Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects If it was raining soup I would be standing in the yard with a fork in my hand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Why is it when you have the funds available you never hear about a smoking deal but blow all the extra cash you had rat holed on a new project and as sure as night follows day something interesting pops up?

I haven't actively perused one of the cars on my bucket list but I recently heard about a nice running original 50 Ford business coupe at a attractive price and you know it's not going to be for sale long.

I knew I didn't need another car but when did common sense make any difference?

I rearranged some finances and knew it would be a few days before I could get the funds in my hands,I called the owner of the car and he burst my bubble,he had just sold the car the day before.

Do you have a day late and a dollar short story?HRP

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Many Danny, Many. Bruce.

3. topher5150

topher5150

When I got my car it was basically the shell and a rolling frame. A couple of months after I got it I was looking around on some facebook groups, and I found the same car as mine complete and not nearly rusty for about the same price.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Doncha' just hate Buyer's Remorse? When I make a major purchase, I always avoid continued looking for a period of time so I don't beat myself up.

5. It's only happened to me 20 or 30 times.

ladyhrp, HunterYJ, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Plenty of day late dollar short stories.
    Plenty of lucky dog stories as well.
    Things have a way of evening out.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I went through something similar many years ago. Around the summer of '82, I was driving to my girls house. As I was approaching her street, I noticed a young guy with a '66 Vette. I stopped to take a look. It was a project and he was selling it because he was going to college. He wanted $2,000!

So, I was $1,000 short, but I had an uncle who I knew would loan me the money. It took all day to get in touch with him and get the money together. The next day, I race to the guys house and he had sold it and was helping the new owner load it on a trailer.:(

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

I use the" If it was meant to be, It was meant to be" Many times, day late, dollar short, flip side, many times, in the right place at the right time. Overall, I have been a very lucky man all of my life.

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25+ years ago, a car I had been chasing for 7 or 8 years suddenly became available to me.....a week & a half after I had closed on a house. Of course, I didn't have the money and the car went overseas to (I hope) a good home. Day late & a dollar short.

10. slug

slug

Oh boy! Don't even get me started. Slug

11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't you just buy a pretty kick ass '32 Ford coupe??

Go out in the garage and pet it and you will be fine.

-Abone.

Deucedreamer, clem, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just lost out on a below-market-rate property in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The wife wanted to go look at the lot. By the time she could, it had sold.

We could have bought it, and flipped it, as soon as the ink was dry, for a huge profit (worst case scenario).

13. You are correct,still working on getting it road worth,but it never hurts to have another car to drive while your working on a project. HRP

ladyhrp, Bruce Fischer and 3W JOHN like this.
  14. Man,that one hurts me. HRP

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  15. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

In the early 70s I saw a 56 tbird for $110.00 I told the guy I would be right back with the money less than 10 minutes it got sold before I got back

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. hmmmmm
    a day late and a dollar short thread

that one would probably rival the vintage shots thread

Caprice89, Clay Belt, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  17. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

been there many times.

ladyhrp, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  19. About a year and a half ago (+/-) I jumped into a '30 Model A coupe project.Along came a Brookville Frame ,and a bunch of stuff stockpiled for the build...The $$$$ added up quickly and Im looking at maybe another year or so in time..
    Lo and behold, true to form , recently i got a tip on a runnin '32 Vicky /sbf/C4 (Update : found out today its actually a '31 Vicky ) for about the same amount I have invested so far...No way I could have sold what I have and regained my money to buy the Vic ...Now it's long gone...
    Oh well...Back to the A project

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  20. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

1976, a friend calls me and says "can you scrape together $3000.00?"
    I had just bought a house earlier the year before, the economy was in the toilet, and I was glad to have a job.
    He says that a guy he knows is getting divorced and has to sell his 2 1966 427 Shelby Cobras!
    1 is a track car, the other is the street version, my friend wants the track car, and he knew I always had a thing for the Cobras.
    The catch is that the guy hates the soon to be ex wife, and he'll take $6000.00 for both and it's a package deal, won't sell separately!
    I was 23, married, with a 2 year old son, and a house that I just bought, yeah I can come up with $3000.00 NOT!
    The rest is history, if I had the money I would be sitting on a very valuable ass...et!
    I still own my first car so I would still have the Cobra if I just could have come up with $3000.00!
    That's my tale of woe!
    KK

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

OK. I will tell one story of woe.
    1977 and I am 18. Guy had a service station in my small town and owned a '63 fuelie Corvette that had been ridden hard and put up wet but still ran and was all original down to the black on black paint and interior. Now I had bugged him from age 16 to sell it to me and one Summer day he motioned me over and said $2000 would buy it.
    Then he said nice wheels as I was sitting in my just purchased that morning '69 Camaro Z/28. No way he would trade.
    To this day I think he waited until he knew I had spent the money I would have spent on his car for something else.

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This posting has been deleted by its author.
    :(

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and anthony myrick like this.
  23. You bet,one in #3 good condition goes for about a million. HRP

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a life late and about $30,000 short.
    Mid to late '60s...nobody wanted hot rods...the hobby had almost died...everybody was all caught up with muscle cars. I was 9-12 years old, devouring the ad section from every one of my father's Sunday papers...focusing only on '32 Fords. There were always at least 10-20 or so for sale. None over $3,500...most were much less. Told myself, "I'm gettin' me a '32 Ford in a few years. By the time I graduated in 1975 they were all sold...lol.
    Seriously, they were all 10 times the prices I'd seen as a kid.
    Thanks a lot, Pete and Jake, for reigniting the interest in hot rods before I could get one.

clem, ladyhrp, spurgeonforge and 3 others like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please sir...may I have more soup?
    What?!!!?...you what???!!!???...You want more soup?!!!?
    Yes sir.
    Hang the boy!!!

26. 6inarow

6inarow

My wife tells me I am the only person she knows who can have buyers remorse and sellers remorse all in the same transaction

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That is the way it goes with me and since I am looking for another car I decided to get a credit line so I would have cash ready to go but nothing I like has shown up.

28. Buy something and it will! :rolleyes: HRP

29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Back in 1996 a guy heard that my shop did a lot of tri fives. He had a collection of projects an 2 semi trailers of parts, There was two 55 2dr sedans , a 55 Nomad , two 56's one sedan one hardtop and a 57 hardtop. All in very restorable condition. The catch was he had everything stored at a farm a friend had. The friend and his wife where getting divorced and the farm was going up for sale. He had nowhere to go with it. Package deal $12,000 !Only problem , I had nowhere to go with it either. Money was not the problem . Dang if you do dang if you don't . But overall I did very well on deals over the years so I would say I am still ahead of the game. lol Larry

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There were a few I liked before I got cash available but they have been sold.