Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A late introduction-Junior Conway coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Oct 10, 2009.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

I’m remembering about the color matching problems for both Jesse’s and Jr’s cars. Jesse’s was the easiest because everybody knew that it was 1947 Chrysler Andante green. An actual car manufacturer color.

Junior’s was a mystery because it was the Barris “house mix” Sam bronze. Junior kept calling it a “copperish maroon”. The process of trying to find actual photos of Junior’s car to see what it looked like, produced nothing but confusion. I’ve never seen so many different colors of the same car.

After Junior’s clone being started at least three or four times (Junior’s statement), I was having a hard time trying to get Junior to buy in to the idea that this attempt was actually going to happen. After time passed, and he started to realize how serious I was, he told me that wnen Dick Jackson recreated his ’57 T-bird, he wanted Junior’s help in finding the closest modern color that would match the original Sam bronze. They spent a fair amount of time going through all the manufactures color books, and choose a late model GM color. Junior said that Dick had the formula #, and to give him a call.

With that formula # I had a pint of color mixed at my paint store. I was shocked to see that this color had mica in it.This is the modern pearl with all the sparkles that we see on the new cars these days. This won’t do with what my goals are for this historical recreation.

I had been in the office for the last twenty five years, but I have one son that has followed me into this trade. I asked him if we can replace the mica in this formula with fine mettallic? He said “sure”.

That was exactly what was needed, and produced a beautiful copperish maroon with a smooth glow instead of all the drama that the mica has.

When I arrived at the 2011 GNRS and saw where the car had been placed, there was Jacksons recreation staged next to it. I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE THE MICA IN HIS PAINT. 132424102[1][1].jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  3. 48stude

48stude

Just the other night , I was bored with the automotive related shows on tv, so I decided to watch a dvd. What caught my interest was Mad Fabricators #7 . Seeing your car was the icing on the cake. I love your car. Bill

mikhett and loudbang like this.
  4. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks Bill, your comments are appreciated.

5. my favorite !

loudbang likes this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Found this real early shot of it.

A rare photo of Junior Conway's 1950 Ford as it appeared when Junior's older brother, Herb Conway bought it in January of 1953. The front of the hood and the grille pan were already molded, and it had the grille bar installed. It featured a Gaylord headliner, and according to Junior it supposedly once had the upholstery that was in Buster Litton's 1949 Ford. The car had a 1949 Ford Seat, while it was a 1950 Ford, and Buster's Ford had a 1950 Ford seat, while it was a 1949 Ford. Photo courtesy of Junior Conway.

A rare photo of Junior Conway's 1950 Ford as it appeared when Junior's.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. jivin jer

jivin jer

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Stogy, Gotgas, RICH B and 5 others like this.
  8. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outstanding!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I’ll be back later, only on page 6.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Made it to page 91 tonight. Very interesting. Built in California, ends up the Pennsylvania and is scrapped!!!Being recreated in Texas in 2011. This is incredible. Thanks jivin jer & son’s.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  11. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

It’s strange when people think all Merc’s were chopped. duh.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Ok finished the thread. Some of the last pages seemed to be repetitive. Got to collect my thoughts....Later.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Having given a lot of thought to the journey that you and your family took in the Recreation of Junior’s Coupe, I have a few observations and Questions. The 50’s seem light years away, I’m amazed at the builds that came out of the time period. Also I’m amazed at how few of them survived. The 60’s bought a different attitude to Kustoms. Those of us that loved them, still loved them and many other’s moved on to other interest and yes, Life Happened. I don’t believe many of the guy’s considered that there idea’s were historic, but, I do believe that George Barris did. He promoted Kustom’s (with a “K”) and was a man of vision, that vision and of others is still being appreciated today. Hence we have sites like the H.A.M.B. and Rik’s site @ CCChronicles to support this interest, but my question is are we losing the details of the history of it all? We’re not getting any younger. Your son’s involvement in bringing this car
    Back, really so that it could be enjoyed by the Geezer’s. Did they see the value of it, or was it more about helping Dad live his dream? (Love of Father is powerful). Is there enough interest by the younger folks to support this hobby/interest for the next generation.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I could have PM’d you @jivin jer with these guestions, but I also, hoped, that we would get some input from our fellow H.A.M.B.er’s. Is what we love dying? I think without the history, a lot will be lost. Are the builds of today going to be lost as those of the 50’s and 60’s? What do you think?

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  15. jivin jer

jivin jer

My son's are going different directions than I did. Dan is involved in the management of a new 80K square foot "collision repair" facility (Classic Chevrolet). Tom is wanting to start his own business. They were not familier with (in any way) the components that we were working with. They liked how the engine sounded. I don't think that they have had the discipline or interest to read this whole thread. I think it all will have more value when I'm gone.
    This is just the current state that my sons are in. I am willing to discuss this further ,if you would like. I think there is a chance that a differance could be made to the trajectory of our "hobby". UNDERSTANDING, is going to be a critical element in this discussion.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  16. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Thanks for the reply @jivin jer. What I see of our hobby is, we are such a small segment of The Car Culture (Customs). Radical to Mild I love em, Cars like Junior’s have always moved me, but when the guys started competing for points and added changes to increase the points total, well to be blunt, some became flat out ridiculous (ugly). Reading the history of Custom’s, I felt we were to take a great style and enhance it with some well thought out Modification. 49-51 Fords saved FoMoCo, and Jerry, you did a bunch of us a favor by sharing your dream with us. The value of what you’ve built is already established in this H.A.M.B community. GOD bless You and your family, you have succeeded in putting Smiles on a lot of faces and hopefully it will help create interest in this thing that we enjoy. Later—-Lou IMG_1336.JPG IMG_1171.JPG Hope to see you on the Kustom Hiway that cuts through KustomLand.

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

Did someone ask, are we losing the details of all this custom history?

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  18. Watching video, makes a large tug on the heart. Great job you and boys have done.
    Thanks for post

loudbang and rodncustomdreams like this.
  19. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Yes I did.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  20. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

loudbang likes this.
  21. jivin jer

jivin jer

Ok, I think I the answer has to be yes, of course. Look at history in general, the realization that this stuff needs to be gathered and saved, happens with every generation. I would have loved to have asked my parents/grandparents questions about things that are very important to me now, but wern't at the time.
    I have always been interested in world/american history since I was a child. I do have to say that I hav'nt found anything that matches the powerful pull of this particular history that we find on the hamb. It was (of course) present, and available looooong before the hamb excisted, but as has been said endless times, there aint no place like this place.
    I think the issue always is the quality of the data (details). Is it first hand, from people that were there at the time. After the people that were there are gone, the problems trying to capture actual facts multiply exponentualy. So, extraordinary care needs to be taken when wer'e handleing this "data".
    This is made near impossible when you bring in the human need to be subjective with the info rather than objective. This particular issue was dealt with (in depth) regarding the correct color on the Jesse Lopez coupe build.

22. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I was bummed to read that the original Jr’s Coupe was scrapped. Not so much about the car, but the history. But since you and your family have gone to the lengths and detail to recreate it, you have also shared the History of the Man and the Car. I previously shared my concern that maybe this hobby was dying.... but now after reading what you and others are doing, and with the internet, and various sites like the H.A.M.B-Kustomrama-CCChronicles. Sites like these are preserving the history. Lots of good info and I appreciate it’s accuracy. So can we agree that the future is bright. Maybe the Rodder’s Journal will inherit the longevity of Hemmings. Just a thought. How’s the Lopez Cpe. comin, any plans for a build thread? Later-Lou

loudbang likes this.
  23. loudbang likes this.
  24. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I’m sorry Jer, I’m over here on the Jr. Conway site conversing with you, and all the while you’ve already done the Jesse Lopez Coupe. HOLY COWJerry your moving too fast. LOL

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. jivin jer

jivin jer

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY! Yup, its me, its not a ghost. I'm still alive. 2018 was quite a ride, health issues,car issues, but we "press on". All the best to you and yours. thumbnail.jpg

kidcampbell71, Stogy, 'Mo and 12 others like this.
  26. Merry Christmas !

loudbang likes this.
  27. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

Merry Christmas to you.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

loudbang likes this.
  29. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Jiivn Jer, Ive been through this thread about 20 times in the past few months or longer, grateful for all the detail you put in it and explained the steps you went through to get it finished. It aswered alot of questions i had in my mind about the car and gvae me more ideas to use on my 51 coupe. just curious about how the coupe is now? Any updated pics??

chryslerfan55, 48stude and loudbang like this.
  30. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well it’s very interesting that you’ve asked. There is something stirring and it’s just around the corner hang on a bit

chryslerfan55, 48stude and Pipes like this.