Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Daily Driver Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 12, 2018.

1. 2935ford

2935ford

It's a hellofa dilemma.........
    Nothing we can do about it up in my neck of the woods.
    Late model mini van all year for my family.

Worked on, driven in and enjoyed, my Hot Rods are for me.
    Aren't I the lucky one! :)

2. just a thought
    if old cars are OK for us, why are they not for loved ones?

just curious

does that mean were not loved and its ok to drive 'unsafe' old stuff?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    flatheadpete likes this.
  3. adam401

adam401

Fuck getting a new truck. Get a newer BMW. Comfortable and fast enough to be fun. New white trucks are some hillbilly shit.

lewk, apenglish64 and Normant93 like this.
  4. kursplat

kursplat

"used late model" can still be last century ;)

apenglish64 likes this.
  5. Normant93

Normant93

To my knowledge you haven't had another pickup and when it's gone your gonna miss it. HRP
    Very true HRP, very true.

6. Normant93

Normant93

that's an even better idea! keep your pick up and get a low mileage 5 or 7 series!!
    see Ryan you asked and we provided.... there's nothing we can't do with your money!!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gotta always have a pickup-haul parts, engines, whatever
    Have never been without one.

47ragtop and tractorguy like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Never. It's too nice... It's my little old lady Sunday car. Seriously. I drive it during the week every now and then when the weather is nice... But usually, it's the car I use on Sunday when we go to softball games for the kids.

My german allegiance belongs to a different mark I'm afraid.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My 'late model' daily is a 300 hp Caprice wagon...it's 23 years old, seats 9, hauls damn near anything and gets decent mileage!

But I sure could use a truck now and again.

55Deso likes this.
  10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

What ever became of that German you had?

11. adam401

adam401

^ Many BMW guys are Porsche guys too. Just sayin....

pat59 likes this.
  12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

OOO. Close but no....

e z i likes this.
  13. e z i

e z i

Get ya a mid ninety's short wheel base full size van. A/C, heat, fuel injection, seat belts, cruise, room for kids, room to haul stuff, lower it, big and little American five spokes, two pipes, fun, safe, bitchin..

14. VonWegener

VonWegener

Sure it is nice to buy the $75K KingRanch and enjoy that new car smell but there is no reason to do that if you want comfort and safety. I've driven a '66 Chrysler Town & Country wagon for more than a million miles.
    Mid sixties to mid seventies American cars have all the amenities like PW, PS,PB A/C padded dashes etc and they are built like tanks. I'd take a Mopar any day in car to car combat with any modern vehicle including the KingRanch.

15. Do people really still not understand the basic physics of a crash? Either your car absorbs the energy of the crash by deforming or your body does as in your brain and organs deform by slamming into the front of your skull and ribcage.

lewk, apenglish64 and Rolleiflex like this.
  16. Interesting read. I used to always drive old stuff, everyday. Either that or a motorcycle. Then I got a family, kids, dogs, wife. For the past couple of years I’ve driven newer stuff. My daily is an 07. My wife drives a new caddy. I still have the motorcycles cuz that’s just a way of life but the old cars have taken a back seat. And I hate it. I hate driving to work every day. I’m at a point now where it’s time to hand my car over to my daughter who just got her permit, and I don’t know what to do. I live in NY. Winters are tough and I have a slight issue with driving something old and cool knowing that the winters are going to destroy it. But on the same token, I can’t stand driving new shit anymore. I hate driving normal. Part of me says buy a newer (not new) truck, lift it and do something cool with it. The other part says buy an AD pickup and roll the shit out of it.

Being responsible can be a real mother fucker.....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

18. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

P/S you can delete as needed I wont be upset.....Lol

19. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Would a slightly modernized old car satisfy your needs? A '60-66 GM suburban can haul plenty of people comfortably, as well as haul stuff for the trips to Home Depot. I recently worked over a '62 GMC suburban for my dad. I used mostly off-the-shelf components from CPP for the brake upgrades, Belltech for the lowering upgrades, and Vintage Air has direct retrofit HVAC kits for those trucks now too.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  20. kursplat

kursplat

21. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I drove a '65 F250 for a couple years as my winter beater, and it had a pretty good heater so I think there's something wrong with the heater in yours. Having said that, I agree with the rest of your points...an old car (or truck) can get pretty tiresome in everyday use. :)

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I love old cars. I love looking at 'em, I love working on 'em, I love the whole vibe. I just don't enjoy driving them. My pals think I'm nuts, and I gotta admit I'm not sure why I'm that way either.
    I've had some nice old cars... I just end up selling them after about a year and start building a new one.

Squablow and pat59 like this.
  23. 46stude

46stude

Buy an early-mid 2000s Chevy/GMC 4 door shortbed 1500. LS power- can't be beat. Just a cat back system and have it tuned. Nice set of rollers on it & you're in a cool truck that'll run like a bat outta Hell, sounds good, looks good, and hauls the whole family in comfort & safety.

And when you break out one of the hot rods for a jaunt, you'll appreciate it even more.

trollst likes this.
  24. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Kid safety always comes first.

jim snow likes this.
  25. Ryan, I thought you already had a Mercedes Benz? I understand the need for a safe daily driver with all the idiot/distracted drivers out there. I'd be looking at 4-door pickups a few years old, which must be plentiful in Texas.

26. here is the answer
    ugly.png

delete in 10. 9. 8. 7................

27. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

The new pickup question would be if you would mind hauling everything you currently haul in the old one. If the answer is no, the new pickup would be too nice for hauling scrap to her junk yard as an example, then keep the old ford and purchase a vehicle the wifie would enjoy driving too as the new car.
    Or quiz the kids, that should simplify things.

28. DouginIA

DouginIA

Get a used low milage Porsche SUV and an open car trailer. The small stuff can go in the Porsche and when you need to make a run to the lumber yard for your next wood working project hook the trailer up to the Porsche.

29. i think '64 is a late model........you want to go newer?

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  30. Tex-Avery-Car-of-Tomorrow.jpg
    this plus bubble wrap and packing peanuts