Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs First pics of the golden Sahara in decades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Mar 13, 2018.

1. I bet the wiring and electronics would be a big challenge to restore.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just hoping that the right person gets either of those cars. I can see not wanting a bunch of lookie loos showing up wanting to see the cars before the auction but on those two cars you have to give the right people time to prepare for the auction. That means arranging finances and arraigning their schedule to travel there. I saw the results of the auction company not announcing the auction and vehicles in an auction locally a few years ago where most of the rigs brought far less than they should have.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Slowmotion beat me to it.
    Put me second in line for your 61. :D

4. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I can see the spreads in the Rodders Journal now on both cars...

drdave and LGW13 like this.
  5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I heard these cars are going thru the Mecum sale in Indy. can anyone confirm that? There is nothing on their site about it yet

54delray likes this.
  6. Mark, I think I can swing 60 or 80 bucks right now for the Astorian. ;)

I agree with you Mark, I think both cars are going to go for way more money than the average guys among us can even dream of scraping together. Hopefully the big dogs that go for them will have the appreciation for them to see them restored and put out and about for us all to enjoy rather than picking them up for investments and tucking them back away.

7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

8. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I would think if they (Mecum)were involved, they would be promoting like crazy. I wonder if Mr. Street left any stipulations on disposing of his collection? Interesting to see how it pans out. Hope you get a shot at it Mark.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. I hope someone like Tom Bobowski tries to acquire it. Although I am not sure it is in his wheel house as he seems to like earlier cars he is a stickler for details during restorations which this car deserves.

Here are a few more shots from Ben Blevins via Custom Car Chronicle.
    2v2JwbrLrx2Kus1.jpg
    2v2JwbjWFx2Kus1.jpg 2v2JwbjA9x2Kus1.jpg 2v2Jwb5nrx2Kus1.jpg 2v2JwbyMvx2Kus1.jpg

10. Yes, its confirmed, Mecum is involved. Don't know about Indy just yet

drdave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Update:

Confirmed, They will be in Indy

rodncustomdreams and drdave like this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Maybe the Kookie car should stay as Jim Street made it. There are so many really good clones out there.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

I sort of missed the point I was trying to give. I admit the Jim Street version is rather ugly. With the Golden Sahara, do you restore it to the Barris version? I like the Bob Metz upgrades. At what point in time is a car really done? I prefer the Dick Scritchfield version of the Bob McCoy car.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will be a secret on your thread...I won't tell...;)

I take it this was cloned as not being up on Customs I recall a pretty faithful rendition which like it is pretty way out kool...At least they are albeit neglected, indoors.

gonmad, chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Good points
    I really see the T bucket going back to 77 Sunset strip style...looks like it would be easy

Good stuff

Max Gearhead likes this.
  16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The interior has survived in remarkable condition and the roof. The electronics would be a huge challenge to get working again.

I can't believe I'm seeing pictures of it.

rodncustomdreams and Moriarity like this.
  17. strip off the yellowed clear seat covers over the seats and the floor... wonder what the condition is like.. Mark hope you can swing it ..You are the perfect person to own these two cars. I know there are lots of clone Kookie Kar's , but there is only one that's the real deal... all respect to Mr. Jim Street RIP... but the Kookie Kar needs to be restored back to 77 Sunset Strip version...

18. does anyone know if the picture of the Golden Sahara with a Chris-Craft Cobra was just
    a staged picture in the little pages... an over the top Kustom with a Chris Craft that was way ahead
    of its time..

drdave likes this.
  19. No clone Voodoo Larry did a car inspired by both versions.
    The Cobra was Jim's boat.

20. boat.jpg

mgtstumpy, 54delray, dwollam and 8 others like this.
  21. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Can you imagine sitting on those plastic seat covers, under that bubble-top, in the heat?
    I sometimes wonder about such things...

Fordor Ron likes this.
  22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sorry guy's that Golden Sahara is way too ugly for me. I wouldn't take it if you gave it to me. Let it RIP.

verde742, murpa, Atwater Mike and 4 others like this.
  23. nobux

nobux

What a crying shame. The car that was the inspiration for untold thousands of t-buckets, sitting there looking like that. At least it finally has the more than likely chance of getting all the ugly wiped back off of it. I know he was proud of his version, but come on...look at it.

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

54delray, mgtstumpy, dwollam and 4 others like this.
  25. Why do you insist on coming on every custom thread and explaining that you hate everything about customs? I have yet to see a single positive comment on a thread about customs from you yet you seem to find the need to post negative shit constantly.

mgtstumpy, 54delray, gonmad and 28 others like this.
  26. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

This article at Custom Car Chronicle has some more information: https://www.customcarchronicle.com/...s-customizer/jim-street-collection-uncovered/

Apparently the Sahara was stored indoors, wrapped tightly and elevated off the ground. The Kookie T was in storage off-site that was supposed to be secure, but it ended up getting rodent damage and was moved to a different location afterward.
    Seems like the cars survived OK, all things considered. Pretty neat to see them again, regardless of condition.

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My sentiments exactly......

54delray, mgtstumpy, Torchie and 21 others like this.
  28. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

If I were ever to acquire Grabowski’s old car, as highly likely as that is, I’d clean and put it back together just as it currently is. I like the crazy 60’s vibe it has, and if it weren’t rebuilt from such an iconic car, it probably wouldn’t be such a problem for some...I get that. Then I’d arrange to do the US show circuit along with the best of the Kookie Car clones, and the Von Franco built Lightning Bug. After a couple of years I would’ve decided what, if anything, I’d do with it next.

alchemy and rodncustomdreams like this.
  29. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

This picture breaks my heart, if I'm right, that's Norms Kookie Kar. So sad.

mgtstumpy, tfeverfred and dana barlow like this.
  30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its a shame that Jim had to pass before they could be seen again.