Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Small garages and how you heat them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duellym, Dec 25, 2017.

1. indyjps

indyjps

These little heaters are a stop gap, add on. Well planned garage build shouldnt need them, or if you want to go electric a bigger unit with dedicated line would be best.

My shop uses a nat gas downdraft house furnace, properly sized.

I chose the little electric for my home garage instead of an overhead gas unit I already own. Gas line, exhaust was $500 in materials, before roof work, then tear out basement ceiling to get a gas line to the garage.
    For $100 or so I can heat the well insulated home garage pretty well, its not perfect.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i have the Dayton 220V shop heater and I keep it off, when I want to work in the garage I turn it on for an hour or so and I'm good to go in coverall only, floor takes longer to heat
    pic is not mine I found online just to show

. daytonHeater.jpg

3. I have a lot to do in my garage before I can think of heat. Tear out the useless loft, go out the back 12' and spray insulate as much as possible. I'm using a kerosene heater which makes it workable. I have not worked outside the past 2 winters. I have so much clutter and badly used space to address first.

indyjps likes this.
  4. I've got a 24' X 24' shop that I heat with this Modine NG furnace that hangs from the ceiling. It has a thermostat that I keep at about 40 degrees when I'm not in the shop. Turn it up to 60 or 65 when I'm working and it's warm in there in no time. The building is pretty well insulated. It is vented to the outdoors.

P1170608.JPG

jebbesen likes this.
  5. indyjps

indyjps

Thats the same style of overhead gas furnace I have. Friend had rebuilt/ serviced 4 of them in a store, lady called a week later and said they were too loud, install something else.
    Ill use it sometime, may even install it in this house later on.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

When I read all this about heating garages, I remember how hard it was to dig a trench 3' deep by about 30' long for a gas line from the house to the garage and am glad that this time around, I just went and bought a house with two heated two car garages. Life is good. The best setup I've seen belongs to a friend of mine. His house is heated with hot water going to radiators and the boiler is located in the garage which is about 10' away from the house with the pipes run underground. The boiler gives off enough heat by itself to keep the garage tolerable in winter but if it gets really cold, there is another radiator plumbed in overhead to keep you toasty.

7. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

24X24 ft. garage with insulation everywhere. Used a kerosene Torpedo heater with a thermostat hooked up to it. After 5 minutes it would kick off for about 10 minutes, then kick back on for about 5 minutes until I would have to disconnect the damn thing for getting the garage too hot. I did have a carbon monoxide detector in the garage. Only problem I ever had with it was it was loud, so I had to wear ear protectors. My son has it now, and he loves it.

8. slim39

slim39
    from pa

What essex said moble home heater hot air

9. gonzo

gonzo

These are all good suggestions the only thing I would add is that you should take a pivoting floor fan and point it straight to the ceiling (or use ceiling fans) to keep the heat cycling back down. I started doing that in my garage and found it makes a big difference.

patmanta likes this.
  10. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Here are a couple pics of my chimney. @gonzo I've thought about a ceiling fan and may still try to do it but between the woodstrip canoe, ladders, lights and door opener I'm running out of room! :) I bet it does help though! Just bought the garage next door and plan to install an identical furnace there this summer. Hopefully that helps with the overcrowding...

20180309_074202.jpg 20180309_074329.jpg

New garage
    15206036893091429555297.jpg

Bowtie Coupe and gonzo like this.
  11. Benny's Ford

Benny's Ford

You don't really need to warm your garage in Southern California;)

12. Hey, there's no button to give the raspberries!!;)

13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

cant in the summer its too hot in the winter its too cold

14. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Listen - I'm in the business - insulate the crap out the garage and you can heat it with a flaming fart!!
    I've done it with two garages - a bunch of insulation - minimal amount of a heat source will keep you comfortable thru out the winter months.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  15. RMONTY

RMONTY

I installed a 24,000 btu heat pump in my little shop a few weeks ago. It keeps it nice and toasty in here, and I have to believe that the a/c will keep it nice and cool in here during the hot Texas summer. The shop is 20 x 24 and well insulated. The unit is purposely oversized. I couldn't have bought a window shaker heat pump for what I paid for this thing. Easy to install too....of course I made a living for many years installing and servicing commercial refrigeration and HVAC equipment.

16. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

[​IMG]

This is what my dad and I used in the 50's and early 60's. It's a salamander heater that you heat with kerosene. You can probably guess that the large vertical chimney literally glows red when it is fired up. You adjust the air with the device in the lower front. The more holes you have drawing air the hotter it gets. Worked great.

saltflats and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. Duellym

Duellym

wish i could say the same, I just got almost 3 feet of snow yesterday.

kill me.

i like this one the most i think.

18. Eh-Bone

Eh-Bone

My shop is usually warmed over with a fire fueled by rage when things aren’t working out as planned...but occasionally I’ll fire up the 220 infrared construction heater..

19. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

I would love to know if these gas or kerosene heaters produce any soot, that can build up on your collection.

20. redoxide

redoxide

I wear 3 T shirts, an ex army wollen jersey, and a fleece liner. under a padded shirt.. joggers under my jeans and insulated socks and a wooly hat. when my fingers loose any feeling its time to go in for a warm up.. its actually warmer to leave te garage door OPEN some days ..

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Old buddy and I used one of those to heat up the big hanger at the old air port when I changed out a head a cam on a 400 small block.
    We woke up the flies in there.
    He said they used those to heat up the concrete when they poured bridges in the winter.

22. cracker head

cracker head

In Texas we just put on long sleeves.......

23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

:p

24. Sprout

Sprout

2 car, insulated, no sheetrock on 2 walls. Insulated ceiling. Mr heater is worth looking into. Works amazing. Had to turn it off a few time because it got to warm in the garage[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. I often time my working in the garage on cold days when my wife returns home from anywhere she may have driven. Her warmed up car keeps the garage warm enough for a few hours.

saltflats likes this.
  26. Just upgraded today. My little 35000 btu had to run constantly to keep the garage at 50*. Found this 80000 btu on CL this morning(below pic). In 26 min it shut off at 70*. It would take an hour just to get to 50* with the old one. I'm loving it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. I remember my Papaw having one of these in his garage/body shop. I do remember it glowing red and getting crazy hot. It did heat the place up good.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  28. els

els

START UP THE OLD CORVETTE!

IMG953111.jpg IMG953110002.jpg IMG953115.jpg

Bowtie Coupe likes this.