Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B4 banger with a jeep T5 transmission to torque tube any one done it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just puzelling over Model A and B differences in belhousings . We are contemplating the notion of fitting a Jeep T5 that has been converted to closed drive torque tube to a 32 B4 banger motor in a 32 frame.
    Any HAMBers have experience on what pitfalls there are or what parts are required.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're ringing a bell, K4d...but I can barely hear it. So no real help from me. But it seems I very vaguely remember years ago reading an article about how to use the Jeep trans with early Ford engines.
    Just...can't...quite...remember...
    But I'm thinking that if it's in-fact an old trick, somebody's gotta have some info.

3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kiwimoredoor
    We need another Banger set up this way.
    If you go the Banger Meet, there is a page of links and a T-5 to torque tube is listed. It is the way crazydaddio did his.
    HAMB member Binger has done one and has info out there too. I think he went open drive though.
    Working on one right now with a NWC Jeep T-5 torque tube behind a B engine with an OHV.
    I have a bell housing that came from Precision Automotive....Bill Pugh though an AA housing can be used
    Using an AA throw out bearing
    input shaft modified for length and to accept different pilot bearing
    The input shaft bearing retainer housing is too small for the opening by roughly .040 so I'm welding tabs and machined to diameter, this is still to be done, then test assembly.
    The retainer shaft that pilots the throw out bearing is too small so machined an interference fit sleeve for the shaft.
    Have a 9" clutch disk that has the proper offset dimensions and spline count on the hub. I had a few of them custom made as they were cheaper than any other option I found, just the freight is eating away at the price. I'll have some available for around $75.00 us plus ride just re-cooping my cost and having them available for fellow HAMBers
    Kato Kings, here on HAMB makes an adapter for the Jeep T-5 to torque tube. I have one of his set-ups and am pleased. He has done quite a few. I'm still working for a living so it pays me more to do what I know than to figure out something that a fellow HAMBer can do for you.
    I need to shorten up the torque tube 7" and I picked up a NOS 3:54 gear set that should give a better operating range for the gear ratios .
    When I get a little farther along, I'll throw up some photos
    Hope this helps and I'm sure that there is unforeseen things I'm going to encounter when I get to the final assembly
    Larry

Hnstray and Kiwi 4d like this.
  4. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, went back and re-read your first post.
    There are differences between the bell housings, but you cut the back of the B oil pan off and you can use an A housing with the B pan that way and then Pugh's bolts up
    Got too excited that there was going to be another person that is willing to drop coin and effort into having something that will run with the V8 boys or even out run them
    Larry

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. Just tossing Ideas around at present. Yes I did know there were A & B pan differences . Winduptoy you obviously have a decent handle on what's required. We also plan to fit an early Cragar head etc.
    As far as pedals go will the 32 B4 pedal be compatible with this Pughs adapter? Apologies we are complete newbies to half a flathead v8.
    Any one got any pictures of a sliced n diced B pan ?

6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hnstray likes this.
  9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hnstray likes this.
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

Is there a website for that Precision Automotive - Bill Pugh? That bellhousing looks neat. I never knew somebody was making such an animal.

12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I used Crazydaddyo's adapter to go from an S-10 4WD to a torque tube rear. On the front of the I used a stock A bell and a plate. With the stock Bell you need to build an adapter to reach the clutch hub or have a custom clutch built. I had a little adapter shaft built out of a T-5 clutch and a stock model A input shaft. There are lots of pictures of what I did on my build thread listed in my signature below. Using a 32 B motor you might find a flathead trans adapter. I am not sure how different the 4 cyl is from the V8.

13. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I also hadn't seen those parts from Bill Pugh. That would make it easy. it is my understanding that if you use the AA bell you have to shorten the T-5 input shaft. But it also moves the shifter a bit further forward. the Jeep trans is a bit shorter too. However when you put a jeep name on it the price goes up for the transmission.

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow ain't the HAMB great. Many thanks to to winduptoy for taking the time to post those awesome picture. I am sure there will be many more questions to follow as I start gathering parts.
    I do know where there is a BB truck empty transmission , wonder if I cut off the bellhousing and used that plus an aluminium adapter plate to sandwich the T5 and B motor together.

15. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

Look at Graeme McNeils adapters He is your countryman and makes a nice adapter right or left hand drive for a B engine to Jeep. www.macsspeed.com

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't know that one ,thanks Liberty. We have Macs adapters on two other cars.
    I presume as his adapter fits A & B to fit it to a B the rear sump will need to be modified.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well a buddy dropped off a free 32 big truck 4 speed. Well he said thats what he had , nope he wrote 32 on it but that doesnt make a 46 4 speed a 32 trans

18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got everything bolted together and tried out the clutch, works like it should IMG_20180319_094108123.jpg IMG_20180324_102424167.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Binger and Kiwi 4d like this.