Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects garagefind/ survivor 40 coupe build. FIRED IT UP!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by joel, Sep 26, 2014.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the drivers side pix. I found a small dip just below the gas filler opening, otherwise just like the other side. I don't think I'll need any filler.
    IMG_0749 (504x800).jpg IMG_0750 (800x556).jpg IMG_0751 (800x483).jpg
    I should have done this last fall.

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looks great Joel! It's really nice to know that these parts are being made and that they actually fit!

3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the things that was keeping me from buying the repo fenders was the idea that they might require some significant adjustment to my original body. If that was the case, why not put the time into the fenders I had? That's just not the case Sam.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

wow joel, they fit nice! you have me thinking on mine. i have 3 nos fenders, but the right rear is rust free but ruff. i may say the heck with it and get a new one. your getting there! keep pushing!

5. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Bittchin fit. Congrats.

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was pointed out to me that your fender is sell able so the cost of the new one is less and time is valuable. I can't say what to do, because each fender and the repair cost is different. In my case, I already spent major time on them and wasn't happy with the results. I'm glad you're still following the thread Rich.

Yeah, I'm happy; they're close enough.

7. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

next time im out your way, i will give you a shout! i want to see the progress! i wish i was that far on mine!

joel likes this.
  8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Give me a call if you're in the area

9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent a little time taking out the low spot on left rear. Tomorrow I will put some k38 on both. The sun will be out so I can spray and take them back in to cure.

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, K38 on the left and no filler so far. I found a couple of spots on the right and I'll do that tomorrow.
    I added some pix of the fender I blocked just to see how straight it was. I had about 2 mils of DP to work with.
    IMG_0758 (800x421).jpg
    bare spots above the wheel opening.
    IMG_0760 (460x800).jpg IMG_0759 (509x800).jpg
    IMG_0762 (800x459).jpg

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Small update.
    IMG_0769 (317x538).jpg IMG_0770 (320x588).jpg
    This is the 2nd application of surface; the first blocked out pretty good except I had to add a little glazing compound above the wheel opening and in the rear below the tail light at the bottom. I checked the running board fit and it's good. One more blocking and then sealer.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice work Joel! it is amazing to me how perfect a panel can look in primer until you start to block sand it. I am very tired of sanding on the mercury at this point. Finished the hood and well into the doors at this point. happy Thanksgiving!

13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That's why some people never go beyond the primer stage! ;)

14. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're right Sam, it's all in the prep. I had to back off a little and slow down; I was making mistakes and skipping stuff. I'm sure you guys are doing a good job; hang in there. HAPPY Thanksgiving.

Probably so but I'm not there .....yet:)

15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are some pix of the fender progress.
    IMG_0771 (487x800).jpg
    I added a little glazing in 3 locations, but I am not complaining about the quality of the fenders. They fit well to the body and the boards; they just need a little touch up.
    IMG_0772 (601x800).jpg
    This area was the least perfect.
    IMG_0773 (800x600).jpg
    There was a small "flat" here on both fenders and if you are using a polyester filler prime, you might not have noticed it.
    IMG_0774 (800x600).jpg
    2nd time on this side. There is a little "flat" about 4 in. up from the running board and 1 in. out from the body. I'm sure everyone watching is aware of this, but I'll say it anyway. Bolt the fenders to the body to do the finishing. I even tighten the bolts in the same order each time. ( yeah, I know, Anal)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks for the update Joel. I am considering buying at least one fender for for my convertible Sedan project.From what I have seen a little filler is needed on most new steel panels. Sure beats hammering,welding , filling ,priming and blocking an original beat up piece.

17. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in complete agreement Sam. I’ve seen original rear fenders on other people’s cars that were worth fixing, but not mine

18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I ‘m back on this project. I am going to finish the cowl vent seal channel. After trying to figure out a better way, I just started filling the pits with epoxy prime and sanding it down until I hit metal.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Runnin shine and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Did you get all the rust out of the pits ? If not you will have some problems later. You can use a good 2K primer and block it out. I like PPG NCP 270 S red or 271 S which is grey.
    Google the instruction sheet and you will see how good it is. It cost more than the cheap stuff but in the long run it's better. I have used it for about 20 years in a production shop and never had a come back from it.

20. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

In my vent channel I wire brushed it all down to bare metal and flowed in some KBS Rust Seal. Did essentially the same as you only I used the KBS instead of primer...sanded down the high spots and flowed more KBS into the low spots. Once finished the channel is smooth and filled with rock hard rust seal.

muldo likes this.
  21. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used DP 40 LF and am going over it with K 36. I haven’t used NCP 270 or 271. I’ll check it out.

22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1 shot, I didn’t know the NCP were isocyanate free. Good to know. Thanks for your input.

23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

40 Ford Standard Coupe are one of my all time favorites.
    A policeman in our neighborhood when I was a teenager working in a body shop use to come by and moonlight there, I remember him selling coke bottles to save up to buy a 40 Standard Coupe in the mid 50's he kept it till he passed away a couple years ago. I asked Stoctan why he was not driving his Coupe one day and he said he needed to get it painted but it was not in his budget. So I sent a wrecker to his house and picked it up and took it to work and painted it black again. He wanted it to have the blue cast to it like Fords had , and told me not to use that black GM used that had a brown cast to it. Him and his wife were so happy when the wrecker brought it back and put it in his garage. He drove it regularly to Coffee un till he passed.
    I still have a 40 Sedan Delivery that I got in the early 60's I am the 3rd owner of it.

24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I kind of did the same as you; only I used Bill Hirsch Miracle Paint after sand blasting the pits and dp40 over that. I've had good luck with that. I did the inside of my drip rails that way also. The miracle Paint doesn't build much, so, I go to epoxy primer right away.
    Good on you for stepping up for the old guy. I hope to get past the painting on this car and get to the driving. I can't think of anything I would swap my coupe for.:)

25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

That's a good exchange of information guys! Glad to see you back on the coupe Joel! We are still priming and sanding the Merc here but have started to paint color on loose pieces.

Good one 1-shot! You are a rare man in these times.

26. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sam, you two are marathoners for sure. It's a little easier to get the shop up to temp these days. I'm still cleaning and organizing to make some room to work.

27. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put one coat of K36 on the vent channel and my SAS pump stopped working; I am waiting on parts. I sanded what I had done.[​IMG]

28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

What is a SAS pump? Down here it stands for San Antonio Shoe, very popular with people that stand a lot like Dr. And Nurses.

29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SAS is a safety equipment supplier; I have a supplied air respirator system made by them.

30. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Does the filter fun off a hose from the compressor or is it self contained with a charcoal filter?

Algoma56 likes this.