as what it has.

25. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a kid in the 70's I had one of these Vincent Price shrunken head kits! They were bitchin'. You would use apples and carve them then use beads for eyes and wishnik type hair. The apples would dry out over time causing the shrunken look.
    vprice.jpg

dan31 and cactus1 like this.
  26. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

High-Jacking Threads = Steven Hawking; when asked “why are there so many theories written on science and so few laws of it” he replied; “because men love to see their name in print”.

27. That he would have made a good, selfless father, if he hadn't been killed by a drunk driver?

Saxman likes this.
  28. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

had a dead possum on the back of my 50 olds untill it exploded and blew maggots over the ttunk and fenders. was a real hit at a rod run in ft. myers bout 1978+-