Register now to get rid of these ads!

synchronized 3 speed w/overdrive against the original Model A engine, w/torquetube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by manyolcars, Aug 25, 2012.

1. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Use the machined down extension housing end that holds the bearing ,,adaptor plate/clam shell mount has seal installed in mine,,,

Attached Files:

2. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

RoddyB34 that's what I was thinking of doing.. So the seal rides on the U joint right?

3. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

No on the shaft behind it ,,I’ll do some more pics of my parts tonight,,

4. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

I don't think there's enough room on mine...?

5. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

image.jpeg The seal runs behind the spline on this one ,,realise too that the stock Uni clamps against the rear bearing ,,I welded the washer to my uni so it creates a positive stop against the end of shaft ,

Departed likes this.
  6. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1446.JPG IMG_1447.JPG

Great thread guys! I'm doing one of these for my 32 sedan. By my rough calculations, the whole rig will end up about an inch longer than a 39 box, so I'm hoping to shove the 59a motor an inch forward in order to save the stock k-member and retain the stock 32 mount. I'm using an 85 RTS transmission with the 3.0 first gear. My mainshaft is off to Tim Sheridan in Michigan to get re-machined. He also builds full bolt in kits for model A's if you don't have excellent fab skills.

I like your idea of how to build the rear adapter, as it is cheap and straight forward. I wasn't that clever when I started this and went ahead and bought a bolt on plate adapter as pictured above for the early Ford trans mount from Jerry (texasfordman) in Texas.

Has anyone else done one in a stock 32 k- member?

RoddyB34 likes this.
  7. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

RoddyB34,
    Who machined your shaft and did it had to be annealed and back hardened after? Did you only anneal the end where you got it milled or the entire shaft?
    I'm thinking about machining a threaded end instead of the hole and inside threads. (Instead of a bolt I'll use a nut to hold my U-joint) that way I can get the whole thing machined with carbide tools instead of annealing the shaft.

8. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Mine was done at a local machine shop he as a lot of good machines and does a lot of this work, shaft wasn’t annealed and I was assured that it will be ok

Departed likes this.
  9. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Oh really!?
    I wonder how he cut the threads inside the end? I thought it was too hard for a tap...
    That's good to know,
    Thanks!

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

I used a sealed bearing, and threaded and plugged a hole in the transmission case.

Departed likes this.
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

After annealing, it was easy to drill and tap the shaft for the UJoint bolt

Departed likes this.
  12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Maybe it's case hardened (outer surface only), so the interior is not hardened.

seb fontana and Departed like this.
  13. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

I would anneal it, but I'm not sure if once annealed, if it will need to be re hardened? I'm not sure if the shaft would be strong enough to stay annealed either?
    I think machining a threaded end and put a nut instead would be the easiest/safest way to go.
    Also, I didn't know you could get a sealed bearing for the transmission. Is it a special order? Any part number for that sealed bearing? Thanks Manyolcars for all the good info!

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

Hey Departed, Hows it going? I took the old bearing to the bearing store and they matched it with a sealed bearing

Departed likes this.
  15. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Doing this conversion now on a 36 5w. I spent a lot of time measuring and drawing to make an adapter plate, using the tail shaft housing as a pattern. Since the original trans slung some oil out to lube the u-joint, I figured it was a good idea..... I made my adapter plate like the tailshaft housing with a recess for the drain hole to let oil that comes through the bearing drain back into the case, like the tailshaft housing does. I'll drill a hole thru the rear trans mount to let any back through that ends up in the clam shell.

My shaft is out to Moser for cut-off and splining, and should be back end of next week. Still gotta shorten my driveshaft and TT about 2-1/2", but that is in the works. Should be downhill from here, right? 20171218_140850.jpg 20171218_141119.jpg 20180103_192422.jpg :rolleyes:.

Departed likes this.
  16. nice work there.....

RoddyB34 likes this.
  17. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Yes,,nice job on the adapter plate combination of the bearing retainer and the clamshell mount in the one plate ,,that will give you a bit more shaft size to spline before it reduces down,,I’ve ran my conversion briefly and it works great and looks original in the car ,,

18. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Thanks. I'm hoping it works like I think it will....... I only drew up the adapter. A buddy got it machined for me.

19. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Unbelievable...... the post office destroyed the box and delivered it to Moser with a shaft, but not the shaft I sent.

I believe that these mainshafts are the same as T-170 top loaders. Can anybody confirm that?

20. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Sure is unbelievable ,,it's like the post office had one laying around from a previous loss ,

21. NW Transmission in Ohio may be able to help you out. Check them on the web.

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

I think I read somewhere that the 80-83 Ford 3 spd w/overdrive (T170F) had the same internal parts as the 84-87. The difference was the side mounted shifter in 80-83

23. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I have sourced another shaft. Does anybody here have dimensional specs for splines - OD, ID & Spline Width?
    They also lost my extra u-joint, and, with my calipers, I'm not comfortable having them cut based on my measurements alone and no mating piece to check.

If I can confirm my measurements with someone else, I'll probably do it. Otherwise, I'll get another u-joint to send them.

24. Funny I have been considering different ways to make my Saginaw work with my '40 Torque tube. I am going to have to come back to this and consider my options.

25. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Got my shaft back and assembled. Just gotta clean up the case and stuff it all back in. 20180306_202044.jpg

26. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Fyi
    That 3 speed w /OD was also used in Ford E 150 Vans

27. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

I got everything done on mine. Just wondering what clutch disk I can use???? I'm running a model A pressure plate and flywheel with a AA bell housing.

28. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

If you use the Ford 3 speed you could hook it up to your column shift ,,

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  29. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    When I did mine I had to get a disc made so it didn't interfere with the flywheel bolts ,,it had the late ford spline ,,I still have it,,,if you where closer you could have it ,,,it only ran in the car for a few miles ,, image.jpeg image.jpeg f

30. I don't have a column shift. I do got a '40 column but its an original floor shift column. The Sag is a GM tranny and we are converting to open drive. I got lazy, well that and I got a hair brained idea to try with my '40 rear.