Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Today, in the land of Geometry idiots with co morbid spatial recognition issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Feb 22, 2018.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Using the app? Poke the picture, lower left corner there’s a box, poke that, save picture.

In iPad pics, edit. Lower edge, circle with three dots, markup.

[​IMG]

Then play with the pens to draw things.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. on the ipad what is the icon on the left for? and why does our ipad not have the icon on the right? [indicated by arrows] faabc7bb64627cad8bd78080c25211d0.jpg

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The magic wand looking thing on the left seems to fool with the contrast and brightness. You don’t have the markup option in picture edit? Dunno. Works on mine ok.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. DSCF0012.JPG thanks. it is amazing all the cool stuff the computers can do.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I see why the big hole now, I think? If it goes the way I think it is, Awesome!

6. It's still an open option at this time.
    I could switch it up to be on a 1-1/4 solid shaft and a solid 1 piece pedal and arm assembly. But you'd never be able to change the bushings, the entire assembly would be a service part.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

True. But getting the whole assembly in at what ever angle needed to be able to clear and fit thru (floor board) during the install would make installing a breeze.

8. On the other hand; If you made a "one piece" pedal assembly; a bushing that diameter and width would probably never "wear out" under the use this truck will receive.

9. The 55-57 Chevy trucks had a big cast bracket riveted to the left inside frame that was a pivot and support bracket for the clutch and brake pedal, with an internal bronze bushing.
    When I built my 56, I ran a crs shaft through the bracket, welded a pedal arm to it with a tapered eye at the top for the stock brake pedal, in the stock location. A thick flat washer with a retaining bolt into the shaft end, on the outer end, kept it in place.
    If you could find one of these brackets, things would be easy. They were for me, and I'm not even close to your skill level. If I took pics, they got purged when I sold the truck
    Used a small booster, dual m/cyl and it all fit. SBC, 350 trans, Cutlass front clip.

loudbang likes this.
  10. The adventure continues:
    Had a couple hrs at the end of the day to mess around with the truck.
    Let's do something easy, at least get an idea to to sleep on and ponder.
    Was mocking up the exhaust and needed this running board bracket.
    Started wondering why the holes were stretched out. So I grabbed the running board and started playing with it. Took me about 2 mins to figure it all out.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Turns out the running board fits like it's supposed to and its in the right place.
    What's off is the frame isn't where it's supposed to be.
    Ran a string line and the frame is sway backed 3/4". Not quite sure how I missed that before, I even thought I might have done it, then you go back to that running board bracket and it wasn't me.

Ok great, something easy to fix and fits my time frame.
    Couple hrs and the frame is no longer sway backed.
    I'll probably end up boxing the whole thing.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

This little set up should be in everybody's shop.
    A heavy beam ( that's a 8x31 I think about 9'), couple good chains and a 30 ton bottle jack. You can straighten or bend just about anything you want or at least figure out how to rig up. Just make sure you have a good lifting chain, not a big box store bulk chain.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

11. Jeez, are you a crap magnet?

12. Illusionist extraordinaire,
    an illusionator and eraser of all craptacular things-great and small.
    A reverser or nincompoopery
    That sounds better than a crap magnet don't it?

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Who say's you can't polish a turd?

loudbang and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  14. Naw naw naw you can't polish a turd.
    But turd polisher still sounds better than crap magnet.

It's like a train wreck you can't look away from.
    So we fix it.
    image.gif

loudbang likes this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

16. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

This is why I like just doing the Running rolling chassis setups for guys, they just need to drop on the Body and go. We do about 20 or so Chassis setups with various engine/ Trans packages and about 10 of these Trucks a year. They are really damn popular right now, I just cannot fit comfortably in them. But yeah I hate having to fix other peoples stuff and Im too nice to turn some stuff away, but I should.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work! I, for one, cannot stand working on and fixing other people's mistakes. That I have no patience for. The owner of that truck is lucky to find someone like you rather than someone like me.

18. this is why Im glad I have frame equipment
    I have a floor anchor system at home with unibody attachments and a floor mount puller

frame machines make nice welding tables

19. There's a frame machine across the parking lot that I have visitation rights to. They own it and don't know how to use it. They tell me it won't do what I make it do lol. Pulled some goofy stuff that supposed to be impossible. Phffft :p

But I'd be kinda fucked getting that truck over there let alone up on the rack with out the front suspension in it. This is great portable bender un bender set up. We straightened all the cross bars on my trailer with it too, couldn't do that on the frame machine.

loudbang likes this.
  20. sounds like those folks are scared
    I have pulled off some crazy stuff on frame benches
    when I was at JHRS we bought several Car-o-Liner benches, one of those things made the best 32 frame jig ever

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In a lame effort toward making you feel a little better about those "others" you find similar issues in restoration. The biggest issue is the "never fully tighten fasteners" memo I didn't get. Seems at times every other shop or tech got it. I have a couple theories in play at all times.
    1: If it was good enough for (Packard, Henry Ford, Fred and August Duesenberg, etc) it's good enough for me. Short version of don't re-invent, don't overdo the final product, restore it.
    2: "I'm kinda lazy like that." Short version of dozens of examples doing things easy and with focus on the finished product. I.E., before a final weld/assembly/paint, walk away. Have a coffee, a smoke, pull up a milk crate and look at it. Let someone else see it sometimes. Amazing what fresh eyes can find (a working theory in prototype at some shops).
    3: The cleanest and easiest way to engineer a modification ALWAYS looks the best as well. Ever see plumbing in a race car that looks like Curly from the Stooges did it? This is also guided by #2 in some ways, in others maybe #1 as well. Short example, should I run a relay to the relay in order to relay the voltage to the headlights? Who can relay this info? I see cars with 6-10 relays and think of entering a hotdog eating contest while constipated. Or, as in your suspension woes, throwing every available bar in a rear axle system because, a) it looks kool or b) they did it on TV or c) "I saw it in a catalog and it said...".
    Ok, enough, I could get banned for excess posting if I go on. To the point, you're not alone. The truth is that all of this can be as difficult or easy as one makes it. As you've seen a time or 10 it's easy to see who brought their "give-a shit" to the game and who didn't, who's a poser and who knows the basics. This shit isn't found on the Home and Garden channels. ;)

22. i keep meaning to have a sign made for the shop:
    "it is easier to work on the damage mother nature created, than the damage the last mother that worked on it did."

23. Make 2,
    Maybe couple hundred T shirts

24. trollst

trollst

What a good looking car in the background......

blowby likes this.
  25. 5 out of 6,,
    You see what i did there? Even got the Vicky in one

26. Not sure what you're talking about Bob

27. F&J

F&J

I only could bear to read part way into page 2...... the whole point of what went wrong was not mentioned up to that point....

hate to be so blunt, but the "once, a dreamer" who owns it, had no clue...on reality. He looked at some pictures of a truck laying FLAT on the ground, aired down like a freaking handicap bus for wheelchairs, then wants it to have a ride like a new Mercedes that has tons of suspension travel...he wasted 10 primetime years of his LIFE, that he could have been out enjoying an old school truck and also pissed away tons of money...on an abortion that you could not even get a front tire removed.

that entire build is so completely OT for the old hamb.. BUT, just maybe... a few "potential" truck (or car) owners that dream of a owning a vintage modified vehicle to just take a ride on a nice summer day, will read this thread and stick to traditional builds instead...Want a Benz? then go F'n buy one.

King ford and trollst like this.
  28. You missed a bunch of content before what is now post #49 and sadly others will too. The middle of page 2 used to be the middle of page 3.

An air kneel limo or bus can be set up to operate flawlessly but critical design ideas can't simply be ignored. I don't think everyone sees that the words ignore are so closely related to the words ignorant and ignorance.

We actually did a radical design change on a Benz, 1959 190sl got a big ass V8 and OD transmission stuffed into it where it certainly doesn't belong or fit. It left here as one fine driving vehicle that looked 100% stock with the hood closed but performed better, stopped better and absolutely nothing was stock behind the sheet metal. Opening the hood you'd see an engine compartment that looked amazingly full yet appeared to have been done at the factory. On a lift one would see redesigned fine German engineering.

If someone wanted Benz ride quality in any vehicle, simply follow the benz design.

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  29. F&J

F&J

Not dissing you or your rebuild at all...but the whole point of what I wrote was that a newb can get so far off track in sorrow, in a potential 'fun car" by seeing some shiny car sitting on the ground... Even the all time classic lead sleds "sucked" as far as drivability! Who needs to hear scraping, grinding, can't even go in a dip on a driveway or angled intersection??

"M2 designation" for decades, cracks me up...they call it "Mustang" to give it some sort of cred, but it is a F'n PINTO design.. a small narrow car with shitty short A arm design.. No thanks!

If your guy went with a traditional suspension from first plan, he could have been enjoying it for years already. That is what I meant about a Benz...We like the "old vehicle look" but some want it to behave like their modern bellybutton shitbox new car...heated ball warmers...lol... I wouldn't own or DRIVE a new car! I tried..I hated it... I like old crap...I AM old crap.. LOL.. not really a joke sadly! So, I like my rides I have.. I've never had a modern car since early 90s. (my choice) I don't want them to remind me of a new car!!!...but that's not just me either.. I think that is why the patina car vibe comes from...they just want to drive an old car...and less time building it over the long haul?

So many long time vintage car owners around my area are done with high end chassis stuff, fancy paint, matching number builds...they now just want to drive the wheels off and stop thinking about showing off at Shows. I hear it a LOT.

'
    Hope you aren't pissed at me..but I rant ONLY because this is HAMB...the ONLY website preaching the OLD ways... that 4 wheel Disc braked IFS stuff should be in some sort of off topic area..JMO, ok? You got to admit, that when YOU see large rear disc brakes on a light ass car like a roadster running skinny bias...you KNOW the builder has no clue about physics!

Sun just came out, rain stopped! I'm going for a ride in a drum braked, single circuit, "axle car" on bias, baby! Someone says it is dangerous to them? ...then Stay the Fuck out of my way, you pussies!.( :) ) <<< NOTE: disclaimer for looking, um, er , rude! LMAO!!