Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2018 Banger Meet - Equinox Time***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

4-banger music :)

GASSERBOB and ROCKER77 like this.
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

bummer on head gasket . how did you get the heat wrap looking so good ? when I try it looks like a 12 yr old did it

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

now you guys in Denmark are havin to much fun ! like the music !

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

John,
    Good eye on the pilot hole. I didn't think about that. I will have to check it out before final assembly.

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

AT LEAST IT'S AN EASY FIX. :eek:

6. unless it is in the car............................

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  7. I Start with a single wrap as tight as I can get it. I don't use the metal zip tie deals that the wrap kits come with I use Safety Wire and Safety Wire pliers (Aircraft Avionics guy by trade). After the first wrap I secure it with safety wire. keep wrapping as tight as I can get with 1/4-1/2 overlap. If it starts to loosen I loop safety wire around the loose spot and press on. Each tube is it's own run. Last wrap gets safety wire, then on to the collector. I have in the past done a continuous lacing of the safety wire from the header flange to collector in a criss-cross/ over/under pattern. that was on a SBC set of headers. I don't think I have any pics. It was a huge useless PITA, but looked spiffy.

ROCKER77 likes this.
  8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

JOHN

ONE OF MY WIVES WAS LIKE THAT! I DID JUST TRADE HER IN IN-FAVOR OF THE CURRENT MODEL :cool:

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

green73 , thank you . just patients . did you wet it first ? ............

10. Nah. Never even thought of that.

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thanks ............. steve

12. so what are the differences between an AA and a BB hogshead if trying to mount a modern trans to a B motor? Can I use a stock pan with the BB?

13. Hard to tell from this pic but there are two authentic Ford Model B parts behind the mounting plate.
    Twisted out another driveshaft flange today, rev limiter and scatter shield worked flawless.
    Only have to repair driveshaft.

IMG_0798 cropped.jpg

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the NSF on the pan, you running this in the kitchen?

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. That is a water tank on the floor for return.
    There is no oil pan on this motor, just dry sump scavenge.

My wife doesn't let me do that anymore, no parts in dishwasher, no ceramic coatings in the oven.
    She's such a killjoy.......

Outback and Old Dawg like this.
  16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, now I get it. Thank You
    Our wives must know one another... at least they know where we are;
    either in the shop or on HAMB

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. Great site guys. Enjoying. Its good to see new stuff on the A's and ideas. Mine is a work in progress. Plan for mine is keep it simple.

winduptoy likes this.
  18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

John,
    I thought El Mirage was closed this week end? Did you bust it up in the car or on the dyno?

19. Dan,
    I did it at home on the brake.
    Was pulling about 200ft# at about 4200 when it became exciting...........

J

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  20. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

21. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

this is me .... for the newbies . john do not look .......... steve Wife a ford.jpg

Attached Files:

GASSERBOB, Outback, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  23. Steve,
    I hope to hell you are not telling me not to look.
    I dig the crap out of your car, in fact, I am jealous.
    You get to drive it every day. That motor has some very sound engineering and build quality, everyone here would be proud to own. Trust me, my T is in so many pcs that I think the license plates have rusted away..........
    Enjoy the hobby and have some fun, John

PS, does she have a sister??

Old Dawg likes this.
  24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

LOL john you have so much more than I do . I have worked hard on it . thank you much . means a lot ....... steve

may have a sister but a wayward sister that never talks to us . as many motors as stan has put out I'm sure there must be at least 1 !!!

Old Dawg likes this.
  25. RussTee

RussTee

Hot English bangers have been shifting our heap of ford y and 8 and 10hp parts and have decided there are enough parts to build a traditional style 50s special along the lines of a trials special. The Poms built a great many of these including many factory specials the likes of Mistrals Dallows Bucklers Cheetahs and maybe a dozen more as well as many homebuilt specials it looks like a lot of fun and cheap as it will be built for off road use either track or hillclimb so wont have to be certified something that is becoming very expensive and limiting here though I will admit needed for road vehicals.
    I have a ford 100e motor Ford y and Prefect running gear A set of y wheels and prefect wide five wheels and drums.
    It is possible to split the front beam axel and make it independent as it is with the rear both these mods were common in the fifties and many firms produced kits for this.
    To make it interesting I have a Wilmont overhead conversion for the 100e motor and many Buckler and Mistral parts including gearboxes chassis twincarb manifolds ect . Comments welcome

Outback likes this.
  26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

any pix of what you are building (old original cars) . I'm not familiar with what you are after .

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

RUSS

I'VE RESTORED SEVERAL LOTUS 9'S AND 11'S BE CAREFUL WITH THE COIL OVER SHOCKS. CHATMAN'S MISTAKE WAS USING EYE TO EYE SHOCKS THAT BOUND BECAUSE THE MOUNTS WERE NOT IN THE SAME PLANE AND RUBBER BUSHED. AS THE GO INTO BUMP TRAVEL THE SHOCKS WOULD TWIST AND BIND LIMITING TRAVEL. A FEW INCHES. I ENDED UP USING UNI-BALLS INSTEAD OR RUBBER THIS WOULD ALLOW THE SHOCKS TO TWIST BUT CONTINUE TO TRAVEL. I USED KONI LOTUS EUROPA OR ELITE REARS IN THE REAR AND LOTUS 7 FRONTS IN THE FRONT. THESE WERE COIL OVER TO START WITH AND LOOKED CORRECT. ... TO CHECK FOR BIND YOU MOVE THE SHOCK UP FROM STATIC. IT'S ALL PRETTY SIMPLE TO MEASURE AND GET THE MOST TRAVEL. ONCE ESTABLISHED IT'S JUST A JOB OF MAKING A COLLAR TO RETAIN THE SPRING ..NO REAL NEED FOR CRANK-UP/DOWN EXPENSIVE TYPE SHOCKS.

I THINK I STILL HAVE AN 11 LM CORNER AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE.

THEY ALL HANDLE LIKE A 3-LEGGED CHICKEN BUT SCOOT AROUND PRETTY GOOD AS LONG AS YOU KEEP THE TIRES NARROW.

HAVE FUN.

Old Dawg likes this.
  28. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks Jim thats the advise I need going to go as much as possible the historic way(there are even rules for that) but should be a lot of fun they do limit the tires to 6 inches wide haha maybe as much fun as an old bugger can handle on a steep hill in the rough. I think a hot 100e has a bit of grunt too.

Old Dawg likes this.
  29. RussTee

RussTee

V4F do a search for mk5 buckler cars this is sort of what I am looking at also remember the Lotus 7 grew out of this sort of car great fun for low cost especially when you got the parts laying about I had overlooked this stuff but do remember the fun we had in the sixties racing these things they are a good learning curve and can move surprisingly fast the current trials specials sort of grew out of them they have their own website under sporting trials specials great fun for young and old HAHA

Old Dawg and Outback like this.
  30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Lotus_Mark_6.jpg

russtee like this ? cool car

Old Dawg likes this.